Gatwick or Heathrow?

gardengirl2011

Only Gatwick has a direct train from the airport to Southampton. When we took the QM2 we did it and it was so easy. We grabbed our bags and walked to the airport train station, bought our tickets and hopped on.

Now It does make several stops but is very convenient and inexpensive. I think it took about 2 hours. Plenty of taxis at the Southampton station to get you to your hotel or the port. Southampton is a nice city to explore if I you have never been and arrive a day early.

Steve

Edited by WNcruiser

Hi

Gatwick has a train

Heathrow has very good bus service

But what about flying to Paris and train into Uk

Or Fly into a regional air port like Edinburgh or Glasgow and fly straight into

Southampton.

Often avoiding direct London flights saves money.

yours Shogun

Given that only a few airlines fly from SoFla to LGW, you might want to look at their options and then decide of Gatwick may be right. BA flies from Orlando and Tampa, Virgin Atlantic from Orlando and Norwegian from Ft Lauderdale. Otherwise, you'd have to connect in Europe, then to Gatwick. One other thought is to fly to Southampton via Paris.

Frankly, it does not matter which of the two airports you fly into/out of.

So, pick the airport that has the best combination of airfares and flight schedules that you like.

Transportation to/from Southampton can be done as described in above posts or you can have a Princess transfer.

I disagree with your flippant dismissal of this question. The airports have different services, airlines and amenities. In addition, the area around the airports is quite different.

For example, I enjoy an overnight at the Gatwick area, if only for Ye Olde Six Bells pub, which is a short walk from either the Travelodge or the Holiday Inn. At Heathrow, you don't have an option as convenient as this. Ditto with having a Tesco next door to the HI at LGW - you won't find that at LHR.

So, pick the airport that has the best combination of airfares and flight schedules that you like.
That's part of the multitude of factors.
Transportation to/from Southampton can be done as described in above posts or you can have a Princess transfer.
But, as noted, there is no rail option from LHR without either a bus segment to the train or heading into London itself and transferring there. From LGW, you have train service at the terminal.

There is another option, Smithtotheairport.com (provides private car transfers). We have used them as well as regular taxis we have picked up at the airport... we opt for private transfer after traveling from San Francisco. We usually stay at an airport hotel, make the transfer the following day.

There is another option, Smithtotheairport.com (provides private car transfers). We have used them as well as regular taxis we have picked up at the airport... we opt for private transfer after traveling from San Francisco. We usually stay at an airport hotel, make the transfer the following day.

Doh! I think you meant to type "SmithsforAirports.com"...

I disagree with your flippant dismissal of this question. The airports have different services, airlines and amenities. In addition, the area around the airports is quite different.

The original question did not ask about airport amenities or what is in the area of the airport.

If the goal is to fly to London and then go to the ship, airport restaurants and other amenities do not matter that much. Nor do pubs near the airport.

The selection of airline/flight schedule/flight pricing will end up with the result of Heathrow or Gatwick and the simplest way to the ship from the airport will not involve a train or bus followed by a cab ride.

Thus, in my opinion, I would not change airlines or pay a higher price to end up at one airport over the other.

If the goal is to fly to London and then go to the ship, airport restaurants and other amenities do not matter that much. Nor do pubs near the airport.

If the goal is to get to the ship, why not just fly into Southampton? Easily done from CDG (Paris).

As for amenities, one also has to LEAVE the UK after the cruise (assuming a return to SOU). A restful overnight before heading home is a desirable option, thus all the other factors DO come into play.

But....why try to convince you of that.

If the goal is to get to the ship, why not just fly into Southampton? Easily done from CDG (Paris).

As for amenities, one also has to LEAVE the UK after the cruise (assuming a return to SOU). A restful overnight before heading home is a desirable option, thus all the other factors DO come into play.

But....why try to convince you of that.

First, many of the flights from the US to the UK are least expensive going in/out of LHR. We regularly research flying into the continent first (Amsterdam) but it is always less expensive to go to LHR.

We have flown out of either LHR or Gatwick post cruise - but found the Princess transfer is longer to get to LGW, thus one has to take a later flight.

The Princess EZair tool allows one to fly back from any airport in Europe, but not on the same day as arrival in port. So we will typically fly from Texas to LHR. Book a one way from the UK to AMS, then return from AMS after visiting Holland. When booking flights one might also consider adding a land vacation post cruise, as the cost from North America to the UK is very dear.

Great for those who live in Paris.

No so great for those flying from North America.

Since you obviously can't figure out that one would fly to Paris and then connect to SOU, there's no sense to continue.

Bet you think that a "direct flight" is the same as a "non-stop".

Since you obviously can't figure out that one would fly to Paris and then connect to SOU, there's no sense to continue.

No, but I consider CDG as one of the worst places to connect flights.

Per one posting on the Internet:

I'd like to talk about one of the most frightening things in travel today -- a tight connection at Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport (CDG).

I know better than to try, but on my recent trip home from Venice to Houston, I tried anyway.

The only other connection would have required my family to wake up at 3:30am, leave our cruise ship for the airport at 4:30am and lay over for five hours at CDG. I decided to live on the edge.

I took the connection offered by the airlines when I booked my tickets -- one hour and 10 minutes. By the time my flight from Venice arrived in Paris, my flight to Houston had already departed.

All travelers know that sooner or later your number comes up and something goes awry, but attempting a short connection at CDG, Europe's most-delayed airport, is like playing Russian roulette with no empty chambers in the gun.

CDG is France's own Bermuda Triangle, where people and their luggage go quietly missing in huge quantities on a daily basis, only to emerge later, unable to explain what happened or where they have been.

At any given time, there are enough people lost or stranded in CDG to line the entire course of the Tour de France, elbow to elbow. In fact, if you took all these travelers and stacked them on top of each other...well, that's probably not a good idea.

We queued up at Air France's service desk, and when I reached the front of the line, the agent confirmed what I already knew, that there was no other flight that could get us to Houston that day and we'd be spending the night.

I asked about our luggage, and she seemed surprised to hear that people traveling from Venice to Houston might check bags.

"Ohhh," she winced, shaking her head as if a grave mistake had been made. "You will need to go to baggage services to retrieve your bags."

Where is that?

"Take a left and walk 10 minutes."

I learned long ago that most people who work at CDG have given up on providing complete directions to anything that is not already within sight. They seek merely to move you along. I had been given the standard directions to anything and everything at CDG.

Eventually, in baggage services, it was explained that bags "in transit" cannot be retrieved. Why? It's simple:

"If these bags could be retrieved, they would no longer be in transit, and these bags are in transit, making retrieval impossible."

So rather than disturb our bags, presumably still enjoying some forward momentum, we were each given a small box with one white T-shirt, a toothbrush, a razor, an impenetrable pouch of shaving cream and laundry detergent--in case we decided to wash the clothes we were wearing in the sink in our hotel room.

To be clear, I don't blame the people who work on the airplanes or the people who work in the airport for the way the airport operates. These are problems that cannot be solved at the individual level, and possibly not at the country or planet level. This is inefficiency of galactic proportions, and a galactic solution may be required.

I even like Air France, mostly. I have enjoyed good crews and clean, modern planes with this airline. I believe they are hampered by the sad reality that most of their flights begin or end at CDG, Europe's most illogical airport.

For example, what are the airlines at CDG hiding from? There seems to be no signage outside or inside the terminals that lists airline ticketing/check-in locations.

Security checkpoints could also use some attention. Earlier in our vacation, standing in a very long security line for a flight to Barcelona, I couldn't help noticing that each conveyor belt was allocated TWO trays, which meant that only one person at a time could go through the laborious process of emptying their pockets and removing their metallic objects.

Maybe it's a job creation project since it results in lines that move at about 1/5 the theoretical rate and thus requires 5x as many conveyor belts -- and operators.

Then there's Terminal 2, a series of loosely connected buildings identified as 2A to 2F. They all sound so close, but that's just one of the inside jokes CDG plays on travelers.

Terminal 2 covers an area roughly the size of Belgium. Strike out walking from 2A to 2F and your passport will likely expire en route.

My advice: Always allow extra time for connections at CDG if you can. Never take the last flight of the day to connect to a cruise or tour departure -- where the penalty for a missed connection or cancelled flight is so steep. If you want to live dangerously, do it on the way home.

No, but I consider CDG as one of the worst places to connect flights.

Per one posting on the Internet:

I'd like to talk about one of the most frightening things in travel today -- a tight connection at Paris' Charles de Gaulle airport (CDG).

I know better than to try, but on my recent trip home from Venice to Houston, I tried anyway.

Wow Bill, that was an awesome post.

First of all you didn't take the flame bait. Good on you.

But best, you channeled your inner Bill Bryson with your evaluation CDG. As someone who has been there and done that, I can say that was spot on.

CDG to me is a prime example of valuing form over function. Pretty much all curves and flourish at the expense of actually accomplishing something. Just love the habitrail escalators. NOT

As someone who has transited CDG on numerous occasions over the last 15 years, a couple of points:

1) Note the poster (we don't know who it is) said they were living on the edge with a 1:10 connect. I'd say that was not just on the edge, it was bad judgment. But, somehow it turned out to be the fault of CDG.

2) The issue with luggage is pretty standard. Your bags are in the transit system and you're given "the kit". One should not expect them pulled out. In fact, they very well may have been put on a completely different routing than the people were, so they would actually arrive before the pax. But again, that's the fault of CDG.

3) The signage used to be horrible. Now, likely due to the AF/KL merger, the signage has gotten much better. In addition, all SkyTeam flights are now concentrated into T2E and T2F (with a few "commuter" flights at T2G). Much easier and almost no bus gates.

4) The talk about the habitrail escalator tubes is referring to the old T1. No airlines that do connections at CDG use T1 - it's purely O/D, so that's another red herring.

5) Cute and folksy. But didn't address factual issues and preferred to use phrases like "galactic proportions". This is prima facie evidence of a desire to be a story teller and fabulist rather than engage in serious discussion.

6) Still doesn't admit that a flight from the USA can connect at CDG and fly directly into Southampton. Ending any need for train or bus travel from LHR or LGW.

And, for beg3yrs....this was never flame bait. I don't flame, I present facts and rational argument. But if you want stories....boy, can I tell you why you shouldn't fly on TWA or Varig or PanAm. Western and Capital and National as well. And those could be SO entertaining.

As someone who has transited CDG on numerous occasions over the last 15 years, a couple of points:

1) Note the poster (we don't know who it is) said they were living on the edge with a 1:10 connect. I'd say that was not just on the edge, it was bad judgment. But, somehow it turned out to be the fault of CDG.

Not limited to CDG, but the connection was airline "legal". Many airports around the world have legal connection times that often do not work out.

Of course, the person who wrote about his experience at CDG had a flight that ended up arriving after the connecting flight had left. Not CDG's fault.

At LHR, the legal connecting time for arriving/departing at T5 is 60 minutes.

Only through experience does one know that even connecting in the same terminal requires going through security again and this can take 75 minutes or more at T5 on a bad day.

The average person flying has no idea that the connecting time an airline allows is not long enough.

Not limited to CDG, but the connection was airline "legal". Many airports around the world have legal connection times that often do not work out.

Of course, the person who wrote about his experience at CDG had a flight that ended up arriving after the connecting flight had left. Not CDG's fault.

At LHR, the legal connecting time for arriving/departing at T5 is 60 minutes.

Only through experience does one know that even connecting in the same terminal requires going through security again and this can take 75 minutes or more at T5 on a bad day.

The average person flying has no idea that the connecting time an airline allows is not long enough.

It may be "airline legal," but it's incredibly stupid for a passenger to buy an international flight with that short of a layover time. I work for CBP, and you would not imagine how many people scream at us because we "made" them miss their connecting flight. When I was working in a major airport, I told passengers when they complained to me, "Sir (or Ma'am), I didn't book your flights. I'm sorry you missed your connection, but next time don't book an international flight with a 1 hour layover at the busiest airport in the world."

After working with CBP for several years, I'm very uncomfortable booking domestic flights with layovers less than 1.5 hours, and will absolutely not book an international layover of less than 3-4 hours. I've seen people standing in lines for HOURS when our networks go down unexpectedly and we have to do everything by hand, or when there's severe weather and the airports prohibit any ramp movement.

And, for beg3yrs....this was never flame bait. I don't flame, I present facts and rational argument

Sure seems the first quote is flame bait ... just sayin ...

Hi All

Other routes folks can think about are flights into Ireland, hire a car and

take a road trip/ferry to Southampton,

or Iceland you often get free hotel accommodation for staying a night,

get place for a stop on route.

yours Shogun

Hi All

Other routes folks can think about are flights into Ireland, hire a car and

take a road trip/ferry to Southampton,

Sorry, Shogun, you make some excellent recommendations, but I don't think that this is one of them.

Ferries between UK and Ireland have a captive market which results in silly prices at least double what I pay to take the ferry from the UK to France.

We live quite close to Southampton and a couple of weekends back we went to a wedding in Belfast. I checked out the comparative costs of taking my taking my car up to Holyhead, then over to Ireland and up to Belfast and the total cost, excluding any car rental cost (and remember these would be an INTERNATIONAL one way rental!!) it was over FOUR times the cost of parking the car at SOU and flying two of us plus our bags from Southampton over to Belfast.

Hi

Do not cost for England but Scotland Ireland are around £100 for car and two adults cheaper if on sale a bit more for last minute bookings. That aside what l was trying to show that you do not need to just fly to London, my last US trip l went via Iceland great place for a visit had option of nights stay, You could fly Dublin Southampton for around same cost.

Yours Shogun