Celebrity vs. RCCL dress code

CruisingChick

So I will be sailing on Liberty of the Seas in 28 days and wanted to check the dress code. I assumed it was the same as Celebrity's but it's not. This is what is listed on the RCCL website.

Dinner attire...

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Really jacket and ties for men on Smart Casual???

Here's Celebrity's

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

I am actually stunned that RCCL has 3 different dress categories. On our 10 night cruise we have 2 Formal, 2 Smart Casual and 6 Casual days.

We are Diamond on RCCL ( 1st was in 1990 ) just reached our 300th point for Elite on X.

You will find no difference once you are on board, except there will be no enforcement of a 'coat' required on formal evenings to enter the MDR. Our last 2 on RCCL were the Mariner in 2007, and the Freedom in 2011.

This is only a 'suggested' item.:rolleyes:

Edited by wallie5446

We are Diamond on RCCL ( 1st was in 1990 ) just reached our 300th point for Elite on X.

You will find no difference once you are on board, except there will be no enforcement of a 'coat' required on formal evenings to enter the MDR. Our last 2 on RCCL were the Mariner in 2007, and the Freedom in 2011.

This is only a 'suggested' item.:rolleyes:

I was just shocked they list 3 different categories. I've found that on some Celebrity cruises they also lack enforcement.

we just returned from a 7 night cruise on IOS. No dress code anymore. They write the suggested dress code as formal or casual. There were 30 to 40% of men and women in shorts/hot pants in the MDR every night. Some people came straight from the pool and were allowed in. We spoke to the senior staff and were told the dress code is a suggestion only and they have been told to not say anything or refuse entry to MDR to anyone.

We did not like this at all!!!!!!

I was just shocked they list 3 different categories. I've found that on some Celebrity cruises they also lack enforcement.

Are you looking at a RCCl site from years ago or some random cruise site? You can read a current FAQ for the correct info. The idea of three dress guidelines hasn't been in play for many years.

Just follow what you have done on Celebrity and you are good.;)

we just returned from a 7 night cruise on IOS. No dress code anymore. They write the suggested dress code as formal or casual. There were 30 to 40% of men and women in shorts/hot pants in the MDR every night. Some people came straight from the pool and were allowed in. We spoke to the senior staff and were told the dress code is a suggestion only and they have been told to not say anything or refuse entry to MDR to anyone.

No I wouldn't like that at all either. Guess I will ignore what they have on their web-site. Thanks for posting.

Are you looking at a RCCl site from years ago or some random cruise site? You can read a current FAQ for the correct info. The idea of three dress guidelines hasn't been in play for many years.

Just follow what you have done on Celebrity and you are good.;)

I went to RCCL.com and searched for formal nights to see how many formal nights there were on our cruse and came upon a link: "What to Pack" so I clicked on it and that's what I got.

Here's the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

WOW. I get if cruise lines want to cut out formal nights. But to throw all guidelines out the window to allow shorts in MDR for dinner? No.

I'd guess the dining room's whole atmosphere could change with this philosophy.

Edited by eandj

I have been on several cruises with Royal Caribbean. I have been on both the Oasis and the Allure, as well as Radiance class and Voyager class. I, personally, have not seen shorts in the main dining room for dinner any night, - formal, smart casual or casual nights - with the exception of the first night (as all luggage may not have been delivered). On formal nights, I don't see a lot of men in a tux, but most (not all) are in a shirt, tie and coat. Ladies wear long formal dresses, long dresses, short cocktail dresses, short dresses and some are in dressy and not so dressy pant suits. I never noticed jeans in the MDR on formal nights, but have seen them on other nights.

Our one cruise on RCCL was two years ago. It said the same thing on the website before our cruise, but none of the nights were actually designated smart casual. We had our two formal nights (which were not actually very formal in practice) and the rest were all casual. (One night was also designated "Caribbean night," which was odd as we weren't even in the Caribbean. I wore a skirt with flowers on it and my husband wore his brightest colored shirt. Most people seemed to ignore it.)

WOW. I get if cruise lines want to cut out formal nights. But to throw all guidelines out the window to allow shorts in MDR for dinner? No.

I saw shorts in the MDR on the Summit in August. Men with no jacket or tie on formal night in the MDR.

Who enforces it? It's so crowded and there was never any maître d' or hostess standing by the entrance.

I think you will find that officially, the dress code between the lines is the same, the enforcement is different. After being on many Celebrity cruises, we were on LOS in July, & shorts (men's) were prevalent on all but formal nights. Granted, they were "dress" shorts, but still shorts. We thought the food & service in theMDR was on a par with today's Celebrity. The buffet was another story. We had a great time!

Edited by richsea

I have been on several cruises with Royal Caribbean. I have been on both the Oasis and the Allure, as well as Radiance class and Voyager class. I, personally, have not seen shorts in the main dining room for dinner any night, - formal, smart casual or casual nights - with the exception of the first night (as all luggage may not have been delivered). On formal nights, I don't see a lot of men in a tux, but most (not all) are in a shirt, tie and coat. Ladies wear long formal dresses, long dresses, short cocktail dresses, short dresses and some are in dressy and not so dressy pant suits. I never noticed jeans in the MDR on formal nights, but have seen them on other nights.

This is a recent change to allow people into MDR with shorts. We have been on Oasis and Allure and othe RCL ships and this was not the pattern till last weeks cruise. Not sure when this change was made but was not the case 6 months ago on Liberty.

Edited by vkb2751

WOW. I get if cruise lines want to cut out formal nights.

But to throw all guidelines out the window to allow shorts in MDR for dinner?

My GOD, man! We're talking UNIVERSAL ARMAGEDDON here! :eek: :D :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

There is a big difference between the "official dress code" posted on their websites and reality. Having cruised many times on both lines, experience has shown me that Celebrity folks dress far more elegantly. Not necessarily formal, but high end class. Of course there are exceptions to be seen on both lines, lovely folks and apparel on RCI and some not so nice on Celebrity. Almost anything goes these days. ALTHOUGH if you're asking the difference, I would have to say Celebrity "wins" for compliance with dress code. That being said, each to his own, be comfortable and enjoy! Whatever floats your boat!!

Happy cruisen'

Susan

I can tell you with absolute certainty that on the July 16th sailing of Liberty of the Seas there were numerous men in the MDR wearing shorts on other than formal nights. I only noticed it because I was very happy to see that they allowed shorts, & look forward to wearing them on my next Royal Caribbean cruise.

I went to RCCL.com and searched for formal nights to see how many formal nights there were on our cruse and came upon a link: "What to Pack" so I clicked on it and that's what I got.

Here's the link:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

After following the link, it's pretty clear that Royal Caribbean has a dressier dress code. That sort of follows the impression you get from the TV commercials. (Living in S. Florida, they're on all the time.) Royal's commercials give a young, hip, well dressed vibe.

Celebrity used to have a 3 tier dress code - loved it then and still pack that way now. Every night on a cruise ship is date night for us. :D

To each his own I know but for me - cruising will cease when the romance of the experience is gone - and grown men in dressy linen shorts with their hairy legs showing - well forget about it. :o

After following the link, it's pretty clear that Royal Caribbean has a dressier dress code. That sort of follows the impression you get from the TV commercials. (Living in S. Florida, they're on all the time.) Royal's commercials give a young, hip, well dressed vibe.

LOL. Whatever the codes are the passengers on Celebrity dress up more than passengers on Royal Caribbean. Don't go by TV commercials.

There is one major different between the two lines and that is in RCCL's use of the word "suggested". Celebrity's wording leaves a little less room for interpretation.

I don't consider this a major difference. Have recently been on both and I don't see any significant difference in the actual level of dress.