Celebrity vs. RCCL dress code

CruisingChick

I was just shocked they list 3 different categories. I've found that on some Celebrity cruises they also lack enforcement.

I agree! I am surprised at them bringing back the three categories. Holy moley haven't seen that since cruising in the 90's on Royal. I remember then they actually enforced it too. Two levels of dress is acceptable. More than that, not anymore...at least for us.

Edited by eandj

LOL. Whatever the codes are the passengers on Celebrity dress up more than passengers on Royal Caribbean. Don't go by TV commercials.

I believe you, considering the different demographics. I was just surprised that Royal Caribbean had a stricter written dress code.

Years ago, there were 3 different types of evening attire on Celebrity. Guidelines were strict. Formal night was truly formal...tuxedos and fancy long gowns were the norm. Informal nights were dress up with shorter skirts and fancy blouses or dresses and dress slacks,tie and sports jacket. Casual was still dressy....no shorts, jeans, flipflops, or tank tops. Many people were turned away if they were not dressed as written in the official guidelines. While it meant bringing more clothes to wear, it was clear as to what was appropriate each evening. I used to pack 2 large cases to bring my clothing. Airlines did not charge extra for luggage. Cruising was expensive. I used to buy fancy clothing just for the cruise. The world has changed. Now almost everyone is casual. Now I try to pack light. Not only are the airlines charging for luggage, my aching back makes packing light a must. I bring basic clothing items that will allow me to get fed in the MDR. No gowns or tuxedos in my my luggage. I pack light ( 3 days worth of clothing) and use the ship laundry. Be sure to bring clothes that can be washed. Leave the fancy stuff home. Keep it simple and clean. I have never been turned away from the MDR.

This is a recent change to allow people into MDR with shorts. We have been on Oasis and Allure and othe RCL ships and this was not the pattern till last weeks cruise. Not sure when this change was made but was not the case 6 months ago on Liberty.

We sailed on both Oasis and Allure last year and shorts were in evidence in the MDR on most nights.

On our recent Infinity cruise one guy sitting next to the captain's table wore shorts every night except formal nights when he switched to cargo pants.

If there is no enforcement on either line, why not just change the FAQs and let all of us save on our luggage fees.

I have seen so many of these threads on dress codes....and most postings are about how much can i get away with.....what is the least compliance that the line will accept. I just don't get it......You book a cruise on Celebrity because they are more upscale....have elegant ships.....and then want to dress in opposition to what you have booked.....people keep chipping away at what is acceptable ...especially on formal nights...and I am telling you...it will not be long until people are showing up in sweats.

While it's not the end of the world, Isn't a major point of going on the cruise to get out of the ordinary? You can spend all day in shorts or whatever....why can't people make a little effort for an hour or two on a couple of nights......there was a time people used to dress up to fly.....it was much more elegant...people drank their drinks from glass hi-ball glasses.....look at a coach flight now....it looks like a trailer park...nobody want's to put any effort into showing a bit of class and style....And it's not like there are not cruise lines catering to those that want a more casual atmosphere....I find it all a bit sad.

I have seen so many of these threads on dress codes....and most postings are about how much can i get away with.....what is the least compliance that the line will accept. I just don't get it......You book a cruise on Celebrity because they are more upscale....have elegant ships.....and then want to dress in opposition to what you have booked.....people keep chipping away at what is acceptable ...especially on formal nights...and I am telling you...it will not be long until people are showing up in sweats.

While it's not the end of the world, Isn't a major point of going on the cruise to get out of the ordinary? You can spend all day in shorts or whatever....why can't people make a little effort for an hour or two on a couple of nights......there was a time people used to dress up to fly.....it was much more elegant...people drank their drinks from glass hi-ball glasses.....look at a coach flight now....it looks like a trailer park...nobody want's to put any effort into showing a bit of class and style....And it's not like there are not cruise lines catering to those that want a more casual atmosphere....I find it all a bit sad.

One can and should dress up if they feel inclined to do so. I hope that Celebrity enforces the dresscode. What I don't understand are cruisers who claim that their cruise was ruined because someone came into the dining room not wearing a jacket. Instead of enjoying the good service, food and company they dwell on the clothing of strangers.

One can and should dress up if they feel inclined to do so. I hope that Celebrity enforces the dresscode. What I don't understand are cruisers who claim that their cruise was ruined because someone came into the dining room not wearing a jacket. Instead of enjoying the good service, food and company they dwell on the clothing of strangers.

They don't enforce the dress code. That does not bother me. And I do dress up on Celebrity although no more tux for me, either a suit or a sports jacket on the formal evenings. It doesn't upset me what other people are wearing, a jacket or not. I don't even care if they are wearing shorts to dinner which I won't do on Celebrity. I have not worn shorts to dinner on Royal Caribbean either but I probably would not feel out of place doing that on Royal because it has become pretty common on that line. I think that on Celebrity passengers tend to dress more to the suggestions than on Royal Caribbean but that might not be the case in five years. As some have noted, dress evolves. The trend has been toward casualness.

I just got off the Freedom a few weeks ago. Trust me there was no dress code! Shorts and tshirts every night even on formal night. I just tried not to let it bother me and it didn't. They did look like slobs though. One woman was always dressed up and her partner wore shorts every night... Oh well Happy cruising!

Although the trend is moving toward casualness, I say wear what you wish, as long as it's suitable. Would you wear shorts and t-shirts to an upscale restaurant at home?

That being said, with no enforcement of dress code, DH and I choose to continue to "dress up". Yes, it takes up more space in the suitcases. But we are not retired yet, and I get a chance to wear my long dresses, silks and jewelry. Hubby wears a sport coat and tie, and most of time leave the tux at home.

In my opinion, it fits the style and elegance of the Celebrity ships. And we feel like we are on a date every evening ;)

Even on RCI, I bring my black and bling. On the other hand, on NCL DH does not even bring a sportcoat.

Our next Celebrity cruise is in January 2016. We did not see people wearing shorts during dinner in the MDR during our last Celebrity cruise in February 2015. I think people should use common sense when dressing for dinner in a nice restaurant, e.g., the Main Dining Room. Shorts and T shirts are inappropriate dress. It takes away from the ambience of the dining experience. If someone finds it too bothersome to put on a clean pair of pants, then they should dine in the buffet.

By the way, we took a 14 night river cruise on Viking this past summer (at a cost of $5,000 per person) and some of the men wore shorts at dinner in the dining room, despite the cruise "rules" which called for pants at dinner time. Some people are just lazy or don't want to follow rules. They are inconsiderate to their fellow cruisers by disregarding what is expected behavior.

I realize that this topic has been beaten to death on many forums, but just have to chime in.

We typically cruise on Azamara, which is smart casual every night, and suits me just fine...I dress up a little and my DH wears a dress shirt and slacks.. However, there are those few there who push this guideline to its limit, showing up in the least acceptable attire which will gain them access to the dining room. However, it is my cruise line of choice and I have other cruises booked with them.

We are taking our first cruise on Celebrity in January and I am, quite frankly, looking forward to dressing up a bit more than we're accustomed to. It is difficult to articulate how I feel when others don't comply with the dress code. No, it's not going to ruin my evening and no, I'm not a snob. But, I plan to pack dressy clothes, because there are "formal" nights and I think that's fun. It makes the evening very festive...I'm a Southern girl, and we love to dress up. If I didn't want to dress for the evening I would (a) choose another venue for that night or (b) choose another cruise line. The guidelines are public information...why select a cruise line that has rules you don't want to follow?

If I didn't want to dress for the evening I would (a) choose another venue for that night or (b) choose another cruise line. The guidelines are public information...why select a cruise line that has rules you don't want to follow?

The reason that passengers don't dress according to the guidelines or follow the rules is because the cruise lines guidelines and rules are out of sync with where fashion has moved in our culture. That is why Celebrity and Royal Caribbean can't enforce dress guidelines or rules. Resisting cultural change is futile. You can keep printing the old guidelines but how passengers actually dress is going to tend to reflect current reality not the dead past.

Edited by Charles4515

On our recent Celebrity cruise my husband didn't pack a jacket because we had been travelling for 8 weeks pre-cruise. I approached guest services and was told he could borrow jacket when entering the MDR on formal night. When we arrived he was told a jacket was not required. Another passenger we spoke to was told the same. He did wear a tie though.

They don't enforce the dress code. That does not bother me. And I do dress up on Celebrity although no more tux for me, either a suit or a sports jacket on the formal evenings. It doesn't upset me what other people are wearing, a jacket or not. I don't even care if they are wearing shorts to dinner which I won't do on Celebrity. I have not worn shorts to dinner on Royal Caribbean either but I probably would not feel out of place doing that on Royal because it has become pretty common on that line. I think that on Celebrity passengers tend to dress more to the suggestions than on Royal Caribbean but that might not be the case in five years. As some have noted, dress evolves. The trend has been toward casualness.

I went on my first Celebrity cruise last month. I have been on several lines, mainly Royal Caribbean (over 25 RCL cruises). I was surprised because I had been led to believe Celebrity was more upscale and premium. I did not see a difference from Royal Caribbean. The food was not better and people were not more dressed up. My DH and I dress very nice each evening, dresses and heels for me and slacks with dress shirt for DH. On formal nights we dress even nicer.

They are both mass market cruise lines.

.....if they see a polo and chinos crowd that is what they will base the food and service levels to.....why should they go to the extra cost to provide exceptional service and food quality to those that would seem to be happy with a lower level.

How a group of customers dress may affect the style of food and service they receive but it should never affect the quality. I expect what I am paying for no matter how I am dressed. Any cruise line or restaurant that thinks otherwise will not last long unless they are catering to an elitist market. Celebrity, being a mass market cruise line are not.

I've seen some appalling service and food in dining rooms where everyone was dressed to the nines, and some of the best food and service I have received was on a Carnival cruise with more relaxed dress standards.

The reason that passengers don't dress according to the guidelines or follow the rules is because the cruise lines guidelines and rules are out of sync with where fashion has moved in our culture. That is why Celebrity and Royal Caribbean can't enforce dress guidelines or rules. Resisting cultural change is futile. You can keep printing the old guidelines but how passengers actually dress is going to tend to reflect current reality not the dead past.

No the reason is because the lines don't enforce their own standards.

Now the reason they don't is a different issue.

But the lines need to either change the rules or enforce them, as it is they are advertising one thing and delivering another.

dress for fast food and that is what you will get........people have endlessly commented on the long slide in food quality on Celebrity from the early days....and being part of a corporation...I think they figure that people that dress low will not really know the difference in what they are eating. people that care...care about their dress their car their home...as well as their food....and it shows....

How a group of customers dress may affect the style of food and service they receive but it should never affect the quality. I expect what I am paying for no matter how I am dressed. Any cruise line or restaurant that thinks otherwise will not last long unless they are catering to an elitist market. Celebrity, being a mass market cruise line are not.

I've seen some appalling service and food in dining rooms where everyone was dressed to the nines, and some of the best food and service I have received was on a Carnival cruise with more relaxed dress standards.

dress for fast food and that is what you will get........people have endlessly commented on the long slide in food quality on Celebrity from the early days....and being part of a corporation...I think they figure that people that dress low will not really know the difference in what they are eating. people that care...care about their dress their car their home...as well as their food....and it shows....

This is simply not true. The culture now is to dress casual. That is why Blu has a relaxed dress code but better food and service.

It is generally conceded that Blu and Luminae offer better food than the MDR. The dress code in Blu and in Luminae is smart casual with no formal nights. The "long slide in food quality" has nothing to do with dress codes and everything to do with the demand for cheaper cruises. If you're not willing to pay for better food, then you will get fast food.

BTW, the cruise lines more upscale than Celebrity tend to have more relaxed dress codes. The quality of food served on those line must be very bad, very bad indeed.