B to B and wine

hunt182644

On a b to b are you allowed to bring two bottles of wine on board if you were on the first sailing? Have about wore the search mode out to no avail.

It depends, if you end up with an in transit pass, then no.

If you have to re-check in, then yes.

I doubt the latter will be the case, so I will venture a no.

It just depends upon your cruise.

Back-to-back or what is now called a Collectors Cruise, once you leave the terminal and you are ready to come back to the ship in a US port, you will still have to go through security. Even though you may have an "In Transit" card to show so you do not have to check in, sometimes the security people do check your packages and you may have to pay to a corkage fee on those new bottles of wine.

We have had reports of some people being permitted to bring wine without corkage fee the second segment and others who were charged the corkage. You are permitted to bring the wine but should be prepared to pay the corkage as that could happen.

I can't understand why anyone worries about this. If you can afford to cruise with HAL you can afford to buy the wine on board.

I don't think the OP is worried, just seeking information. Nothing wrong with having some knowledge or information in advance.

Based on our experience, which was a B2B Collector's Cruise last year, I would say no. If you have 2 booking numbers and you have to get off the ship and reboard, you can probably go somewhere, buy another two bottles and get back on. I certainly wouldn't count on taking 2 bottles per person up front, unless you wanted to pay corkage, in which case you can take as much as you can carry.

I can't understand why anyone worries about this. If you can afford to cruise with HAL you can afford to buy the wine on board.

No problem paying corkage, will do that on first segment. Being a somewhat wine snob I prefer to imbibe of my favorite wine. :D As to the comedians reply, it never fails ask a serious question and one always seems to come out of the woodwork.:(

We rarely take wine on board with us. It just didn't seem to be worth the hassle of schlepping it. We could always find something we liked, and tried not to think about the mark-up. But on our recent cruise, I had trouble finding something I wanted. They were out of my first choice (not the cheapest red, but not on the "reserve" list, either) and didn't have a second choice anything like the one I wanted. There's a HUGE gulf between the prices on "regular" wines and "reserves" and I had no intention of spending $200 on a bottle of wine. We're not connoisseurs, we just know what we like.

Has the wine list on HAL changed in recent months? I don't remember being unhappy with the selection last winter. Is this list different from one class of ship to another? (Vista vs S) I'm thinking maybe a smaller ship has less storage so a shorter list? It seemed like a very short list, but maybe it's because my cruise before that was on QM2 where the list goes on and on and on for many pages--almost too much to wade through.

Some cruises visit ports with much better wine selections than any cruise ship has. Some people enjoy trying, and drinking, those wines.

We have successfully taken 2 bottles of wine each on the first leg of a B2B. We just show the supervisor our second boarding pass. We try not to make a big deal about it. Politeness works wonders.

I've seen strict enforcement of the policy and I've seen no enforcement at the same port. It's the luck of the draw. Not sure politeness plays a big part in it.

True, but if you happen to have a decent wine collection and a way to carry it, the corkage is pretty reasonable. Yes, we pay a few hundred dollars to drink wine that we could drink at home for free, but this way, we get to have a couple of bottles of really good wine every night. (Three on formal nights, because festive occasions call for Champagne.) As an added bonus, each week of cruising makes room for another case of wine at home.

True, but if you happen to have a decent wine collection and a way to carry it, the corkage is pretty reasonable. Yes, we pay a few hundred dollars to drink wine that we could drink at home for free, but this way, we get to have a couple of bottles of really good wine every night. (Three on formal nights, because festive occasions call for Champagne.) As an added bonus, each week of cruising makes room for another case of wine at home.

I am with you POA1 !!!

I knew you would chime in on this responds.

Since we have learned so much from you we also will bring our special selection

On board.

Denise:)

As people talk about "B to Bs" is that the same as having two different booking numbers? Our upcoming cruise can be made up any combination of shorter segments. We have two booking numbers and the payment was handled separately. Two sets of cruise docs with two boarding passes, etc. We could cancel one cruise (I don't mean getting our money back) and still go on the other. So logically we should start the second cruise with a clean slate as far as what wine we had brought on the first cruise.:) Except that sometimes you can't depend on logic.:mad:

Of course you are right, but cost isn't the only reason people take wine onboard.

I like to take a few of my favourites and they are not on HAL's wine list. The only solution is to buy my own.

Others like to try local wines as part of the cruise experience.

As people talk about "B to Bs" is that the same as having two different booking numbers? Our upcoming cruise can be made up any combination of shorter segments. We have two booking numbers and the payment was handled separately. Two sets of cruise docs with two boarding passes, etc. We could cancel one cruise (I don't mean getting our money back) and still go on the other. So logically we should start the second cruise with a clean slate as far as what wine we had brought on the first cruise.:) Except that sometimes you can't depend on logic.:mad:

yes, a B2B is when you have two booking numbers.