Flying out of IAH (Houston)

septrack

We have taken many Caribbean cruises from Florida , however this will be our first from Houston. Can anyone tell me what is a generally safe time to book flights from IAH. I know in FLL anything after 11am is generally safe, but am not sure if the same applies to IAH.

TIA

IAH is on the other side of Houston from the port of Galveston. Do NOT think that it is in ANY way comparable to Port Everglades and FLL. Follow the cruiseline guidelines and perhaps even add a bit (Houston traffic can be brutal).

HOU, on the other hand, is on the south side of Houston and is much closer to Galveston.

If you are sailing out of the Houston Cruise terminal in La Porte (not port of Galveston, Carnival, RCI, etc dock Galveston about 25 miles as the crow flies from the Houston cruise terminal) where Princess currently docks (and will until next summer), the commute is about 45 minutes to IAH and about 20-35 to Hobby (HOU) in typical / favorable traffic conditions. The real problem though it the potential of fog in Galveston bay which can often cause the ship to be several hours late docking. Fog is most prone to happen Feb - April, but can happen any time air from a cold front meets the warm water of Galveston bay. This fog will usually burn off by mid morning allowing ships that were scheduled to dock at 7 am to make it to the port before noon. There are of course always rare exceptions to this.

p.s. personally I would not book anything much before 4 pm departing IAH

Edited by PenguinLife

We are flying out on Nov 22nd. If fog hits this could be a big issue as flights will probably be near capacity for the Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks for everyones comments. I wonder if Princess helps (pays penalties) to reschedule air if the ship is very late. I doubt it unless it doesn't get in at all on the date scheduled.

Edited by septrack

?...I wonder if Princess helps (pays penalties) to reschedule air if the ship is very late. I doubt it unless it doesn't get in at all on the date scheduled.

Nope, Princess doesn't pay for late arrivals. But your privately purchased cruise insurance will if the delay is long enough. (The Princess 'insurance' is not useful unless you purchase your air with them as well.)

Edited by cherylandtk

Nope, Princess doesn't pay for late arrivals. But your privately purchased cruise insurance will if the delay is long enough. (The Princess 'insurance' is not useful unless you purchase your air with them as well.)

Actually I was surprised to find online: With Princess Vacation Protection/Platinum Vacation Protection, if guests are delayed pre-cruise for a covered reason, they are eligible for up to $500 per person to cover costs associated with catching up to the cruise. If they're delayed post-cruise for a covered reason, they are eligible for up to $1,500 per person to cover associated costs.

Edited by septrack

And if you read further you will find that it only covers air purchased via Princess. So that post cruise delay does not include separately purchased air. It's in the definitions of Cruise Vacation:

Cruise Vacation means a trip for which coverage has been elected and the plan payment paid, and all travel arrangements are arranged by Princess Cruises and/or Princess Tours prior to the Scheduled Departure Date of the trip
Bolding is mine. Edited by cherylandtk

Bayport which as several have indicated is on the Houston ship channel and part of the Port of Houston. Galveston is a different location and further south. It is 45 miles from Bayport to IAH located on the far north side of Houston. It is a very large airport and quite busy as well as large. Expect to walk a bit to your gate after clearing security. In November you are not likely to run into fog problems and coming in on a Sunday morning, the traffic should not be really bad but expect delays. From the time you exit the terminal and get to the airport, I would allow at least 2 hours. You can do it faster if you carry off your luggage and don't mind rushing to the airport and gate.

Just booked air from IAH departing at 3pm. The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that rescheduling air might be impossible due to Thanksgiving traffic should the unthinkable happen. (at least untill Thanksgiving day) Thanks for everyones comments.

And if you read further you will find that it only covers air purchased via Princess. So that post cruise delay does not include separately purchased air. It's in the definitions of Cruise Vacation:

Bolding is mine.

Interesting definition / Covered Cruise Vacation is what is referenced in the brochure on trip delay covereage. Covered Cruise Vacation is defined as a period of travel away from home to a destination outside your city of residence, the purpose of the cruise vacation is business or pleasure and is not to obtain healthcare treatment of any kind.

I'm sure you are right because the definition of CRUISE VACATION you provided is referenced in COVERED CRUISE VACATION. You have to check the definition inside the definition to find the loophole. Typical big business trying to hide the exclusions in the policy. Thanks!

Edited by septrack

need port/ airport hotels for cruise end of January? have Princess transfers. flying in day before cruise. thx!

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Houston NASA in Seabrook. If you call the hotel they have a guy that works for a taxi company that charges $100.00 flat rate to come get you at the airport and take you to the hotel. From Hampton inn hotel it is a 10 minute taxi ride to the cruise port.

You mention that you have a transfer.Not sure what airport you are flying to, but you would have to stay near the airport to use your Princess transfer. Otherwise if you can get a refund for the transfer before the cruise..Hampton Inn is a great place.

Edited by Dan Tanna

Just booked air from IAH departing at 3pm. The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that rescheduling air might be impossible due to Thanksgiving traffic should the unthinkable happen. (at least untill Thanksgiving day) Thanks for everyones comments.

You should easily make your flight. I haven't found freeways in Houston bad on weekends. Can be heavy but they move. Are you scheduling a shuttle to take you back and forth? That will make a difference. A friend did that and it worked great for them. They actually drove into Houston from Dallas, parked at IAH and took a shuttle.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn Houston NASA in Seabrook. If you call the hotel they have a guy that works for a taxi company that charges $100.00 flat rate to come get you at the airport and take you to the hotel. From Hampton inn hotel it is a 10 minute taxi ride to the cruise port.

You mention that you have a transfer.Not sure what airport you are flying to, but you would have to stay near the airport to use your Princess transfer. Otherwise if you can get a refund for the transfer before the cruise..Hampton Inn is a great place.

I may be remembering wrong, but I believe that was the hotel that had a major fire several weeks ago. If so, it was considered a total loss. You may want to check unless someone from Seabrook provides an update.

I may be remembering wrong, but I believe that was the hotel that had a major fire several weeks ago. If so, it was considered a total loss. You may want to check unless someone from Seabrook provides an update.

The hotel burned on April 30. It was a total loss. Here is a posting on tripadvisor about the fire:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56646-d310412-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_Houston_NASA_Johnson_Space_Center-Seabrook_Texas.html

Article from the Houston Chronicle about the fire:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Major-fire-reported-at-Seabrook-Hampton-Inn-6234475.php

Edited by satxdiver

The hotel burned on April 30. It was a total loss. Here is a posting on tripadvisor about the fire:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g56646-d310412-Reviews-Hampton_Inn_Houston_NASA_Johnson_Space_Center-Seabrook_Texas.html

Article from the Houston Chronicle about the fire:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Major-fire-reported-at-Seabrook-Hampton-Inn-6234475.php

Wow..I was not aware of that. Such a great staff there too. Our last day there was April 23 so the fire was one week later. Glad to see no one was hurt. Thank you for the update..

Edited by Dan Tanna