Barcelona terminal - secondary inspection for liquor?

In_Steerage

I'm aware that the cruise terminal in Barcelona has an inspection for carry-on items run by the port authority. Once you pass that inspection, inside the terminal is a liquor store, and in the past, we've bought liquor there and carried it on with no secondary inspection. ;) This was on a Celebrity cruise.

Has anyone embarked lately from Barcelona, sailing on Princess, who can tell me if Princess does their own secondary screening for liquor prior to boarding?

Not sure about Barcelona, but Princess has it's own security checks... they scan luggage everywhere and your carryon as well. Whether they check carefully, I don't know. If you do buy liquor, it's a gamble at best....

In most embarkation ports the security inspections are done by the port and are not repeated by Princess when you board the ship.

I do not know if this is the way it is in Barcelona.

In most embarkation ports the security inspections are done by the port and are not repeated by Princess when you board the ship.

I do not know if this is the way it is in Barcelona.

However, if the pier security is told to not allow hard booze, or not more than two bottles of wine/champagne, that is what they do. On our recent cruise, I was responsible for our two bottles of champagne, as my wife's bionic knee always trips the metal detector. The security personnel saw the champagne, and confirmed there was two of us, and I was allowed to pass. The security personnel were enforcing Princess policy, not local law on bringing alcohol aboard. This is the way we have seen it in many locations, as most local laws don't restrict taking alcohol onboard, it is the cruise line policy.

Cannot comment on procedure when visiting Barcelona as a port of call, but we have embarked from there twice. The duty free shop is AFTER port security check and there was no secondary screening. The last time we were there, in 2013, we were boarding the Royal Princess for the inaugural 30 day Med. and T/A. We took 2 bottles of gin on board in our carry-ons. No problem. That was then; now may be different.

Harry

I visited Barcelona as a port stop a couple of years ago and bought wine in the shop in the terminal just before reboarding. There was no secondary check by Princess at that time.

I'll be sailing out of Barcelona next week and plan to stop in that same shop before boarding. I hope to be able to take an extra bottle on at that time, and do not mind paying the corkage fee if necessary, but am anxious to see how strict they are going to be.

However, if the pier security is told to not allow hard booze, or not more than two bottles of wine/champagne, that is what they do.

In the OP's case, port security is before the opportunity to purchase alcohol.

Thus, nothing to detect when going through port security.

Op's question is whether there will be another security check by Princess after the opportunity to purchase alcohol in that embarkation port.

• 2 weeks later...

...at least for now.

Heard from my wife who embarked on a "girls trip" last week from Barcelona, sailing Princess. No secondary checks by Princess after the port authority checks you coming into the terminal. The liquor shop was open, so they bought all the booze they wanted and brought it on board.

Hope I didn't ruin a good thing by posting here. :p

That's a good tip by R&V, previously posted on this thread. I wasn't aware that you were allowed off the ship on embarkation day, once you boarded. I was on a back-to-back cruise (with Royal Caribbean), and those continuing cruisers who wanted to tour the city that day were specifically separated from those who just wanted to reboard and continue their cruise. It seemed like once you re-boarded for your next leg, they didn't want you cycling off and on the ship.

If this is not the case, what would stop one from making multiple trips on to the ship on embarkation day, bringing a bottle of wine with them each time? :confused: I've never had my name checked off on any list as having brought my allotted bottle of wine on board.