Not happy in San Pedro

xyankee

This morning we boarded the Ruby Princess in San Pedro and was not very happy with the boarding process. After checking in we were directed to the waiting area. I ask a Princess representative where the Elite/Platium waiting area was. Her response was "I don't know, you should have asked at checkin". I was very surprised with her response. This is the first rude Princess representative I have ever encountered and this is our 12th Princess curise. After going through security, I saw a sign that had "Elite/Platium Lounge" on it. I started to go to that lounge but was stopped by another Princess representative and told I could not go there. I showed her my cruise card indicating I was a Platium member. She told me that the lounge was for Elite passengers only. I directed her to the sign and she again told me it was for Elite only. I told her I was staying in a full suite and asked it full suite passengers didn't get the same benifits as Elite. She said no and proceeded to change the sign for the lounge. Several months ago I sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale, again in a full suite. We were directed to the Elite/Platium Lounge. I guess either Princess changed their policy or San Perdo follows different rules. Shel said that almost the whole ship was Elite passengers. Well, we followed the Princess rules and will become Elite after this current cruise. Princess encourages people to get to the Elite lever. They should make what ever changes are necessary to accomadate the increase in Elite passengers. We are now on the ship. It is very nice. We had a nice relaxing lunch in one of the main dining rooms and am looking forward to a great cruise.

San Pedro has a lounge for Elite passengers separate from Platinum. You should have been allowed into the Elite lounge area due to having booked a full suite. Since your card was Platinum, the rep was following his/her directions.

Did you show that you were in a full suite? Since reps work for Princess one day, HAL the next, NCL the next, they don't know cabin numbers. They don't actually work for Princess. You'd be surprised at how many people try to get into an area they shouldn't. :(

It's not unusual to have a huge number of Elite passengers on a cruise. I've taken cruises with well over a thousand. That's just Elite, all waving their black cards expecting special treatment. Impossible to do. Patience is required.

Have a great cruise. My sister disembarked this morning.

Unless things have changed recently, there is a section for elite/suites and one for Platinum in San Pedro.

The last time I boarded, Elite were showed to an area outside the room they kept the beverages/snacks. Full Suite passengers were also in this same area.

Platinum had their own area to the right of the boarding line. I believe they also have a section for transit and BVE passengers in that same locality but separated.

I am sorry you were misdirected. I do hope you were able to pre-board. It seems as though you were on board early enough to enjoy lunch in the MDR.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

We were directed to the Platium waiting area. I was told I could go into the Elite lounge to get refreshments but would have to take them to the Platium waiting area. It wasn't that big a deal and probably would not have bothered me if I had not first encounter the rude employee. It will not stop me from enjoying the cruise. It would take a lot more for that to happen.

My husband and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary next year by taking a cruise to Hawaii leaving from San Pedro. We've booked a suite and are very excited about some of the perks that come with the suite since this is the first and most likely will be the last time we will be able to book a suite.

What should we do when we get to San Pedro to show the correct paperwork to the correct people so that we can have priority boarding?

My husband and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary next year by taking a cruise to Hawaii leaving from San Pedro. We've booked a suite and are very excited about some of the perks that come with the suite since this is the first and most likely will be the last time we will be able to book a suite.

What should we do when we get to San Pedro to show the correct paperwork to the correct people so that we can have priority boarding?

Suite guests have a special line to checkin.

And when you receive your cruise card it will have "SUITE" on it regardless of your loyalty level color (blue, gold, ruby, platinum or black)

Edited by capriccio

We were directed to the Platium waiting area. I was told I could go into the Elite lounge to get refreshments but would have to take them to the Platium waiting area. It wasn't that big a deal and probably would not have bothered me if I had not first encounter the rude employee. It will not stop me from enjoying the cruise. It would take a lot more for that to happen.

Just curious was the Elite lounge full when you went in? Did you eventually get your priority boarding? Hope so. I've never been much for the special lounges. Not much there. But it is nice to go on a bit early. Watching the ship on the San Pedro Webcam. What a beautiful day today. We will be boarding Nov. 8th. Have a wonderful trip and relax.

No the Elite Lounge had maybe 4 people in it. We never were allow in. We boarded after the transit and Elite passangers. Yes, it is a very beautiful day today. Nice breeze and a cloudless sky. We should pull out any time now.

Did you show that you were in a full suite? Since reps work for Princess one day, HAL the next, NCL the next, they don't know cabin numbers. They don't actually work for Princess. You'd be surprised at how many people try to get into an area they shouldn't. :(

You got an ill-informed one, OP. They have been shuffling people around for some time in San Pedro. Once, while Platinum, they sent me to the line to stand and sent others after me to a seating area. Why? Who knows? But I was first in line at the boarding gate when the started letting the Plats through. It was weird.

As Pam noted, the staff there are working for the port. We ran into an officious one some years ago (we found a place to sit but she came over to make us remove my soda bottle and my daughter's juice box -- so she could use the table for her water bottle and there were a couple of other issues with that same woman...we knew she wasn't representing Princess so we just sloughed it off).

You would think if you checked in at the line marked for "suites," you would have been given a priority number (on our last cruise, even though we were gold and not in a suite, somehow we were given a priority number as Princess had flagged us for some elite privileges due to a favor I was doing for someone).

You got an ill-informed one, OP. They have been shuffling people around for some time in San Pedro. Once, while Platinum, they sent me to the line to stand and sent others after me to a seating area. Why? Who knows? But I was first in line at the boarding gate when the started letting the Plats through. It was weird.

On our last Princess out of San Pedro we were put into the boarding line while others were directed to go sit. This was only our second Princess cruise and no suite so it wasn't a status thing. The shore side employees do not belong to any particular cruise line and we have had trouble with them from time to time all over the world, not just in SP. We are boarding in SP tomorrow (Royal/Jewel OTS) and our status will not print on our boarding pass (SS Pass) so I'm once again expecting trouble. I guess just part of the joys of cruising.

I did tell them I was in a full suite and also showed them my cruise card that indicated I was booked in a suite. She again said that the lounge was for Elite only.

Sorry you experienced this. It sounds like a training issue. I was yelled at (!) by one of the Form Ladies of San Pedro last week. I took a health questionnaire to fill out from a pile on the counter, but was apparently supposed to ask first :rolleyes:.

I hope you didn't let it ruin your cruise. I certainly didn't let it ruin mine :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Sorry you experienced this. It sounds like a training issue. I was yelled at (!) by one of the Form Ladies of San Pedro last week. I took a health questionnaire to fill out from a pile on the counter, but was apparently supposed to ask first :rolleyes:.

I hope you didn't let it ruin your cruise. I certainly didn't let it ruin mine :).

Ha! :D The Form Ladies in San Pedro are the worst! They scare me to death.

I did tell them I was in a full suite and also showed them my cruise card that indicated I was booked in a suite. She again said that the lounge was for Elite only.

Twice at Port Everglades they have attempted to stop me going into the Elite / Suit lounge and both times it was the same person who tried to stop me.

On both occasions the matter was resolved when I pointed out I was in a suite but on both occasions the lady defended her actions by saying she could not be expected to know what the numbers of the suites are.

The first time I quietly explained that I was in a suite. The second time, recognising that it was the same person, and given it is reasonable to assume she would know that cruise cards for suites now have the word Suite, I rather pointedly asked her why she had not taken the trouble to look for the word suite on our cruise cards before launching into 'policeman' mode.

This year we will be going through San Pedro, on what will be the last time we are Platinum, so it will be interesting to see if we meet the same person as the OP encountered!!

Edited by Corfe Mixture

This morning we boarded the Ruby Princess in San Pedro and was not very happy with the boarding process. After checking in we were directed to the waiting area. I ask a Princess representative where the Elite/Platium waiting area was. Her response was "I don't know, you should have asked at checkin". I was very surprised with her response. This is the first rude Princess representative I have ever encountered and this is our 12th Princess curise. After going through security, I saw a sign that had "Elite/Platium Lounge" on it. I started to go to that lounge but was stopped by another Princess representative and told I could not go there. I showed her my cruise card indicating I was a Platium member. She told me that the lounge was for Elite passengers only. I directed her to the sign and she again told me it was for Elite only. I told her I was staying in a full suite and asked it full suite passengers didn't get the same benifits as Elite. She said no and proceeded to change the sign for the lounge. Several months ago I sailed out of Ft. Lauderdale, again in a full suite. We were directed to the Elite/Platium Lounge. I guess either Princess changed their policy or San Perdo follows different rules. Shel said that almost the whole ship was Elite passengers. Well, we followed the Princess rules and will become Elite after this current cruise. Princess encourages people to get to the Elite lever. They should make what ever changes are necessary to accomadate the increase in Elite passengers. We are now on the ship. It is very nice. We had a nice relaxing lunch in one of the main dining rooms and am looking forward to a great cruise.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. From which berth were you sailing? I have noticed a significantly different experience depending on the berth in San Pedro. One time we sailed from there recently, we were assigned the berth near the Iowa, and the embarkation was a near disaster. The Elite lounge was extremely crowded with non-Elites (even non-Platinums), and they stampeded in front of us to board. Security was so overwhelmed they just gave up. I wonder if their reaction to your request to enter that lounge was part of their effort to keep what happened on our sailing from repeating? Of course, it does sound as if you should have been admitted, and they need to review their procedures.

Our last Princess cruise out of San Pedro--on the Crown in January--everyone was kept OUTSIDE the terminal until 5:00 pm...Then they allowed the Elite/Platinum into the building, followed by everyone else...They had NO lounge, no snacks and refreshments...They had a seating area for elite/platinum followed by other seating sections in order of arrival...all just hard chairs...They slowly started letting people onboard around 5:30 starting with suites/elites. We were lucky...We got to the dining room immediately--about 5:45--and actually got to eat dinner. Most of the passengers got no dinner as they closed the dining rooms at 7:00--for the 7:45 muster drill...and most of the passengers weren't even on the ship yet...First night entertainment and activities were all canceled.

Of course, this was the Norovirus Cleaning Cruise from Hell. Thankfully, it shouldn't happen often...

But, I guess the lesson is...be thankful any time you just get on the ship on a timely basis with not an overly large amount of hassle...

Things like not getting to sit in an Elite Lounge or having to deal with ill-informed terminal personnel are minor issues...

I don't really relax until I am finally ON THE SHIP...

All the stuff leading up to it--Airport hassles, uncomfortable flights, ground transport hassles, logistics, etc. AND check-in are all just necessary evils leading up to the important part...

You are on the ship now, enjoy...

After reading your experience, I checked the Elite and Platinum member benefits and the Suite amenities. There is mention of preferred check-in for Platinum and Elite passengers and of priority embarkation for Suite passengers but no mention of an embarkation lounge. That is probably because few ports have a dedicated lounge.

The last time we sailed out of Fort Lauderdale there was a dedicated lounge for Elite and Suite passengers. In Barcelona last year there was a dedicated lounge but I don't know if they were allowing Suite or Platinum passengers. This year in San Pedro they were not allowing Platinum passengers into the lounge and I don't know about Suite passengers. Other than those three ports we have not seen an embarkation lounge in Seattle, Vancouver, Whittier, Buenos Aries, Valpariaso or Copenhagen. We haven't used Pier 27 in San Francisco but I don't believe there is a lounge there either.

We were Platinum when we boarded in Seattle in a Suite. Although I mentioned we were in a Suite, we were given a Platinum boarding card and told to go to the Platinum waiting area and wait to be called. The Elite waiting was right next to us. They were called first and after the 50-60 passengers were lined up and ready to board they called the Platinum passengers. We were Elite the other three times we sailed in a Suite.

People have stated that the embarkation lounge is being restricted to Elites because there are too many Elite passengers. I believe the real issue is that there are too many Platinum passengers for the capacity of the lounges. There may often be few passengers in the lounge but if you look at the number of people in the Platinum waiting area, if they were let in the lounge would be filled to overflowing.

With no specified benefit for an embarkation lounge, each port is allowed to follow whatever practice they believe is appropriate. That being said, I would think that for what Suite passengers are paying, they should be allowed in the Elite embarkation lounge.