Missed ports

dgs1956

Can anyone tell me what is the situation when you miss a port? I hate to suggest compensation but we have missed a number of ports on recent cruises and all that happens is that a few other activities are added on to what becomes a "sea day". I appreciate that the safety of the ship and passengers is paramount in adverse weather conditions.

We recently missed the Orkney Isles due to another ship being berthed and the weather too rough for us to go ashore by tender. They arranged for us to go to Belfast, instead of a slow two day cruise back to Southampton.

Quickly arranged, well organised with trips and information provided by on-board staff and the people of Belfast.

On other occasions a port missed was just that. It happens and you enjoy another day on-board.

Edited by Scorpio41

You just take it on the chin. It must be in the small print somewhere.

Everyone was looking forward to Monaco. It was announced as a 'no' due to bad weather when we were having dinner. We all groaned and were a bit upset, but a minute later we all just got on with it. Better the cancellation than a calamity.

A good insurance company cruise policy will provide cover for missed ports. In May this year we missed two ports because the ship (Azura) broke down on the previous cruise and we were two days late leaving Southampton. As a result we missed both Cadiz and Naples. Our insurance company paid out a total of £600 - £150 each for each missed port. They also cover missed ports due to bad weather etc.

I'm afraid it just doesn't always pay to go with the cheapest insurance...but I wouldn't class ours as expensive and we are both over 60 and both have medical conditions - it was just over £100 for Annual cover for the two of us.

A good insurance company cruise policy will provide cover for missed ports. In May this year we missed two ports because the ship (Azura) broke down on the previous cruise and we were two days late leaving Southampton. As a result we missed both Cadiz and Naples. Our insurance company paid out a total of £600 - £150 each for each missed port. They also cover missed ports due to bad weather etc.

I'm afraid it just doesn't always pay to go with the cheapest insurance...but I wouldn't class ours as expensive and we are both over 60 and both have medical conditions - it was just over £100 for Annual cover for the two of us.

Seems very reasonable, Who is it with ?

Edited by bee-ess

What a pointless post along with Britboys.

I don't agree with you totally.

I also feel that if you go on a cruising holiday one should have different expectation's than on a land based holiday..

It's like when people book a cruise solely for one destination, let's say Guernsey, and it has been posted in the past on here that someone did that...and on the day tide and swell meant the ship couldn't go there. Came on here to vent. Replies on here were mostly if you must go to one place ,go as a land holiday.

Yes it is disappointing, but such is life..it has happened to us a few times. We accept it.

Mind you very interesting to read about lv, as that is who we are with. Have to give them a ring and see if ours includes missed port cover.

I don't agree with you totally.

I also feel that if you go on a cruising holiday one should have different expectation's than on a land based holiday..

It's like when people book a cruise solely for one destination, let's say Guernsey, and it has been posted in the past on here that someone did that...and on the day tide and swell meant the ship couldn't go there. Came on here to vent. Replies on here were mostly if you must go to one place ,go as a land holiday.

Yes it is disappointing, but such is life..it has happened to us a few times. We accept it.

Mind you very interesting to read about lv, as that is who we are with. Have to give them a ring and see if ours includes missed port cover.

My original post said I appreciated that sometimes you cannot dock due to adverse weather conditions and the safety of the ship was paramount. I don't need anyone to tell me what I already said I knew. Interesting you say that you accept it is part of cruising and then say you will check your insurance to see if you are covered.

My original post said I appreciated that sometimes you cannot dock due to adverse weather conditions and the safety of the ship was paramount. I don't need anyone to tell me what I already said I knew. Interesting you say that you accept it is part of cruising and then say you will check your insurance to see if you are covered.

I do accept it as part of cruising. I would never ever have thought of asking my travel insurers if they covered for missed ports so it was not on my radar. I just said I would have to ask if our policy covered that. Does mean I would actually remember to claim if we missed any on our next cruise.

I do accept it as part of cruising. I would never ever have thought of asking my travel insurers if they covered for missed ports so it was not on my radar. I just said I would have to ask if our policy covered that. Does mean I would actually remember to claim if we missed any on our next cruise.

Hi English Lady - LV have two policy levels - Essential and premierer - Not sure whether you have to specify it when taking out the policy or not, - you probably do - but as we have taken cruise holidays for many years we have always specified that we are going on a cruise to make sure we are covered for all eventualities. Both policy levels include missed port cover .

Hi English Lady - LV have two policy levels - Essential and premierer - Not sure whether you have to specify it when taking out the policy or not, - you probably do - but as we have taken cruise holidays for many years we have always specified that we are going on a cruise to make sure we are covered for all eventualities. Both policy levels include missed port cover .

Thanks MM I know we are with them, but that is as far as my knowledge goes..will ask oh when I next see him,as he is the one who arranged it.

As I understand it if you miss a port because of the weather, tides etc. then there is no compensation. However, if there is a problem with the ship then it's different. We were on Arcadia back in 2008 - flew out to the ship in New Orleans. There was a problem with on of the Azipods and instead of leaving New Orleans during the evening we arrived we didn't leave until the afternoon of the following day after repairs had been made. We then had to miss the next port which was Key West as there would not have been time to stop there. As soon as we eventually left New Orleans we had a letter from the Executive Purser saying that every passenger would receive an extra £100 On Board Credit. When on a different cruise we had to miss Jamaica because of strong wind there was no compensation.

So if it's a fault with the ship then P&O will compensate passengers but not if it's a weather problem - seems fair to me.

Perhaps they do have to pay them. I have no knowledge at all but someone has to lose money when they don't dock. Perhaps there is small print that they have to pay all or something even if they can't get in.

So far as insurance is concerned. If you make a claim isn't it possible that your premium could go up next time? I am always asked if I have made a claim within so many years. Also after paying any excess is it always even worth claiming?

I think many of the Companies are now linked and can access each other's records.

Edited by indiana123

AnnieUK - quote not working!

On the Azura cruise mentioned earlier, we got a refund from P & O of the fare representing the 2 days missed - we had paid for a 14 night cruise and got a 12 night cruise. And we have been offered 10% of the fare paid off a future cruise. But no actual compensation as such, nor any OBC. So the insurance company payout was welcome - particularly as we deliberately chose that cruise for the Naples stop (for Capri)...it went someway towards the disappointment factor.

My premium could well go up next time having made a claim I am sure but we wont actually know....and it certainly wont go up by that much!