Sea Sickness

rick1959

I get sea sickness badly and I use the patches. You have to get a prescription from your doctor. The only time I really had trouble was in my room - bad placement of all the way forward due to last minute booking. When I was out and about I didn't have any trouble. One warning about the patch, don't rip it off as soon as you hit land. Let it stay on a day or two. It will give you a monster headache if you take off too soon.

I have had people tell me that eating green apples helps and they usually have them on the buffet.

Different things work for different people

Preventative --

Dramamine ( or its generic)

Bonine (or its generic)

Scolpamine (sp) patch

Motion Eze homeopathic

Benadryl (or its generic)

Pressure wrist bands

For nausea --

Ginger - capsules, candied, gum, soda

Clear soda

Green Apples

Soda crackers

(There are other anti nausea foods)

Shot from the doctor

Edited by SadieN

What works for one person might not work for you. Here's a suggestion: if you are on regular medications, check first with your doctor. He or she may have suggestions for a remedy that won't affect your prescription.

If you're not taking something that can be affected, then go to your drugstore and get one or two OTC (Dramamine, etc.) -- hopefully a sample or travel size -- and try out while on land and some days before your cruise. Take note if you get side effects such as drowsiness. Go to your grocery store and get some candied ginger and try that out. Maybe some ginger capsules.

You can ask your doctor for the patch (prescription only). You can also get the wristband (I'm not sure where you get those...a few cruises ago, a veteran cruiser at our table wore one all the time during the cruise).

When you narrow down to a couple of remedies, make sure to put these in your carry on.

While on board, you can also get a ginger ale or try a green apple.

Note that the ship's store will sell many of these (not the patch, obviously), but at a major mark up.

And it could be that you'll have a smooth cruise (I was far forward on our Alaskan cruise and wasn't bothered at all) or won't be susceptible to motion.

We were worried about sea sickness but lucked out and didn't have any issues even with the rough seas on our first cruise. That being said, we went prepared. In Canada we don't need a prescription for the patch so I bought 2 packs from the pharmacy. We also brought Gravol and Ginger pills which are my personal favourite for an upset stomach. We didn't need any of these items but I'm glad we had them. I am always quite prepared as I like to know I have medications I prefer in case they are needed.

I ended up gifting the patches to a friend that loves cruising but does get sea sick. We do still bring the Gravol and Ginger pills just in case. Those have come in handy on many of our various trips.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I am a great one to offer advice on the topic of seasickness as I usually am not affected by it. There is one motion that will get me and a ship of the size of even the smallest cruise ship cannot manage to achieve it. It is strictly a small boat movement. It has gotten me twice in my 73 years.

I would say get the patches if you are really worried about mal de mer. My next suggestion would be the generic version of Bonine. Beyond that, a positive attitude can achieve wonders with this issue. I have survived having the Carnival Splendor tossed about in the Northern Mediterranean during an 85 knot gale without getting sick.

Good luck,

Doc

Like most medications there is no best. What is best for me might not be best for you.

You have many choices and I would consult your physician before deciding which one.

Over the counter medicines for nausea such as Bonine and Dramamine. We go with Bonine. Key is to take the medication before feeling nausea. Side effect can be feeling tired.

A prescritpion for the Patch. You pretty much wear it the entire time. Side effects can be dryness in mouth and sleeplessness.

Ginger Tablets or Ginger.

An Apple.

A sea calm band. Even Manufacturer says it has about a 50% success rate.

Again, no best item because we all come in different shapes, sizes and have different makeups.

Do some reading, consult your doctor and then make a decision.

Keith

Here is hoping you do not get seasick. Having said that - I always carry the sea calm (acupuncture) bands, and have worn them on occasion when we hit rough seas. They do work! (Had a friend tell me her pregnant daughter used them for morning sickness).

I also carry candied ginger (it tastes great after a meal) and ginger pills.

A caution with Dramemine- on our first cruise, we sent my husband back to the cabin for our caera. We were dancing in a congo line! He took one Dramemine, sat down on the bed- and was out for hours! No pictures and no fun husband that night!

Some people experience very severe side effects from scopolamine (the patch). Extreme visual problems up to temporary blindness, hallucinations, confusion, memory loss and cardiac arrythmia.

It isn't as benign as some would have you think. Sure it seems easy, put a patch on and you are done, but DW says the side effects she experienced were worse than being seasick. Meclizine has worked every time since that poor experience.

Some people experience very severe side effects from scopolamine (the patch). Extreme visual problems up to temporary blindness, hallucinations, confusion, memory loss and cardiac arrythmia.

It isn't as benign as some would have you think. Sure it seems easy, put a patch on and you are done, but DW says the side effects she experienced were worse than being seasick. Meclizine has worked every time since that poor experience.

The scopolamine patches make me hallucinate. Not everybody gets that side effect, but enough do that my doctor cautioned me to try the patch on a weekend when I was safely at home before using it while on a trip. I'm very glad I heeded that advice!

I do get sea sick. The Sea Bands (accupressure bands, there are a few brands of the same thing) work really well for me. I get them at the pharmacy in the same section as the other sea sickness meds. I also carry non-drowsy dramamine, just in case the Sea Bands don't work. I've never needed the dramamine, but I'd rather have it and not need it than be sick and looking for it.