Preference options for table mates, would this be a good idea?

Verfai

Okay why is there a Kosher option on the dietary needs and not a Halal or other I can not think of??? Sounds to me like discrimination...

DD goes to school in Europe and knows many Muslims who'll eat kosher when halal isn't available. Prepared Kosher is more mainstream than halal at the present time.

Those who've never done seating charts think it's easy to do. Can't imagine doing it for 3,000 at a time.

DD goes to school in Europe and knows many Muslims who'll eat kosher when halal isn't available. Prepared Kosher is more mainstream than halal at the present time.

Those who've never done seating charts think it's easy to do. Can't imagine doing it for 3,000 at a time.

And when you do a seating chart for a wedding, or military, you know, or have feedback from people who know the guests, or most of them.

Another question, what do they do with those they can't match?

I think we were one of the "unmatched" on a Carnival cruise.:D We were on a balcony table for eight. We lived in Spain at the time so were sat with other Europeans none of who spoke much English except to say good, bad, how are you etc. On this basis I would say they did it on our addresses.

I would say Europeans are very much a minority on most cruises out of Florida. Once on RCL the Captain gave a breakdown by nationality and although there were people from over twenty countries most were under 10 people. I think that time there was only about 100 British out of around 3000 passengers.

I think we were one of the "unmatched" on a Carnival cruise.:D We were on a balcony table for eight. We lived in Spain at the time so were sat with other Europeans none of who spoke much English except to say good, bad, how are you etc. On this basis I would say they did it on our addresses.

I would say Europeans are very much a minority on most cruises out of Florida. Once on RCL the Captain gave a breakdown by nationality and although there were people from over twenty countries most were under 10 people. I think that time there was only about 100 British out of around 3000 passengers.

I think if they get language speakers together thats about all you can rally ask.

You might try cruising out of Galveston. The majority of the passengers are Texans, a very friendly bunch. You will also find southern good manners and polite conversation! Have also cruised from both coasts and Galveston cruises have had the most congenial table mates.

I'll keep this in mind for future sailing.

Verfai, I suggest you try a table for two. I do not think RCL with the thousands of diners on your ship to seat can spend the time to investigate table mates to meet your specs.I suggest a table for two on Celebrity, or even a six top.

We always request late traditional and hope for a large table. One thing with a large table is that odds are if you don't care for a couple at your table, there's plenty more to talk to. Only once did we get stuck with anytime (flexible dining) because we booked late and didn't clear the waitlist. And with that time, we always requested a shared table.

We have never been asked for our religion. That would be considered irrelevant to any cruise line.

We have been seated with people from other countries, but English speakers, so it could be that the maitre'd on each cruise will work to put people from a region together. Of course, on our Alaskan cruise, one couple was from England and one couple was from Australia (I could not understand much of what the man said so I would turn to the English man who would "translate" for me). We have also been seated with Canadians.

As for Kosher food (I didn't read all of the responses so just jumping in with this), these meals need to be prepared ahead of time in a Kosher kitchen. So unless there's a separate part of a kitchen in a ship's gallery, this food needs to be prepared, frozen, and brought on board a ship.

Anyone (you don't have to say you're Jewish) can request Kosher meals, but the request needs to be done a certain amount of time before the cruise. So it's not discrimination for a ship to offer the meals at all. In a sense, it's like sending in a request for gluten free meals because the ingredients need to be brought onto the ship.

I really don't know if this is the case for Halal meals and what's involved.

Anyhow.......Last reaction to this

No my logic was easy

-Language (a ticker that says I speak following languages)

-Age (a bunch of ranges)

-Repeat cruisers (C&A stats)

-drinkers/non drinkers

-Religion (I think they already do this)

Has nothing to do where you are from or who you are, just what language you want to speak, your not going to offend somebody by drinking or eating an animal of some sort in font of them and you do or do not want to share past cruise experiences

couldn't care less what other languages you speak. I can barely speak American Standard English properly. if you ONLY speak X language that is NOT ASE( or the prevailing language on an itinerary) then yes, I suppose that would help seat you with people you could converse with

the only age I am concerned about is under 18. I do NOT want to sit with kids, I don't care how well behaved Mommie and daddie swear they are. so yes I would tick off an 'adult only ' dining companion box

Couldn't care less if this was your first cruise or 100th cruise. I'd love to share prior experiences with newbies if they are interested and i would love to interrogate..errr. show polite interest.. to someone who has far more experience.

As long as you don't loudly proclaim I am going to hell because I drink wine, I couldn't care less that your glass only has iced tea.

have NEVER been asked or offered to list our religious preferences. and I'd be offended as hell if they did. that is NO ONE'S BUSINESS WHATSOEVER and I would not share that information if asked by a too nosy dining companion.

If someone is SOOO obsessed with their dining companions not drinking, or being X religion, or only being 25-45, then they should dine alone or with people they selected themselves.

LOL! Ive met a few Texans...Differs a bit from we are used to and indeed country music was one of them :D If there is something I dont get its American country music :p, the lyrics really dont make any sence to a liberal European ;) no offence ;)

we moved to Texas last year( Mr Spook's last duty station before retiring this December)

I don't get country western music either

couldn't care less what other languages you speak. I can barely speak American Standard English properly. if you ONLY speak X language that is NOT ASE( or the prevailing language on an itinerary) then yes, I suppose that would help seat you with people you could converse with

the only age I am concerned about is under 18. I do NOT want to sit with kids, I don't care how well behaved Mommie and daddie swear they are. so yes I would tick off an 'adult only ' dining companion box

Couldn't care less if this was your first cruise or 100th cruise. I'd love to share prior experiences with newbies if they are interested and i would love to interrogate..errr. show polite interest.. to someone who has far more experience.

As long as you don't loudly proclaim I am going to hell because I drink wine, I couldn't care less that your glass only has iced tea.

have NEVER been asked or offered to list our religious preferences. and I'd be offended as hell if they did. that is NO ONE'S BUSINESS WHATSOEVER and I would not share that information if asked by a too nosy dining companion.

If someone is SOOO obsessed with their dining companions not drinking, or being X religion, or only being 25-45, then they should dine alone or with people they selected themselves.

IMO the reason my DH and I prefer to dine alone, unless we bring friends, is because you just might sit with a person who has issues with issues per what the a previous poster said. In addition to those issues, we have had negative experience with conversation hogs, who think what they have to say is the most important thing that everyone wants to hear, people who complain about everything, and those couples who are fighting with each other.

Better to sit by ourselves and enjoy each others conversation!

Edited by Cruise a holic