Tropical Storm Joaquin's effect on Breakaway cruise 10/4

Mikkar

Oh ok... That's a little annoying lol. Guess I'll pack chilly clothes. Here you are thinking your going to sunny Bermuda and who knows where we will end up... It even if we'll leave Sunday for that matter? I'm sure there's a chance breakaway will be delayed back into Ny. What do u guys think???

Like people said. Wait and see. Right now anything said is pure speculation.

While it may be a bit inconvenient to you, think about the people who are in harms way on the islands and the coastlines.

NCL will do their best to ensure your safety and give you a fine cruise experience considering the circumstances.

Oh ok... That's a little annoying lol. Guess I'll pack chilly clothes. Here you are thinking your going to sunny Bermuda and who knows where we will end up... It even if we'll leave Sunday for that matter? I'm sure there's a chance breakaway will be delayed back into Ny. What do u guys think???

The storm is not due to hit the NY area until Monday and I just read even as late as Tuesday and by that time the BA will be at see and far off the coast where the hurricane is suppose to hit. Bermuda seems to be a good bet with the way things look right now. My daughter is on the BA in Bermuda right now, she said her ride there was a bit rocky but that was a storm Bermuda was dealing with in the beginning of the week. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. My money is on Bermuda being a good bet right now. For what its worth!

We're booked on the Breakaway to Bermuda leaving this Sunday and this storm has me a little concerned. I'm hoping that the seas won't be too rough on the way to Bermuda and I hope the stabilizers keep the ship from rocking too much. Has anyone here sailed through a tropical storm? Do you think they will try to sail around it as much as possible?

We leave Saturday on the Liberty to go to Bermuda. We sailed through Fay last year which was as hit on Bermuda. We had very rough seas and they did as much as the could to keep us away from the storm. But with a place like Bermuda there isn't anywhere else to really go. We are planning on having rough seas Saturday and Sunday. This is something to keep in mind when sailing during hurricane season. The cruise lines will keep everyone as safe as possible. But unless the cruise is completely rerouted North, we are all going to feel some rough seas.

Ok, Great I am on the gem on Saturday going to Canada, where do you think they will send me? lol

I don't think you will be taken anywhere but Canada. I know, if it were me, I would be nervous as well, but most of the time these storm cause fewer problem than predicted.

During Sandy the Gem was denied entry to NY and went to Boston one night, got off in NYC 4 days late. The following 9 day cruise was canceled and a 5 day Bermuda cruise was inserted, with passengers on board allowed an inside cabin for taxes and port fees only. About half had gotten off in Boston, few wanted to spend 5 more days on a 9 day cruise which had already been 13 days. The elevators were not used for 36 hours, so getting to the buffet from the 4th deck was not fun. But NCL fed us and entertained us those 4 extra days plus there was no service charge those last 4 days. The waves had been so high that the anchor was constantly banged against the hull, causing a loud boom through the ship. Would love to do it all again.

My wife and I were also on that cruise and it was an unbelievable experience!

If anyone wants to get an idea of what cruising in a hurricane is like, please click this link to my review of our Norwegian Gem hurricane Sandy adventure. (pics and videos included)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1784338

If anyone wants to get an idea of what cruising in a hurricane is like, please click this link to my review of our Norwegian Gem hurricane Sandy adventure. (pics and videos included)

I was on the Caribbean Princess docked in Boston during Sandy (my first cruise..heh) so reading your review, despite it being a different ship and itinerary, I'm getting flashbacks. But all in all, I had a great time, wasn't deterred from cruising again as you can see in my signature! (but would have preferred being on the Gem that week because I fell in love with her last spring!)

We're booked on the Breakaway to Bermuda leaving this Sunday and this storm has me a little concerned. I'm hoping that the seas won't be too rough on the way to Bermuda and I hope the stabilizers keep the ship from rocking too much. Has anyone here sailed through a tropical storm? Do you think they will try to sail around it as much as possible?[/quote

Im pretty sure you will not be sailing through the storm as the storm is on the coast and you will be heading away from the coast to Bermuda. NY is not expecting the storm itself until Monday and you'll be well on your way by then. I have been on my share of cruises where the seas were really bad and yes the stabilizers do really well. The BA handles the waves very well so you should be fine. As far as safety, the captain will keep you safe, don't you worry about that. If you tend to get seasick bring along some Bonine and remember if you feel sick go outside and look to the horizon ! Have a great trip !

Loved your review when I read it right after Sandy and I think Im going to read it again now! Great attitude. We were in a hurricane in 2005 when we were sailing up the coast from Bahamas to NY. We were well behind Hurricane Ivan, the seas were choppy but nothing bad and the hurricane had already hit land in North Carolina. Well, it decided to loop back out to sea and it got us. We had Gale force winds with 35 to 40 foot waves for almost a full day. I view it as an experience, one I wouldn't have chosen but it was a wild and fun ride. I never once felt unsafe and for me the worst part was trying not to fall.

Has any cruise lines ever given you a refund to not go if you don't like where they are going instead of what was planned? I will really be sad to go to Canada.. been there , done that many times. And I would neverrr go now when it is cold .. If they went South that would be ok.. but North.. would be awful.

Has any cruise lines ever given you a refund to not go if you don't like where they are going instead of what was planned? I will really be sad to go to Canada.. been there , done that many times. And I would neverrr go now when it is cold .. If they went South that would be ok.. but North.. would be awful.

Nope.

With visions of Sandy and the tree that fell on my house dancing in my head, I have been watching the storm predictions. on weather.com they are showing about 10 different paths of the storm. Some are showing the brunt of the storm on NY on Sunday.

I agree 100 percent. They don't refund if it changes. I have no desire to go up north. If anything bring us to Caribbean. I have no clue what's going to happen but not going to lie. It's ruining my excitement ;(

I agree 100 percent. They don't refund if it changes. I have no desire to go up north. If anything bring us to Caribbean. I have no clue what's going to happen but not going to lie. It's ruining my excitement ;(

It's all part of booking such a cruise this time of year. I always thought the uncertainty adds to the excitement. Think of being the only cruise the BA ever took to Canada, how unique.:D

Can I ask where you saw it might hit Bermuda? My daughter is there now.

Unlikely to be more than rain and strong winds (nothing particularly dangerous) in Bermuda. But, like everyone has said, it's still early to predict reliably.

204603.gif

Bermuda has been sunny the past two days. At this point I want to cancel lol I've been in 32 cruises and this is a first. Hope it's my last scare lol I've lost all excitement in this cruise. It's iur friends first cruise and I'm trying to be positive ;(

Edited by Lau628

Not often...usually never...but...

If the 7 day is delayed in returning thus cutting into the next cruise....it is possible....that they will give you that option....but nothing is cut in stone....so I guess you could say that is almost the same as saying you don't want to go because you don't like the Itin.

Happened to us in 2004 on dcl We were 4 days delayed in returning and the next cruise was cut to a 3 day....making it impossible to go where they had originally planned... Dcl gave those people the option to cancel

I know this is Ncl forum but you did ask about...any cruise line....so the answer is yes....but IMHO a long shot at best...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

The issue is not with Bermuda if your cruise is leaving from New York, it's getting out of New York. I live on the north shore of Long Island, about 20 miles from the port. We just got a phone call from our town letting us know what they have been doing to prepare for the storm, saying it should hit us on Sunday into early Monday. That being said, it has happened before that it is no worse than any other rain storm.

Bermuda has been sunny the past two days. At this point I want to cancel lol I've been in 32 cruises and this is a first. Hope it's my last scare lol I've lost all excitement in this cruise. It's iur friends first cruise and I'm trying to be positive ;(

All you can do is stay positive. My daughter is in Bermuda now and she wasn't looking forward to her cruise because the weather forecast called for rain every day in Bermuda. Guess what? There having awesome weather !

We got off of the Breakaway this past Sunday, 9/27, and we were rocking away. We did not hit a storm the Captain said there was low pressure coming from the north which caused the white caps and 11 foot waves. We hit this low pressure the first night sailing right until Tuesday morning and again coming home on Saturday. All of the outside decks were closed on Saturday. The Captain announced a few times that he was activating the stabilizers and to please hold on to the hand rails. Yep, it was bad and no hurricane in sight. Guest Services has motion sickness pills if you need them. Our friend went to see the medic for a quick fix for his dizziness and it would have cost $148 for this quick fix. He said never mind - the nurse told him to take the pills every 4 hours and don't watch TV or stare at thngs. Get fresh air and look at the horizon. He was fine after that.

Have a safe trip everyone - the Breakaway is amazing and Bermuda is beautiful.

We were on this same cruise and had no problem with the seas. In fact, we thought the trip down to Bermuda was very smooth. Coming back, there may have been a few hours when it was not so smooth. Nothing too eventful with the seas.

The storm is heading north so not sure Canada will even be an option!

We were on this same cruise and had no problem with the seas. In fact, we thought the trip down to Bermuda was very smooth. Coming back, there may have been a few hours when it was not so smooth. Nothing too eventful with the seas.

Funny how people see things so differently! 11 foot seas wouldn't be noteworthy to me either.

Edited by antsnanny

your review was amazing! i was on the rccl monarch out of port canaveral during sandy - we had a great, smooth cruise but saw our devastated neighborhood on the news. i'm freaking out about cruising this sunday and your review made me feel a lot better :)