Share your Virtual Balcony experience!

davy jones

Please share your experiences with the virtual balconies on Quantum and Anthem!

How was the view? Did it look "natural"? Did the view align with the motion of the ship? Did the large screen make the room warm? Did it feel funny? Did you keep it on all the time or turn it off? Did it cause any motion discomfort? Any other thoughts?

Please share your experiences with the virtual balconies on Quantum and Anthem!

How was the view? We liked the view, as good as and ocean view without sea spray on the window. Did it look "natural"? Yes, it's a live camera feed. Did the view align with the motion of the ship? Yes. Did the large screen make the room warm? Not that we noticed. Did it feel funny? No. Did you keep it on all the time or turn it off? Turned it off at night because of "snow". (Like when a t.v. looses reception.) Did it cause any motion discomfort? Not at all and my DW gets motion sickness. Any other thoughts? Imho, I think it's as good as an ocean view, but for a lower price, unless you want the natural light when the sun rises.

Link to Interior VB Stateroom “Q” images: http://1drv.ms/1snouox

There may be a difference between cabins that are built as virtual balconies and cabins where it has been added. I stayed in one on Navigator of the Seas just after they had been converted to virtual balconies. There were problems with the controls. And it DID make the cabin warmer. It is a giant TV mounted on the wall. The view that you see looks nice, but imposed on top of that were cartoony looking balcony rails. The sofa/love seat had been taken out of the cabin and replaced with a single chair.

I would stay in one again, but likely only if I were traveling alone. My preference would be a promenade cabin over a VB.

There may be a difference between cabins that are built as virtual balconies and cabins where it has been added. I stayed in one on Navigator of the Seas just after they had been converted to virtual balconies. There were problems with the controls. And it DID make the cabin warmer. It is a giant TV mounted on the wall. The view that you see looks nice, but imposed on top of that were cartoony looking balcony rails. The sofa/love seat had been taken out of the cabin and replaced with a single chair.

I would stay in one again, but likely only if I were traveling alone. My preference would be a promenade cabin over a VB.

I would hate the fake railings imposed, cartoonish as you suggest. I have to assume the cameras are mounted somewhere the public can't get infront of them. I'd be temped to pretend I was looking into someone's room.

We've got a VB next month on out transatlantic crossing, last year we had a balcony and for the crossing part we never went outside so thought we'd save the money this trip and get an inside as there's pretty much nothing to see and the weather wont be great.

Looking forward to checking it out.

I must say, it does look okay. Thanks for the replies and pictures. The railing does look a bit fake, but the views look quite good. I agree that it is as good as, or better than, a porthole view.

Perhaps the next generation ships can pump in some virtual ocean breeze to go with the virtual view. :)

The screen does take up wall space where a love seat would normally be. They give you a comfy chair, but it's not quite the same.

The cabin we had, the screen faced forward so we could see where we were going, but you can't make out too much detail if it is far off.

When off at night, there is still a slight glow coming from the screen. The reason of this is that when you turn it off, you aren't actually turning off the screen, you are turning off the video feed from a network closet somewhere down the hall. It's not bright enough to keep you awake, but if your eyes are adjusted to the darkness, there is enough glow to not stub your toes on the way to the bathroom.

Sound quality is ok, it comes from the TV (Sharp, 80") but also there is a significant frame around the unit to keep people (like myself) from trying to mess with the display (like trying to play a movie on a giant TV) and that muffles the sound just a bit. You can hear the ocean noise and most of the time that is it. However, if you happen to be in your cabin when an announcement comes on in the hallway, you will hear a 3-4 second delay of the same announcement come from your VB. Apparently there is a delay from wherever the webcam feed is coming from. And the volume can be adjusted using the remote provided.

On the plus side, where the TV is positioned, the display is reflected in the mirror over the desk, which is then reflected on the 45 degree angled wall mirror of the bathroom, which then reflects off of the mirror above the bed. The result is that you can actually see the screen from anywhere / any angle of the room.

x5tq91.jpg

The view that you see looks nice, but imposed on top of that were cartoony looking balcony rails.

I would hate the fake railings imposed, cartoonish as you suggest. I have to assume the cameras are mounted somewhere the public can't get infront of them. I'd be temped to pretend I was looking into someone's room.

Other cruse line who have these displays called them virtual ocean view but with RC it is a virtual balcony with that cartoon of a railing.

Looking at the St. Kitts' Port Zante shot I suspect the web cam is mounted in front above the bridge as the ships we've been on for stops here have docked bow in but it could be mounted very high on the stern.

Virtual%20Balcony%20St%20Kitts%20View.JPG?psid=1

Edited by robtulipe

I'm glad I found this link. These ladies knew how to have a good time with their virtual balcony. LMAO

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2026275&highlight=virtual+balcony

Did you notice that some pictures have an aft view, as evidenced by the wake. Others have a side view, as evidenced by the pier.

Interesting.

The view is to reflect where you are on the ship as if you had a balcony, so if your starboard side your view will be of the starboard side, if your aft that will be the view.

Understood, but the rooms mentioned on the Navigator are both Starboard, but they are showing Aft views as well

Has anyone been in a Quantum/Anthem virtual balcony with sofa bed? Reason I'm asking is that I have a category K (I think) and the room indicates a sofa bed. But all of the pictures I've seen show only a chair. I am wondering how the sofa/sofa bed works as to not block the virtual balcony?

Anyone?

I think all the insides state sofa in the cabin description when clearly some have chairs. I've got the cheapest catagory Q inside and ours state sofa and when I spoke with RC they said it's def got a sofa, which I find hard to believe.

I'm sure I've seen a pic of a larger room with the sofa somewhere.

I think all the insides state sofa in the cabin description when clearly some have chairs. I've got the cheapest catagory Q inside and ours state sofa and when I spoke with RC they said it's def got a sofa, which I find hard to believe.

I'm sure I've seen a pic of a larger room with the sofa somewhere.

Maybe they updated it after complaints because this is not the case anymore. When I go on to price my May cruise, I have 3 options for interior

1. Interior Stateroom with Virtual Balcony (Cat. Q, M, N) - It lists "sitting area" but does not state sofa. Pic is accurate with picture of a chair next to virtual balcony.

2. Large Interior Stateroom with Virtual Balcony (Cat. K, L) - It specifies a sitting area with sofa. However I think the pic is in accurate. It shows the same pic as the smaller interior with the chair.

3. Interior Connected Stateroom with Virtual Balcony (Cat. IC) - Also lists sitting area with sofa. The picture does include the sofa in the picture and the cabin looks a bit larger. I think this pic also belongs in the large interior.

Note that on the deck plans, but cabin indicates a triangle which means sofa bed.

Maybe they updated it after complaints because this is not the case anymore. When I go on to price my May cruise, I have 3 options for interior

1. Interior Stateroom with Virtual Balcony (Cat. Q, M, N) - It lists "sitting area" but does not state sofa. Pic is accurate with picture of a chair next to virtual balcony.

2. Large Interior Stateroom with Virtual Balcony (Cat. K, L) - It specifies a sitting area with sofa. However I think the pic is in accurate. It shows the same pic as the smaller interior with the chair.

3. Interior Connected Stateroom with Virtual Balcony (Cat. IC) - Also lists sitting area with sofa. The picture does include the sofa in the picture and the cabin looks a bit larger. I think this pic also belongs in the large interior.

Note that on the deck plans, but cabin indicates a triangle which means sofa bed.

I bet they've had many complaints when they are miss selling cabins and I will be another that will complain.

When we booked we asked then regarding the sofa, we would of booked a different categorie otherwise, we've called and email twice in the last few months to confirm and have written proof. I'm expecting a chair but still we should get what's advertised.

Last week our sailing before being sold out still stated sofa, looks like they are now correcting this.