Rome and the Jewish sector

GilaK

We will be in Rome on 16 Oct. via the Roitterdam. Would like to join or create a tour of the Jewish Museum and synagogues

Your best bet to find like minded people for this is to go to your roll call for your cruise.

I am not Jewish but can tell you that the Jewish sites in both Rome and Venice are very nice and unique.

The gates to the old Jewish Ghetto are still there. The main, largest, synagogue has police has police in front to discourage bomb attempts and admission is carefully controlled. There is a kosher restaurant as well as a kosher pizzeria(!) in the old ghetto.

Glenn:cool:

We were in Rome the Saturday the Red Brigade attacked the Jewish Synagogue. When we were on the highway the next day leaving Rome we encountered every car/vehicle being searched for the attackers. It was terrible to learn what had happened.

You might also be interested in seeing Michelangelo's statue of Moses.

Scott & Karen

A magnificient statue in a beautiful and intimate Church. I would recommend a visit if time allows.

The church, San Pietro in Vincoli (St. Peter in Chains), is the home to the chains which are attributed to have been used to imprison Saint Peter. While the chains are the reason the church was built, the reason to visit is most definitely the statue of Moses.

• 6 months later...
We will be in Rome on 16 Oct. via the Roitterdam. Would like to join or create a tour of the Jewish Museum and synagogues

I will be in Rome in September and am researching tours at this time. Did you join a small group tour or did you tour on your own? If you joined a small group tour, which company did you use? I have found a few companies/tour guides that offer tours of the Jewish Ghetto and synagogues. I am trying to decide which company to use as well as which tours to take. Interestingly, they also offer tours of the Vatican ("Vatican tour from a Jewish perspective") and other tours ("Ancient Rome", "Jewish Catacombs" etc.