No Dynamic Dining! :)

We were on the 9/12/15 sailing of the Oasis. We watched our booking docs go from DD, to MTD and finally to Traditional Dining 6:00- our preferred dining.

On our Freedom of the Seas 8/2014 sailing we were very upset to learn that RCI was planning to implement DD fleet wide. I couldn't believe that they were planning to destroy the most beautiful Main Dining Rooms at sea and create the chaos of everyone having to make dinner reservations in different dining rooms with cuisines you may or may not like, different wait staff every night, without a trial run. The best business practice is to test the waters before diving in!

Luckily enough problems arose with DD that RCI ditched it - not before they destroyed the grandeur of the MDR on the Oasis.

I am, however, happy to report that traditional dining is alive and well on the Oasis! Two of the three new dining rooms are filled with cruisers choosing early or late seating traditional dining and one dining room for MTD.

The new dining rooms are pleasant but lack the grandeur that set RCI dining rooms apart from other mass market cruise lines.

On a most positive note- the food and service were excellent and exceeded our expectations! The menu continues to be varied with ample offerings!

RCI's not too long ago "new menu" with themed spice days: Safron etc. is a winner!

I am grateful that the management reversed their decision to implement Dynamic Dining fleet wide. Hopefully they will not destroy the old MDR on other ships. No other cruise line's ships have a 3 story dining room with a massive chandelier and grand staircase. You can find a one story dining room anywhere!

When we were on Oasis recently, I remember looking up from deck 3 of the dining room and wondering if some seating been added to deck 4 in the area that used to be open space. It did not seem as open as I recall from our Allure cruise in 2011.

Quantum Class ships are retaining Dynamic Dining. No other ship classes will have Dynamic Dining.

Actually, Anthem is the only ship with true DD.

As both Quantum and Ovation will be geared to the Chinese market it will not offer DD.

If you do a booking on Quantum you are only offered the 17.30 or 20.00 dining times- and no MTD or DD.

Interestingly, if you do a booking on Ovation whilst she is in Europe you are only offered "Flexible dining - dine any time the Main Dining room is open".....

However, if you do a booking on Ovation whilst she is in Asia you are only offered the 17.30 or 20.00 dining times- and no MTD or DD.

Try it if you don't believe me! :rolleyes:

I for one loved DD; yes I have been on both Quantum and Anthem and I was looking forward to it being introduced on Oasis class.

Are they officially ditching DD on Harmony? It's been a while since I booked that cruise but we had to choose a DD option at that time.

Yes, officially, only Quantum class ships are getting DD. Of course, you know things can change.

The MDR is horrible. Why would anyone want to keep it?

Furthermore, what's wrong with DD? What's that? Different food every night? Food that isn't bitter, tepid, soggy and under seasoned? The horror. I'm sorry that they scared you by proposing that you try an updated menu with flavors from this millennium. What could they have been thinking?

Edited by Diplomacy

The MDR is horrible. Why would anyone want to keep it?

Furthermore, what's wrong with DD? What's that? Different food every night? Food that isn't bitter, tepid, soggy and under seasoned? The horror. I'm sorry that they scared you by proposing that you try an updated menu with flavors from this millennium. What could they have been thinking?

I don't know ... DD was fine on Quantum but ended up eating up eating the most repeated food because, you know ... at least food in the MDR changes.

I don't know ... DD was fine on Quantum but ended up eating up eating the most repeated food because, you know ... at least food in the MDR changes.

Yeah. One day its wine soaked chicken and pasta, the next day its wine soaked shrimp and pasta, the third day its wine soaked veal, no pasta.

Edited by Diplomacy

The fact that they eliminated DD makes me so disappointed. I like the MDR food, but at the same time, I want some variation. The menu hasn't changed in the slightest in the last 3 years. I couldn't wait to go to a different restaurant every night. The menu's for DD looked amazing!

I am grateful that the management reversed their decision to implement Dynamic Dining fleet wide. Hopefully they will not destroy the old MDR on other ships. No other cruise line's ships have a 3 story dining room with a massive chandelier and grand staircase. You can find a one story dining room anywhere!

Actually, there are a significant number of people who were disappointed by this decision. They find the same table, same waitstaff, same menus, and same table mates every night to be so boring.

I would not be at all surprised to see DD return to the fleet.

Actually, Anthem is the only ship with true DD.

As both Quantum and Ovation will be geared to the Chinese market it will not offer DD.

If you do a booking on Quantum you are only offered the 17.30 or 20.00 dining times- and no MTD or DD.

Interestingly, if you do a booking on Ovation whilst she is in Europe you are only offered "Flexible dining - dine any time the Main Dining room is open".....

However, if you do a booking on Ovation whilst she is in Asia you are only offered the 17.30 or 20.00 dining times- and no MTD or DD.

Try it if you don't believe me! :rolleyes:

I for one loved DD; yes I have been on both Quantum and Anthem and I was looking forward to it being introduced on Oasis class.

And Anthem is a Quantum Class ship. It is the only ship class using Dynamic Dining even if not all ships in the class use it.

Quantum Class ships are retaining Dynamic Dining. No other ship classes will have Dynamic Dining.

Hello Harold!

Never tried Dynamic Dining and don't think I'd like it. I really like going to the MDR the same time every day (late seating) and eating with the same people. Hope everything is going good for you.

Elvis and Priscilla

Hello Harold!

Never tried Dynamic Dining and don't think I'd like it. I really like going to the MDR the same time every day (late seating) and eating with the same people. Hope everything is going good for you.

Elvis and Priscilla

Well hello to you too! I would have tried it once to draw my own opinion but I think what really sunk it was all the problems with the system to make reservations and that you wind up repeating venues if you only dined at the included restaurants.

I still prefer MTD for it's flexibility.

And Anthem is a Quantum Class ship. It is the only ship class using Dynamic Dining even if not all ships in the class use it.

The Anthem also provides the choice of "classic dining," which appears to be a blend of dynamic and traditional, with Disney style rotations among four dining rooms: American Icon Grill, Chic, Silk and the Grande Restaurant. You have the same waiter and table mates at the same assigned seating, and you alternate among the four dining rooms. It is bad enough to have to make reservations for the shows without having to do so for dining as well. To me this "classic" option is ideal.

Edited by emileg

Hello Harold!

Elvis and Priscilla

I'm with you on this , we like traditional dining

Fleetwide, the only ships with Dyamnic Dining are Quantum Class.
Happy about this we have 2 FR and 2 OA cruises and we're glad that no DD -- would have done Classic option but keeping things the way we like it is much better. We can also book Coastal Kitchen on OA as we are in a JS for both cruises.

I'm very glad that traditional dining is still in place on Oasis. With a daughter with nut allergies I was extremely anxious about DD. Now we have early seating with our same waiter and same head waiter who will come by every evening and bring her the meals she can eat and let her order her food for the next night. We grow attached to the same wait staff and enjoy our dinners even more.

Barb