Explore 4 questions

Riversedge

I've looked at HAL's site and done a search here and just want to be sure I am understanding this correctly. We are trying to decide whether to book a cruise that includes the Explore 4. We understand that if we wait until the promotion is over that our price may come down. At that time we could decide whether it was worth it to keep the reservation or to cancel and rebook at a lower price.

This is how I understand it: 15 drinks per person per day for the first two people in the cabin. (man, I can't drink that much even if it includes water and soda...I'd be floating away!!) There is a limit to the amount of each drink but they can be purchased at any of the bars.

Is this correct? And what about drinks in the dining room as long as they are under the per drink cost...are they included also? Seems as tho I remember that wine by the glass was pretty expensive and may not fit in the maximum limit.

I'm also understanding that you get the Pinnacle Grill dinner but that they choose which day and time that it occurs.

Drinks are not included at Half Moon Cay.

Do I have all this correct?

I've looked at HAL's site and done a search here and just want to be sure I am understanding this correctly. We are trying to decide whether to book a cruise that includes the Explore 4. We understand that if we wait until the promotion is over that our price may come down. At that time we could decide whether it was worth it to keep the reservation or to cancel and rebook at a lower price.

This is how I understand it: 15 drinks per person per day for the first two people in the cabin. (man, I can't drink that much even if it includes water and soda...I'd be floating away!!) There is a limit to the amount of each drink but they can be purchased at any of the bars.

Is this correct? And what about drinks in the dining room as long as they are under the per drink cost...are they included also? Seems as tho I remember that wine by the glass was pretty expensive and may not fit in the maximum limit.

I'm also understanding that you get the Pinnacle Grill dinner but that they choose which day and time that it occurs.

Drinks are not included at Half Moon Cay.

Do I have all this correct?

You can also ask them to price the cruise without the Explore4 and see what the difference will be. Right now they are running the other promotion "National Cruise Month" which gives you OBC.

Our TA called us the other day about a cruise for the fall of 2016.

The price she quoted us was high. I asked her what the price would be without the Explore4 package. HAL wouldn't budge and give us a price without the package.

The cruise costs $3000 more than the 14 day we are doing soon that also has the Explore4 package.

I called HAL and they would not price the cruise without the Explore 4. Since this promotion lasts until the end of the month I would have to wait until then to see the new prices. Since that is still before the final payment date I could then cancel and rebook if there was a big difference.

Still would like to know if it includes drinks in the dining room. Can someone enlighten me?

OK, I'm still confused. When I called HAL to ask about the Explore 4 they said 15 drinks per person per day with a limit of $8.00 a drink. If I multiply 8 x 15 it comes out to $120.00 per person. No one mentioned to me a maximum dollar amount per day. It looks to me if I read the fine print that there's a maximum $50.00 per day. That's hardly 15 drinks. And if there is a maximum of $50.00 a day, is that per person? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to decide if it's a good value. Hard to do when you don't know exactly what you're getting.

Here's the Terms & Conditions

*Fares and Explore4 offers are based on Promo(s) KA/KC/JA. Featured fares are per person based on double occupancy, cruise or Land+Sea Journeys only. Fares are in U.S. dollars. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional and range from $108.72 to $769.66. Subject to availability. Explore4 offers are per stateroom based on double occupancy, for 1st and 2nd guests sharing a stateroom and excludes 3rd/4th guests, except as provided herein. Explore4 offers are available for new bookings only, apply only to the cruise portion of Alaska Land+Sea Journeys, are not combinable with any other discounts, are not transferable, are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Offers are applicable on select 2015, 2016 and 2017 departures. The Signature Beverage Package value of US$1,400 is based on a 14 day cruise and has a daily limit of 15 beverages, which includes all beverages priced $8.00USD or lower including service charges. Signature Beverage Package excludes purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable and may be used only on the cruise portion of Land+Sea Journeys. Participants may order only one drink at a time and must be 21 years or older. No sharing is permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the Signature Beverage Package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per person per day, including service charges. Guests receive one complimentary Pinnacle Grill dinner per person. Offer is not transferable or refundable. Reservations and dining times will be assigned and a confirmation card will be placed in your stateroom upon embarkation day. Offer excludes Specialty Dining Events in the Pinnacle Grill such as Le Cirque, De Librije, Master Chef’s Table and Sommelier Dinner. Third/fourth offer is based on sharing a stateroom with 1st and 2nd guests, valid on select sailings, and are based on Promo Z3. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses apply to all 3rd/4th offers. Reduced deposit offer is valid for new bookings only. Bookings made on voyages requiring immediate final payment are not eligible for a reduced deposit. Suite offer: Guests who book a suite category stateroom receive one complimentary Canaletto dinner per person and $150 USD per person ($300 USD per stateroom) onboard spending credit. Suite offers apply only to guests 1 and 2 in the stateroom and are not transferable or refundable. The onboard spending credit is not combinable with regional discounts, Net Rates or other travel agency exclusive offers. For more information about our stateroom categories and suite descriptions, and to view deck plans and for full terms and conditions applicable to your cruise, please refer to hollandamerica.com or the appropriate Holland America brochure. Offers are capacity controlled, and may be modified or withdrawn without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. Explore4 offers end October 30, 2015. Ships' Registry: The Netherlands.

Edited by blizzardboy

OK, I'm still confused. When I called HAL to ask about the Explore 4 they said 15 drinks per person per day with a limit of $8.00 a drink. If I multiply 8 x 15 it comes out to $120.00 per person. No one mentioned to me a maximum dollar amount per day. It looks to me if I read the fine print that there's a maximum $50.00 per day. That's hardly 15 drinks. And if there is a maximum of $50.00 a day, is that per person? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to decide if it's a good value. Hard to do when you don't know exactly what you're getting.

No, there is no dollar limit. The fine print says it has a "retail value" of $50/day but that's not a limit on use, simply a statement of value used for tax purposes.

The $50 represents the approximate cost if you bought the drink package. It's $44.95 + 15% service charge. The value to you depends on how thirsty you are, and what you drink to quench said thirst. It could be as high as around $140.

One thing to be aware of is that you can't trade in any number of drinks for a bottle of wine. Wine is only by the glass on this package.

Also, you won't know your Pinnacle dinner until you board. If you don't like the time go there asap to try to change. I didn't like the time for the dinner we got from Explore 4 this past winter and when I asked to change it I was told they were all booked. Guess a LOT of people had Explore 4!

This Sept we had the Anniversary package with the OBC (supposedly for tours) and a Pinnacle Dinner. When I didn't find a reservation card in our cabin, I went to the Pinnacle to ask when my dinner would be and I was able to make a reservation. Not a lot of choice, because I didn't do this right away, but there was some flexibility.

I don't know if the difference was because of the different packages or different ships. In any case, check on it quickly while there's still a chance to make a reservation at a time/day you like.

One thing to be aware of is that you can't trade in any number of drinks for a bottle of wine. Wine is only by the glass on this package.

Also, you won't know your Pinnacle dinner until you board. If you don't like the time go there asap to try to change. I didn't like the time for the dinner we got from Explore 4 this past winter and when I asked to change it I was told they were all booked. Guess a LOT of people had Explore 4!

This Sept we had the Anniversary package with the OBC (supposedly for tours) and a Pinnacle Dinner. When I didn't find a reservation card in our cabin, I went to the Pinnacle to ask when my dinner would be and I was able to make a reservation. Not a lot of choice, because I didn't do this right away, but there was some flexibility.

I don't know if the difference was because of the different packages or different ships. In any case, check on it quickly while there's still a chance to make a reservation at a time/day you like.

On my last cruise, in May, with E4, we could make our PG reservation at the date and time of our choosing, around the pre-booked times. The choice was somewhat limited but we still found a day and time that worked for us. I don't think HAL gives you a time any more; I think it's up to pax to know what perks come with their fare and ensure they get what was promised. I imagine the HAL-booked reservations caused grief for the staff with many pax wanting to change their reservations.

On my last cruise, in May, with E4, we could make our PG reservation at the date and time of our choosing, around the pre-booked times. The choice was somewhat limited but we still found a day and time that worked for us. I don't think HAL gives you a time any more; I think it's up to pax to know what perks come with their fare and ensure they get what was promised. I imagine the HAL-booked reservations caused grief for the staff with many pax wanting to change their reservations.

Last week on the Westerdam, they assigned us our time for the Pinnacle. Perhaps this is another thing that varies by ship. We were fine with the day and time and were able to add to the reservation so our nephew could join us. We did pay for him.

• 2 weeks later...

please enlighten me regarding drinks on my veranda before dinner. I am booked on an 11 day Cruise Jan.25 Panama Canal. My son and I will be traveling together, each of us in our own cabin, mine a balcony. Explore 4 Promo included for each of us. We would like to enjoy a gin and tonic on my balcony before dinner. Can I order the drinks, just one for each of us, on my beverage package, to be delivered to my cabin? Or, can my son charge his drink to his beverage package, delivered to my cabin? Or.......do we have to go to the nearest bar, get our drinks, and carry them to my cabin?

If room service isn't allowed, do we bring our own Gin and will room service deliver tonic and a lime?

please enlighten me regarding drinks on my veranda before dinner. I am booked on an 11 day Cruise Jan.25 Panama Canal. My son and I will be traveling together, each of us in our own cabin, mine a balcony. Explore 4 Promo included for each of us. We would like to enjoy a gin and tonic on my balcony before dinner. Can I order the drinks, just one for each of us, on my beverage package, to be delivered to my cabin? Or, can my son charge his drink to his beverage package, delivered to my cabin? Or.......do we have to go to the nearest bar, get our drinks, and carry them to my cabin?

If room service isn't allowed, do we bring our own Gin and will room service deliver tonic and a lime?

As already mentioned, you have to get your own drinks from one of the bars or dining rooms.

Further, you are not allowed to bring gin or any other liquor onboard. You can bring tonic and you can get limes from the bar (or I guess bring your own on).