Tell Me (Please!) About the Equinox & AquaClass Cabins

Rosethorn40

I have never sailed on Celebrity, but have always been opened to trying them. We've cruised 3 times in Europe (Princess, Holland America, & Viking River) and loved each of them. Today, I received an email from Celebrity about a "Limited" time offer for Europe 2016 cruises. The one that appears most attractive to us is a 7-day on the Equinox from Istanbul to Rome, with stops in Mykonos, Malta, Sicily, & Naples. I would probably add a few days after in Rome. DH's work scheduled makes it difficult for us to be gone longer than a week, which is one reason why this itinerary looks appealing. I have a few questions that I am hoping the experts or anyone with an opinion can help me with.

I want an AquaClass cabin because the thermal suites we have enjoyed on other ships is very important to DH, & by getting this class cabin guarantees we have access. For anyone that has stayed in this type of cabin, what did you think? Did you enjoy the Persian Garden? If we stayed in a different cabin category would we be able to buy passes to the Persian Garden, or are they hard to come by unless you are among the first on board?

I don't hate kids, and I realize that any cruise in the summer will have a larger number of children on board, but sometimes I need to be around adults only. Is there an adult only pool on the Equniox?

Finally, the offer was besides savings on the fare, you could pick 2 perks out of 4 offerings; Classic Beverage Package, $150 OBC, Prepaid Gratuities, Unlimited Internet, or for $315 more pp you could have all 4.

Neither of us are heavy drinkers, maybe 1 cocktail & a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. I do use the internet quite a bit. Do you think the extra $315 is worth it to get all 4?

After dinner entertainment is of no importance to us, and with a cruise that doesn't include any sea days I expect us to turn in early most evenings. My only real concern is I am used to smaller ships, Viking carried 177 PAX, the Ocean Princess was 670 PAX, & the Eurodam was around 2000. Will I find the Equinox crowded & chaotic?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

We have sailed on the Equinox 3 times all in Aqua. We do not use the spa so someone else will hopefully chime in, although I do know you can but passes if you are not in Aqua.

The cabins are lovely. For us the #1 reason we book AQ is so that we have Blu as our restaurant. Blu is much smaller than the main dining room so less noise & comotion. Although the food in the MDR is quite good we feel the food & service is better in Blu. Since you have been sailing on smaller ships you may find Blu more like what you are accustomed to experiencing.

There is a adults only pool in the Solerium, the only exception is if the weather is bad they will designate 2hours that children, accompanied by a adult may swim there.

We have been on 10 Celebrity cruises, at all times of the year (except Xmas & Thanksgiving) there are always kids but not many that we have seen. We have been told by those we met who were traveling with children that the children's program is great and the kids enjoy going.

As to the option to pay $315pp for all 4 perk. Doing the math the gratuities are $94.15 pp in AQ, OBC is $150, a 90 minute Internet package is $50= value of $294. So if you spend $315 you get unlimited internet Vs 90 min in my example, the drink package (includes soda, water speciality Coffees, wine, spirits) gratuities & the OBC. I would say it is worth it.

We have sailed on the Equinox 3 times all in Aqua. We do not use the spa so someone else will hopefully chime in, although I do know you can but passes if you are not in Aqua.

The cabins are lovely. For us the #1 reason we book AQ is so that we have Blu as our restaurant. Blu is much smaller than the main dining room so less noise & comotion. Although the food in the MDR is quite good we feel the food & service is better in Blu. Since you have been sailing on smaller ships you may find Blu more like what you are accustomed to experiencing.

There is a adults only pool in the Solerium, the only exception is if the weather is bad they will designate 2hours that children, accompanied by a adult may swim there.

We have been on 10 Celebrity cruises, at all times of the year (except Xmas & Thanksgiving) there are always kids but not many that we have seen. We have been told by those we met who were traveling with children that the children's program is great and the kids enjoy going.

As to the option to pay $315pp for all 4 perk. Doing the math the gratuities are $94.15 pp in AQ, OBC is $150, a 90 minute Internet package is $50= value of $294. So if you spend $315 you get unlimited internet Vs 90 min in my example, the drink package (includes soda, water speciality Coffees, wine, spirits) gratuities & the OBC. I would say it is worth it.

Thank you! You sold me on the AquaClass. It didn't occur to me the Blu would make dining a bit quieter. I have a cabin on hold, and I think I will go back and put down a deposit.

Persian garden on Equinox is lovely! We hit a big storm in Dubrovnik and we lay watching it on the heated loungers through the big picture windows. Also the AQ lounge is one of the most fabulous spots on the ship. Book you won't be disappointed

Thank you! You sold me on the AquaClass. It didn't occur to me the Blu would make dining a bit quieter. I have a cabin on hold, and I think I will go back and put down a deposit.

And Blu's breakfasts are wonderful also, very quiet and good food.

Since Solstice class and AQUA were introduced we have sailed almost exclusively in AQUA exceptions being one cruise in Celebrity Suite and one in Sky Suite. We are both hearing impaired so BLU is so much better for us, also don't care for crowds. We love the food and the service in BLU and you can ask for items not on the menu if the spirit moves you. Everynow and then I want a baked potato or mashed potatoes, for example.

DH loves Persian Gardens and all the perks that go with it. As another posted you must do the math and then decide what is most important to you. I booked B2B for Feb. and had to do the math for the new promotion but have 123 for 1st cruise.

We have sailed all 5 Solstice class ships and love them all. Hope you will too.

Grace and Rudy

We are sailing on the Equinox next November and I'm trying to decide if the $500ish upcharge to move from a 1A balcony to an A2 is worth it. While BLU would be lovely we do like the specialties and I'd feel guilty on paying extra to dine in BLU then not dining there for 4-5 of the 11 nights. We have always been more than pleased with the food and service in the MDR. Persian Garden access is sort of a draw in terms of cost/benefit as I'm not sure we'd use it much. We'd also have to give up a prime extra deep hump balcony on deck 9 for a standard AQ balcony ..... any thoughts?

To the original poster, it is also likely there would be very few children in Blu. Aqua cabins are double occupancy only so only a child with one adult or suite passengers (though they have their own restaurant as well) who choose to dine there would allow for kids in Blu though any children would be rare as the menu won't appeal to many children.

On the other side, there is no difference in the physical cabin between Aqua and a standard balcony cabins

Look at deck plans and read the sticky on the various cabins. All of the ships in the "S-Class" are the same expect Reflection. Then choose the cabin that best works for you.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using fat fingers and Tapatalk

We are sailing on the Equinox next November and I'm trying to decide if the $500ish upcharge to move from a 1A balcony to an A2 is worth it. While BLU would be lovely we do like the specialties and I'd feel guilty on paying extra to dine in BLU then not dining there for 4-5 of the 11 nights. We have always been more than pleased with the food and service in the MDR. Persian Garden access is sort of a draw in terms of cost/benefit as I'm not sure we'd use it much. We'd also have to give up a prime extra deep hump balcony on deck 9 for a standard AQ balcony ..... any thoughts?

In your situation I would not give up the prime extra deep hump balcony, especially for the extra cost. If you've enjoyed the food and service in the MDR I'm not sure you'd really love BLU. Check out the menus to be sure but for us we didn't love the options.

In your situation I would not give up the prime extra deep hump balcony, especially for the extra cost. If you've enjoyed the food and service in the MDR I'm not sure you'd really love BLU. Check out the menus to be sure but for us we didn't love the options.

Those extra deep hump cabins are also available in AQ cabins.

Those extra deep hump cabins are also available in AQ cabins.

If one were available then I'd probably be easier about the price difference. Right now for the 11/7/16 Equinox sailing they are not available sadly. Additionally the cost to go from my current rate on an 1A to an A1 on this sailing is $770, which seems a bit much, even if I could get an oversized hump balcony.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Keep the 1A. We are in an A2 in Nov only because of a special when we booked last Nov. and are going to miss that deep balcony. Use the savings and get 2, 5 night Speciality pkg's :D

Keep the 1A. We are in an A2 in Nov only because of a special when we booked last Nov. and are going to miss that deep balcony. Use the savings and get 2, 5 night Speciality pkg's :D

We had already planned on doing a 5 night package. Not sure my system could handle 10 nights specialty dining :D

If my understanding of the offer is correct, I don't think this math makes sense. OP said that 2 are included and you get all 4 for $315. That means you're paying $315 for 2 perks, not 4.

Since OBC is basically like cash, you can say that essentially you're paying $165 for the 3rd service. Because if any of the 3 are under 165, you'd be better off to pick the other 2 and pay for the 3rd yourself and skip the OBC.

Since you said tips are <$100, it sounds like the best deal if you want all 4, is to choose Internet and drinks. Of you don't care about Internet or drinks, sub one of those for the OBC, since 150>100.

I may be misunderstanding the OP, but it seems like this isn't a good deal.

Edited by ScarlettMLB

If one were available then I'd probably be easier about the price difference. Right now for the 11/7/16 Equinox sailing they are not available sadly. Additionally the cost to go from my current rate on an 1A to an A1 on this sailing is $770, which seems a bit much, even if I could get an oversized hump balcony.

A little off topic but I had one of those large hump cabins in AQ. There are no lights on the veranda's on S class ships and it can get very dark. If you plan to do some reading, bring some type of a light.

A little off topic but I had one of those large hump cabins in AQ. There are no lights on the veranda's on S class ships and it can get very dark. If you plan to do some reading, bring some type of a light.

True. But daytime is not a problem and evening I like flameless candles!! Not enough for reading, but for ambience :)