Topsham, safe from hurricane

solocanadian

Topsham, hope this finds you safe and out of harms way from the hurricane, Stephen. CTV Canada interviewed someone from your weather station in Hamilton this morning. Met you on Rotterdam V many years ago in Vancouver before we took off for South America.:)

Yes, and the camera must be jiggling around quite a bit in the wind!

Stay safe, Topsham!

Did you notice that little note at the top of the screen? "Captain NCL Breakaway - Take your time - We have weather here!"

Edited by Vict0riann

Just went to the Port Bermuda Web Cam and found this:

http://portbermudawebcam.com/

HURRICANE STATUS: Camera is now OFFLINE for an indefinite period. Major roof damage.

They also Tweeted this:

PTZtv@PTZtvOur Port Bermuda Webcam streamed live through another #hurricane but our host building did not survive. Major damage. We are now OFFLINE.

Just went to the Bermuda Facebook page and this was posted 1 hour ago:

Port Bermuda Webcam

1 hr ·

HURRICANE UPDATE: Power to our equipment has been been turned off for safety reasons while inspection work begins at Commissioner's House. Very sadly, there has been extensive damage and the roof is no longer serviceable as a mounting location for our equipment. Many other roof-based services have disappeared in the storm. It is still amazing that our camera stayed intact and running. Especially as current theory suggests a tornado may have produced this level of damage, with stone chimneys demolished and steel poles bent backwards.

At this time, we have no idea when or where we will be able to re-establish the Port Bermuda Webcam service. As we learn more or get photos, we will share updates.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie
Added Facebook message

Wow, it sounds like they were really hit hard; I sincerely hope everyone is alright. It's frightening for me to think - where would you hide during a hurricane in the islands? It isn't like they would have hurricane cellars.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :)

I listened to news stations trying to find out how Bermuda was hit and found very little information. They barely mentioned Bermuda being in the storm's path. Of course, the flooding in So. Carolina has consumed so much air time, as it should.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am sorry everyone. I didn't see your thread and the postings! I was busy posting on HSC 'stuff'!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hate these damn hurricanes. Last year with two direct hits were two too many! Three years I skipped away to avoid a hurricane and ended up stranded in Boston the Caribbean Princess for 'Sandy'.

On Sunday afternoon the lights flickered a few times but didn't fail. Late that evening... internet failed but cable kept on. First next morning cable on was back on. All was well.

Found out there were some power failures around the island but I believe all working fine now. The wind were not too bad.... like 6o knots. Some small branches came down .... leaves blow away but largely everything looks good. More like a typical winter storm.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

My thoughts are more on the sad loss of the crew of the El Faro.

Stephen

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I am sorry everyone. I didn't see your thread and the postings! I was busy posting on HSC 'stuff'!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hate these damn hurricanes. Last year with two direct hits were two too many! Three years I skipped away to avoid a hurricane and ended up stranded in Boston the Caribbean Princess for 'Sandy'.

On Sunday afternoon the lights flickered a few times but didn't fail. Late that evening... internet failed but cable kept on. First next morning cable on was back on. All was well.

Found out there were some power failures around the island but I believe all working fine now. The wind were not too bad.... like 6o knots. Some small branches came down .... leaves blow away but largely everything looks good. More like a typical winter storm.

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

My thoughts are more on the sad loss of the crew of the El Faro.

Stephen

Glad you are safe and well, Captain. :)

It is very sad about the loss of life on the El Faro. It's been a big story here in Florida. I have to ask, why would the ship have sailed from Jacksonville to San Juan like they did knowing of the presence of Joaquin and it's building strength?

Edited by 0bnxshs

Likely the Master thought the storm would abate and when moved.. would move north. Instead the storm moved back on the track and right where the El Faro was sailing past.

Those trailer/container ships are not the best design. If you get onto the trailer deck you loose stability by free surface... and quickly she will go over. On top of that they lost the boiler and no power to manage the ship. Lifeboats? That high on the superstructure? Impossible to launch unless in only calm waters. The ship originally had two boilers. Almost ten years ago one was permanently closed down. She had been running just on one boiler... approved by USCG. I'd be more interesting how USCG allowed a very old ship... way past it's sell date. Nothing to indicate there was lack of maintenance or neglect by master, officers and crew. Just a very sad situation.

Topsham, thank you for checking in to let us know you are safe. Hopefully there was not too much damage for you and your fellow islanders.

Can you answer a question for me? Where do you go when a hurricane comes? Do you just hunker down and hope for the best?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

Topsham, thank you for checking in to let us know you are safe. Hopefully there was not too much damage for you and your fellow islanders.

Can you answer a question for me? Where do you go when a hurricane comes? Do you just hunker down and hope for the best?

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

This storm was not that bad. Last year.. two direct hits... eye right over.

During the storm.... hate to be boring... I was working in my studio. Lights stayed on.... music on... just go on as usual. OK... you can feel the pressure onto the house... and some noise. Bermuda houses are built of stone. This is close to 300 years old.

Thanks again.

Stephen

When I lived in Nassau (in the far distant past!:D) if a hurricane was approaching, we would tightly close all the shutters, and probably have a "hurricane party" which meant an overnighter!

My cousin, who retired from the Canadian Coast Guard and is currently in the hospital again, very confused, says he needs to go and volunteer to help in the search for El Faro! Captain Card, he says in his youth he worked on a ship called Faro - without the El - I wondered if it could possibly be the same ship. It must have been almost 50 years ago. He worked on freighters, but I think this was a container ship?