Poor Excursions Hurt Marina Experience

seniorsoftball

We took a 22 day cruise from Amsterdam to Rome, with the expectation that we would see and enjoy many new places. The ship itself was excellent, with the veranda stateroom large enough for the long cruise and the food and service was excellent. Unfortunately, the support for the excursions was poor. A few weeks before the cruise started, Oceania announced a cut of 8 hours in five ports in the first part of the cruise, and 3 hours for three ports in the second part. The ship also was late in arriving in two of the ports in the first part. This itself had a very negative affect on previously-purchased excursions for those ports. We purchased 10 excursions from Oceania and 10 from independents. Oceania only had one excellent excursion and the independents had five, and the quality of the rest of Oceania's excursions was average to terrible. The cost of the independent excursions was much less, and Oceania is now bundling the sale of their excursions (for about half of the ports of a cruise) in the price. We would not consider using Oceania again.

It must have been incredibly annoying to have your times in port reduced so much and you have my sympathy.

However, as regards the quality of the excursions, I think you will find that all the cruise lines offer pretty much the same excursions. I say this having done maybe thirty Med cruises with perhaps ten different cruise lines. (The only difference is the price charged, since the 'British' lines seem to take a smaller profit. But that may just be exchange rate differences.). The excursions are all provided by local tour operators and are just booked through the ship's excursion people. All you can do is research each tour very carefully before booking and try to find reviews of them. Ask on here or look at other lines' excursions online since some companies such as HAL include reviews.

We took a 22 day cruise from Amsterdam to Rome, with the expectation that we would see and enjoy many new places. The ship itself was excellent, with the veranda stateroom large enough for the long cruise and the food and service was excellent. Unfortunately, the support for the excursions was poor. A few weeks before the cruise started, Oceania announced a cut of 8 hours in five ports in the first part of the cruise, and 3 hours for three ports in the second part. The ship also was late in arriving in two of the ports in the first part. This itself had a very negative affect on previously-purchased excursions for those ports. We purchased 10 excursions from Oceania and 10 from independents. Oceania only had one excellent excursion and the independents had five, and the quality of the rest of Oceania's excursions was average to terrible. The cost of the independent excursions was much less, and Oceania is now bundling the sale of their excursions (for about half of the ports of a cruise) in the price. We would not consider using Oceania again.

I believe Oceania is no longer changing port times..

Jancruz1

Just wanted to add that it would be helpful for future cruisers of you could report on your experiences of the excursions on the appropriate Port of Call board on here. Especially the terrible ones, so people know what to avoid!

It must have been incredibly annoying to have your times in port reduced so much and you have my sympathy.

However, as regards the quality of the excursions, I think you will find that all the cruise lines offer pretty much the same excursions. I say this having done maybe thirty Med cruises with perhaps ten different cruise lines. (The only difference is the price charged, since the 'British' lines seem to take a smaller profit. But that may just be exchange rate differences.). The excursions are all provided by local tour operators and are just booked through the ship's excursion people. All you can do is research each tour very carefully before booking and try to find reviews of them. Ask on here or look at other lines' excursions online since some companies such as HAL include reviews.

agree. We usually do private tours or diy unless the ship offers some small excursions. Those can be good. Overall, we have found most ship's tours to be too large, delayed by the people who are not on time, delayed by washroom stops, etc. And, I confess, we don't like being herded.

Overall, we have done far better with private tours due to the flexibility, small groups and ability to stay or move on, etc. The fact that they are usually cheaper is just a plus. We look for quality first - price difference is a big bonus :)

I believe Oceania is no longer changing port times..

Jancruz1

thanks - interesting. They did for our cruise and several others and after final payment. I'd be interested in hearing why they did it and why they have stopped? (other than complaints).

Stuff happens when you are cruising - weather, safety, etc. But after final payment and before sailing? We didn't lose as much time as the OP but my private tour in Bermuda told me three months ago we were leaving two hours early. I called O and they said no. I followed the tour operators' advice though and we agreed to start earlier. And just a few weeks ago, after final payment, O's itinerary changed to exactly that time that my private operator had told me it would be.