Eating Gluten Free on Brilliance of the Seas

Bsue7

Overall there was plenty of food. In the dining room The menus all had Gluten Free options marked. The staff in the dining room were knowledgeable about what foods were safe and what items on the menu could be adapted. I was given a menu each evening and chose my meal and dessert for the next evening. Wonderful! However the exact opposite happened in the Windjammer cafe. When the dining room was closed for lunch the only option was the cafe. Foods were not labelled, I had to get someone from the kitchen to come out and go around with me pointing out the GF foods. (a demeaning and embarrassing situation for me and the staff) Each time there would be at least one option that they would tell me "I don't know if it is safe" and occasionally come back to say that the kitchen staff were too busy to tell them if the food was GF. I complained every time and got the same response, the chef says people do not like to eat labelled food. More than once I was told I couldn't eat a food because it had dairy in it! I had to explain what Gluten was to the food service people more than once. NOT happy! Food needs to be clearly marked, GF, dairy free, nut free, etc. It is not pleasant to have to ask someone to walk around with you especially as some did not understand the difference between Gluten Free and Dairy Free. If the dining room can do this, why can't the cafe?

Surely, you know what sorts of items you can and can't have, by now! If in doubt...don't eat it....but there must have been plenty of things you KNOW are gluten free....sliced meats, fruits, plain veggies....anything with a sauce is a no-no...

Not sure how it's "embarrassing" to have someone from the kitchen come and talk to you..

I know the dining room is more responsive, but on port days, you kinda have to take your own health into your own hands.

Edited by cb at sea

• 2 weeks later...

Actually there is many ways to make a recipe from regular into gluten free. Even those things with a sauce. They can then label the food gluten free. For those with an allergy this could make the difference of an ok trip and an outstanding trip. Some processed meats have gluten, would be nice to have labels.

Surely, you know what sorts of items you can and can't have, by now! If in doubt...don't eat it....but there must have been plenty of things you KNOW are gluten free....sliced meats, fruits, plain veggies....anything with a sauce is a no-no...

Not sure how it's "embarrassing" to have someone from the kitchen come and talk to you..

I know the dining room is more responsive, but on port days, you kinda have to take your own health into your own hands.

You have to be really careful and not do a lot of assuming onboard, especially when it comes to allergies and the way that food is prepared.

For example, bacon. You would "think" that bacon is gluten free, wouldn't you? However, the way that RCCL prepares bacon turns it into a gluten product. How? What?!? Yes, they use bread on the grill to soak up the grease and put bacon on bread to soak up the grease. Assuming that you know what you're seeing when you're an allergy diner just doesn't get the job done. You absolutely, positively must inquire as to the food preparations.

And the idea that it's embarrassing to have a chef come from the kitchen and speak with you... it's embarrassing because of the reaction of other diners. People who assume that you should be able to take care of yourself, for example. I've overheard plenty of comments from people, plenty of eye rolling going on. Someone even asked me why I was taking up so much of the chef's time. Really? Maybe that would be because I don't fancy a trip to medical. Easy answer. I'll deal with the embarrassment quotient to have a safe cruise. I just wish that people were a bit more sympathetic to the difficulties that allergy diners face.

Edited by Member123

Overall there was plenty of food. In the dining room The menus all had Gluten Free options marked. The staff in the dining room were knowledgeable about what foods were safe and what items on the menu could be adapted. I was given a menu each evening and chose my meal and dessert for the next evening. Wonderful!

I'm curious what kinds of desserts you had? I'll be cruising next summer on RC for the first time.

I don't understand the embarrassment issue on having someone point out the "safe" foods to you.

My daughter has a severe banana allergy and my husband has a toxic response to mushrooms (same GI effects as eating death angels, just doesn't kill him).

We are always delighted when a chef takes the time to come out and point out the banana or mushroom containing foods.

Of course, both err on the side of caution as they are aware where of the foods where banana and mushrooms lurk or foods that possibly could be cross contaminated (i.e., fruit smoothies because the blender is not washed with soap between the smoothies).