Free Gratuities ~ How Do The Staff Get Renumerated

Wren3

"Free gratuities" is a myth just like "free airfare". It's all been calculated into your fare & you're paying for it - it's simply been packaged in a more acceptable fashion than before. I understand what's going on & don't mind it as long as I can parse it out on my own. Note - we decline "free airfare" & book our own --- at almost exactly the same price but we get the flight we want guaranteed long in advance & O reimburses us for it! The one thing that is good about it is the ease of it all.

And that's the truth!!! I, for one, am fed up with all the "FREE' nonsense.

adDoris, I thank you from the bottom of my capitalist heart because you alone seem to understand what's going on in pricing cruises.

There is NOTHING that is 'free' - there is no such thing as 'free' gratuities or air fare or wine at meals. It's all been built into your cruise fare & you're paying for it. If you choose to TIP above & beyond what Oceania bills you for your cruise - I don't know what to say but here's my best shot ==== If you were to go out to dinner in America with a big group, & the restaurant said that tips at 20% were included in the price of your meal - would you feel compelled to give an additional tip? Even if you'd been told it was already included in the price of your meal????? HUH???? DUH???

When you evaluate the price of your vacation, you need to evaluate services seriously & comparison shop.

Edited by shedridt
additional information

Doris, I thank you from the bottom of my capitalist heart because you alone seem to understand what's going on in pricing cruises.

There is NOTHING that is 'free' - there is no such thing as 'free' gratuities or air fare or wine at meals. It's all been built into your cruise fare & you're paying for it. If you choose to TIP above & beyond what Oceania bills you for your cruise - I don't know what to say but here's my best shot ==== If you were to go out to dinner in America with a big group, & the restaurant said that tips at 20% were included in the price of your meal - would you feel compelled to give an additional tip? Even if you'd been told it was already included in the price of your meal????? HUH???? DUH???

When you evaluate the price of your vacation, you need to evaluate services seriously & comparison shop.

Another poster said that I was wrong in suggesting that tips are not included in the cruise price, but I challenge this. ABSOLUTELY Oceania touts its cruises as being inclusive of gratuities. There could be some confusion in cruises booked in the USA vs UK etc --- but ABSOLUTELY Oceania's cruises marketed in the USA are sold inclusive of gratuities.

There is no system that I book my cruises under that is so Machiavellian as the one you suggest - as in, you only get free gratuities if you've got 10 cruises etc.

I just book my cruise & it's advertised as having gratuities included. That's all I know on earth, & all I need to know.

Edited by shedridt

Another poster said that I was wrong in suggesting that tips are not included in the cruise price, but I challenge this. ABSOLUTELY Oceania touts its cruises as being inclusive of gratuities. There could be some confusion in cruises booked in the USA vs UK etc --- but ABSOLUTELY Oceania's cruises marketed in the USA are sold inclusive of gratuities.

There are some cruises marketed with Free Gratuities now this is not always the case

Cruises not marketed as such will have the amount added to your shipboard account

Some people will get the PPG from their TA when booking as a perk

some will get PPG when they reach 10 + cruises (Silver )

adDoris, I thank you from the bottom of my capitalist heart because you alone seem to understand what's going on in pricing cruises.

There is NOTHING that is 'free' - there is no such thing as 'free' gratuities

This is usually true but not always.

We have already booked a cruise at a certain price that we were fully prepared to pay. The cruise was not selling well. O decides to sweeten the pot to get additional bookings and they add a promotion (PPG, free internet and $400 OBC) - we were able to add this to our booking at no additional charge. BTW, they also added a FREE 3 day Safari (or cash credit for not taking it) and lowered the cruise price by $1000 - all without additional charge.

So for us the internet IS FREE, the added PPG ARE FREE (and for us they are worth $1100 as OBC); we also get another $400 OBC to boot. The Safari, if one took it was also FREE (as in no additional cost).

Also, Silver and above always get PPG without any additional cost of the cruise - they pay the same for their cruise as Bronze or below but do get PPG. Platinum and above get free air deviation (worth $350?) without paying more for their cruise, etc

So, sometimes there is such a thing as free.

Edited by Paulchili

There is no system that I book my cruises under that is so Machiavellian as the one you suggest - as in, you only get free gratuities if you've got 10 cruises etc.

I just book my cruise & it's advertised as having gratuities included. That's all I know on earth, & all I need to know.

How disappointed you are going to be when you discover that the service is so good that you are going to want to make an additional contribution! :p

I have never known anyone who didn't........or rather, didn't at least claim that they did :o

Doris, I thank you from the bottom of my capitalist heart because you alone seem to understand what's going on in pricing cruises.

Your stating things in CAPS does not make them true. Paulchilli laid out several scenarios in which something is not included in the fare but is absolutely free when compared to the same fare without those perks.

Also, regarding Oceania gratuities, consider the following: You book directly through the Miami office, not with a TA.. You have fewer than 10 cruises with Oceania. Your cruise is not advertised with "free gratuities" (AS Has already been stated by Lyn and others, not all Oceania cruises include that offer). In this case, you will have the gratuities added to your onboard account. It is absolutely not true that gratuities are always included.

Also, I don't think there is anyone on this forum who is not aware that many of the "free" things are actually included in the fare. But, we don't get our panties all wadded up about it. Either the bottom line is worth it to one or it is not, and that bottom line is the only number that counts.

I have never known anyone who didn't........or rather, didn't at least claim that they did :o

Gosh, Jim, I thought we were friends. I have never claimed I added something extra when I did not, and I often do not add something.

Gosh, Jim, I thought we were friends. I have never claimed I added something extra when I did not, and I often do not add something.

We ARE friends, Don. :D

-and I hate to doubt you, but I find that the real you is much more generous (dare I say "less frugal"?) than your Cruise Critic persona sometimes implies-

I'm wondering if you are trying to be politically correct here.

Of course, tipping MAY just be another reason why we don't have the World Cruise wherewithal.....:o

We ARE friends, Don. :D

-and I hate to doubt you, but I find that the real you is much more generous (dare I say "less frugal"?) than your Cruise Critic persona sometimes implies-

I'm wondering if you are trying to be politically correct here.

Of course, tipping MAY just be another reason why we don't have the World Cruise wherewithal.....:o

Generous, maybe, but we often decide the included gratuities (whether paid by us or by someone else) are entirely adequate, and seldom leave extra. You said you don't know anyone who doesn't leave extra or not claim they did. We've never claimed we left extra when we didn't, and we don't often tip beyond the required amount.

I get enough posts deleted here to indicate I'm not politically correct :rolleyes:.

There are some cruises marketed with Free Gratuities now this is not always the case

Cruises not marketed as such will have the amount added to your shipboard account

Some people will get the PPG from their TA when booking as a perk

some will get PPG when they reach 10 + cruises (Silver )

I tried, with 6 other people explaining it, hopefully they'll get it.

I get enough posts deleted here to indicate I'm not politically correct :rolleyes:.

And here I thought it was just me.

Edited by ORV

• 2 weeks later...

If I book a cruise that is advertised as "Free Airfare" "2 for 1" or "Gratuities included" I will absolutely NOT

(1) insist on paying for airfare when it's already included

(2) insist on paying full fare for each of two cruisers when the price advertised is 2 for 1 and FINALLY

(3) I will absolutely NOT pay for gratuities beyond those included in the booking.

Why on earth would I pay additional tips, when I've been told that my tips have been included in the price I've paid for my trip? I understand that there are all sorts of permutations in booking for cruises, but PLEASE respect the fact that I'm not going to be guilt tripped into tipping up.

And that's all I have to say.

If I book a cruise that is advertised as "Free Airfare" "2 for 1" or "Gratuities included" I will absolutely NOT

(1) insist on paying for airfare when it's already included

(2) insist on paying full fare for each of two cruisers when the price advertised is 2 for 1 and FINALLY

(3) I will absolutely NOT pay for gratuities beyond those included in the booking.

Why on earth would I pay additional tips, when I've been told that my tips have been included in the price I've paid for my trip? I understand that there are all sorts of permutations in booking for cruises, but PLEASE respect the fact that I'm not going to be guilt tripped into tipping up.

And that's all I have to say.

Thanks for sharing