Boston hotels with shuttle to/from airport and cruise terminal

PH8

Thinking ahead about booking a cruise out of Boston for next October.After my initial sticker shock:eek::eek:,I am here to ask for your input.........

What hotels,if any,have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel,then to the cruise port the next day??

I realize prices are like NYC hotels and one pays for safety.

Thanks in advance!

There are only a couple of hotels that have shuttles to both the airport and the cruise port. And with those hotels, they aren't normally recommended.

What weekend are you looking to come in? October is foliage/college open house/Head of the Charles. It can be pretty busy.

There are only a couple of hotels that have shuttles to both the airport and the cruise port. And with those hotels, they aren't normally recommended.

What weekend are you looking to come in? October is foliage/college open house/Head of the Charles. It can be pretty busy.

The first weekend...the 2nd of Oct.

So those with shuttles are not decent?

I wouldn't say that. Just that there aren't that many and they tend not to be in main areas. Most people doing a cruise like to stay in the Seaport area, where a taxi won't be that much. The hotels that offer the cruise port shuttles tend to be in out of the way areas. If all you are looking for is a bed, they are ok, but if you are hoping to sight see, there are better options.

I wouldn't say that. Just that there aren't that many and they tend not to be in main areas. Most people doing a cruise like to stay in the Seaport area, where a taxi won't be that much. The hotels that offer the cruise port shuttles tend to be in out of the way areas. If all you are looking for is a bed, they are ok, but if you are hoping to sight see, there are better options.

Thanks..........I have NO idea about any of the Boston areas.....I think I would like to sight see,at least a little.....

Boston hotels don't run shuttles because they don't have to. Demand is usually very high, especially at that time of the year due to the large number of universities hosting homecomings and parent's weekends as well as leaf peepers, hence your sticker shock. Any hotel running a shuttle will be well outside of the sightseeing areas. My suggestion would be to find the most economical hotel within you budget (and do plan on penny-stretching) and build in cab fare. Don't wait too long as demand is very high that time of year.

• 2 weeks later...

A little late but if anyone else is wondering we stayed in Quincy at Daniel Webster Inn. They have an airport and a cruise shuttle but book early because the shuttles fill up fast. They also offer Park and Fly

KDG - Are you sure the hotel wasn't the Best Western Adams? The only Daniel Webster Inn I know of is in Sandwich, MA.

Speaking of the BW Adams, what do you think of it? We booked it as a possibility.

I've never stayed there but have gone by many times. Are you looking at this hotel because of the shuttle? Are you staying one night? There is really nothing around the hotel that would be of interest for a visitor. This hotel would not be my first choice. What else are you considering?

Still looking since we have almost a year.

We picked the BW for price really and the shuttle helps.......Ideally we would be downtown or near the cruise terminal,but as of now,they are really $$$$..

We leave this weekend on a RCCI repo cruise out of Boston. We book the Holiday Inn Express in Dorchester for the night before. They have a park and cruise package and offer a shuttle to the pier. We booked it in January and got it for $159 plus tax for the night. I was really happy with that. I understand there are a few chain restaurants around the area for meals upon arrival. They offer the continental breakfast the morning of the cruise.

One more thing. I am pretty sure they offer the shuttle from the airport as well. We are coming into Boston by Greyhound Bus since it is a repo cruise and we will be getting off the ship in Tampa. I still was able to get the park and cruise price.

It's tucked between a mall (Home Depot/Best Buy/Target) and the highway and train tracks, but there are mall type restaurants there (Applebees, Olive Garden). You're a short walk from the Andrew station on the MBTA and South Boston if you want some real food instead of mall food.

It's tucked between a mall (Home Depot/Best Buy/Target) and the highway and train tracks, but there are mall type restaurants there (Applebees, Olive Garden). You're a short walk from the Andrew station on the MBTA and South Boston if you want some real food instead of mall food.

Which hotel?

Speaking of the BW Adams, what do you think of it? We booked it as a possibility.

I stayed there last year. I had a car, so didn't use their shuttles. I would suggest pinning them down for schedules and reservations. The shuttle seemed to run on demand, or haphazardly. But it could have just been a bad weekend, or I just misinterpreted what I was witnessing.

The hotel was fine. The "included breakfast" consisted of a voucher for limited choices at the on-site restaurant. You could always order more stuff, just don't expect a full buffet. We enjoyed dinner there, as well. We spent a couple of extra dollars for the water view room. That may not be necessary if you're going on a cruise ;)

The Holiday Inn Express in Dorchester is in an industrial area of the city. The area also has safety issues. You should not walk around the area at night. This hotel is usually not recommended because there is nothing around there and the location.

I am pretty sure PH8 is talking about the Holiday Inn Express. From what I have found out about it, Olive Garden and Applebee's are supposed to be close by.

They are. There is a "Big Box" mall with those restaurants that is a 5 minute walk from hotel...

Kathy (PH8) and I are both "in the same boat"...neither of us has cruised out of Boston, nor are we familiar with the Boston area. Ask us about the Caribbean - eastern, western, southern - and we can overload you with personal observations.

Our questions regarding hotels may seem naive, but they're really based on no experience in the Boston area to fall back on. So she and I really appreciate your helpful posts...thanks!

If I were to seek out a perfect hotel, it would be in a safe area, provide dependable shuttle service from the airport and to the port, be within walking distance to food establishments and be at least reasonably priced.

My second choice would include hotels that are midway between the airport and cruise port so cab fare wouldn't be prohibitive.

(Third would be an airline that's dependable enough to fly in the day of our cruise, thus eliminating the need for a hotel. I simply don't trust airlines to get me there on time, so this option isn't an option at all.:()

The two areas that are safe and have plenty of restaurants are the Back Bay/Copley area and the Seaport. The hotels there are pricey but you can walk to many things and you are close to T stations. I don't think the hotels provide shuttle services but you really aren't that far from the port. If you can manage your luggage, you can take public transit from the airport to both of these areas and then the port. The Seaport area is closest to the port. Both are very nice areas.

Kathy (PH8) and I are both "in the same boat"...neither of us has cruised out of Boston, nor are we familiar with the Boston area. Ask us about the Caribbean - eastern, western, southern - and we can overload you with personal observations.

Our questions regarding hotels may seem naive, but they're really based on no experience in the Boston area to fall back on. So she and I really appreciate your helpful posts...thanks!

If I were to seek out a perfect hotel, it would be in a safe area, provide dependable shuttle service from the airport and to the port, be within walking distance to food establishments and be at least reasonably priced. No such hotel in Boston

My second choice would include hotels that are midway between the airport and cruise port so cab fare wouldn't be prohibitive. sorry for my smarta$$ answer but hotels midway between the airport and the Cruiseport would be in the middle of Boston Harbor if they existed. The only hotels that meet this criteria are at the Airpirt in East Boston (Hyatt, Hilton, or Embassy Suites) or in the Seaport District (Westin Convention Center, Renaissance, Seaport, or Residence Inn).

(Third would be an airline that's dependable enough to fly in the day of our cruise, thus eliminating the need for a hotel. I simply don't trust airlines to get me there on time, so this option isn't an option at all.:()

You have to look at the big picture. what is your budget? How many people? exact dates? sightseeing objectives? Can you manage your luggage to take the free Silver Line? You aren't going to get an all inclusive package with "free" shuttles. Boston just doesn't work that way. You have to figure out each piece that you need and put it all together yourself.

The big picture?? The two of us...Oct 1st....one night...would be nice to sight see,but may be time prohibitive,so not a concern.

We know nothing about the Silver Line and quite apparently about Boston,or else we wouldn't be asking for help.:rolleyes:

I think "big picture" is really budget. No hotels in Boston provide shuttle service. Your only alternatives are taxi or public transportation.

The two areas within walking distance to restaurants are the seaport and Back Bay/Copley. Seaport is closest to the airport/cruiseport. This would take care of your concern about prohibitive taxi fares. If you can manage your luggage, the Silver line is the least expensive way to the port. Depending on where you stay, you can also take public transit close to your hotel. Boston is expensive and this seems to be the sticking point of people coming for the first time. The best suggestion people have is to research hotels and book early.

Edited by WELDON

I don't know anyone that really is never concerned about budgets...seems a waste to spend $300 just for a place to lay your head.

And like I said, have no clue about the Silver Line.

Edited by PH8