Boston hotels with shuttle to/from airport and cruise terminal

PH8

I think "big picture" is really budget. No hotels in Boston provide shuttle service. Your only alternatives are taxi or public transportation.

The two areas within walking distance to restaurants are the seaport and Back Bay/Copley. Seaport is closest to the airport/cruiseport. This would take care of your concern about prohibitive taxi fares. If you can manage your luggage, the Silver line is the least expensive way to the port. Depending on where you stay, you can also take public transit close to your hotel. Boston is expensive and this seems to be the sticking point of people coming for the first time. The best suggestion people have is to research hotels and book early.

Budget and research are the two key words. Budget is going to determine where you can look for hotels. A tight budget Will likely limit you to a hotel in a more fringe area. Do some research to get a feeling for where the airport and cruiseport are. It's too early now to book a room - give it until 11 months out. Post back when you have a budget and have found some hotel possibilities.

The most budget place I would recommend in downtown Boston is the John Jeffries House, a B&B hotel in Beacon Hill close to the Charles/MGH Red Line T stop (http://www.mbta.com). You might be able to book a cancellable reservation there now - this hotel will sell out for sure for your date. Hotel deals will not appear until much later - Hotwire is often a good option.

Boston hotels have never been bargain priced for decades and on par with those of NYC, even in the "outskirts" away from the walkable downtown core. When we drive up from NY to "visit" our maternal grandpa in Brookline, MA not far from Watertown - we also look for a place with free or inexpensive hotel parking (and, free internet these days ... not in the 70's & 80's or even 90's, LOL)

Would $5 p/p shuttle ride from BOS to the hotel be reasonable or considered almost free ? I looked up the current rates for one of our choice - Holiday Inn Express (and, the Courtyard by Marriott, right next door over) on Boston Street, (South) Boston - just off I-93 & tucked behind a huge shopping mall might fit some of OP's requirement. With AAA and/or AARP discount, book now for next October & it's around $200 for 1 night, taxes & fees included - and, it has free hot breakfast, "buffet" style typical of these hotel's chains - clean & comfortable.

They also run a shuttle to the cruiseports for $5 also, I think ?? (call & check to confirm, ask about details as I'm sure reservations are needed) It's about 5 miles from Logan & 3 miles from downtown and the seaport/cruise pier - and, they also run the free shuttle to the nearest "T" subway/train station (not sure which "line" that is, as we typically drive up & park - and, eat Vietnamese in Chinatown, just a quick 5 to 10 minutes drive - easy on/off I-93 Freeway. Location-wise, it's a compromise and within our budget, and in terms of being safe - fine with us (we travel with our urban street-wise mindset all over)

If OP stay further "out" - hotel rates will be lowered - we've stayed in places north of Boston & closer to the airport but find it to be a PITA, even with weekend traffic and not worth the trouble. There used to be decent deals with some B&B's and independent "inns" out in Brookline & near/off Mass Avenue, some of which are "walking" distance to the "T" line - shop around as in research & check them on "Street Views" on Google Map or equivalent ... to get a feel for the surroundings.

Select one that's 100% refundable to lock in a rate, then, as suggested already - use Hotwire closer in to the sailing date, and with just 2 people - consider doing Priceline, factor in the costs of transportation to the hotel and to the cruiseport. On a NE/Canada cruise more than a few years ago, we stopped in Boston & actually walked to downtown from the pier on a nice, clear & sunny day - but took a taxi ride back after a nice "Pho" lunch.

Boston hotels have never been bargain priced for decades and on par with those of NYC, even in the "outskirts" away from the walkable downtown core. When we drive up from NY to "visit" our maternal grandpa in Brookline, MA not far from Watertown - we also look for a place with free or inexpensive hotel parking (and, free internet these days ... not in the 70's & 80's or even 90's, LOL)

Would $5 p/p shuttle ride from BOS to the hotel be reasonable or considered almost free ? I looked up the current rates for one of our choice - Holiday Inn Express (and, the Courtyard by Marriott, right next door over) on Boston Street, (South) Boston - just off I-93 & tucked behind a huge shopping mall might fit some of OP's requirement. With AAA and/or AARP discount, book now for next October & it's around $200 for 1 night, taxes & fees included - and, it has free hot breakfast, "buffet" style typical of these hotel's chains - clean & comfortable.

They also run a shuttle to the cruiseports for $5 also, I think ?? (call & check to confirm, ask about details as I'm sure reservations are needed) It's about 5 miles from Logan & 3 miles from downtown and the seaport/cruise pier - and, they also run the free shuttle to the nearest "T" subway/train station (not sure which "line" that is, as we typically drive up & park - and, eat Vietnamese in Chinatown, just a quick 5 to 10 minutes drive - easy on/off I-93 Freeway. Location-wise, it's a compromise and within our budget, and in terms of being safe - fine with us (we travel with our urban street-wise mindset all over)

If OP stay further "out" - hotel rates will be lowered - we've stayed in places north of Boston & closer to the airport but find it to be a PITA, even with weekend traffic and not worth the trouble. There used to be decent deals with some B&B's and independent "inns" out in Brookline & near/off Mass Avenue, some of which are "walking" distance to the "T" line - shop around as in research & check them on "Street Views" on Google Map or equivalent ... to get a feel for the surroundings.

Select one that's 100% refundable to lock in a rate, then, as suggested already - use Hotwire closer in to the sailing date, and with just 2 people - consider doing Priceline, factor in the costs of transportation to the hotel and to the cruiseport. On a NE/Canada cruise more than a few years ago, we stopped in Boston & actually walked to downtown from the pier on a nice, clear & sunny day - but took a taxi ride back after a nice "Pho" lunch.

MKing - Thanks for your informative reply. And thanks to others who've replied. It seems we have lots more research to do, then, before we make a final commitment....

Thanks for your info...without being condescending.

There is no problem with money for a Boston hotel, but I didn't want to spend $300-$400 for one night, only to find out the hotel wasn't very nice.

A shuttle either from the airport or to the ship would be nice because I've been gouged by taxi drivers in locations I'm unfamiliar with - a problem I never had with pre-arranged shuttles.

I guess Kathy and I will fly to Boston sometime next year for a weekend and check out some of the locations for ourselves.

There is no problem with money for a Boston hotel, but I didn't want to spend $300-$400 for one night, only to find out the hotel wasn't very nice.

A shuttle either from the airport or to the ship would be nice because I've been gouged by taxi drivers in locations I'm unfamiliar with - a problem I never had with pre-arranged shuttles.

I guess Kathy and I will fly to Boston sometime next year for a weekend and check out some of the locations for ourselves.

You should be fine if $300-400 is not a problem. Perhaps we could provide more specific suggestions if you could tell us a hotel chain that you know you like? The Back/bay Copley area sounds like a good target area to me. There are several nice hotels with indoor access to Copley Place and the Prudential shops as well as close to T stations. This could be very handy should you get rainy weather. I arrived at Back Bay Station in a Blizzard last winter and was very happy to have a reservation at the Sheraton, which was accessible via an indoor walk through Copley Place and the Prudential from across the street from the train station.

Given what you've said so far, you are NOT going to be happy at any hotel that offers a free shuttle from the airport. If you are worried about getting ripped off by a taxi driver (not a complaint on this forum for Boston), then you should book a car service so the price of your trip is agreed upon ahead of time.

You should be fine if $300-400 is not a problem. Perhaps we could provide more specific suggestions if you could tell us a hotel chain that you know you like? The Back/bay Copley area sounds like a good target area to me. There are several nice hotels with indoor access to Copley Place and the Prudential shops as well as close to T stations. This could be very handy should you get rainy weather. I arrived at Back Bay Station in a Blizzard last winter and was very happy to have a reservation at the Sheraton, which was accessible via an indoor walk through Copley Place and the Prudential from across the street from the train station.

Given what you've said so far, you are NOT going to be happy at any hotel that offers a free shuttle from the airport. If you are worried about getting ripped off by a taxi driver (not a complaint on this forum for Boston), then you should book a car service so the price of your trip is agreed upon ahead of time.

Thanks, 138East! You've given lots of good info...now all I have to do is research the names of the places you've mentioned so I can get a handle on where they are in relation to where we want to be...

Thanks, 138East! You've given lots of good info...now all I have to do is research the names of the places you've mentioned so I can get a handle on where they are in relation to where we want to be...

I'll leave all that up to you:p:p A weekend in Boston,huh??:D:D

I'll leave all that up to you:p:p A weekend in Boston,huh??:D:D

I didn't really answer your question about the Silver Line. Just got back from a cruise last night. The Silver Line is an articulated bus with only one step that goes between South Station and the airport and South Station and the cruise port with a free transfer point at the indoor World Trade Center stop to go from the airport to the cruise port. If you get on at the airport, the Silver Line is free. If you take it to South Station, you can do a free transfer to the Red Line and then on to the Orange or Green line if necessary.

If you take the Silver Line to South Station, it is possible to exit there and get a cab most places in downtown for a lot less money than it would cost from the airport.

http://Www.mbta.com

• 2 weeks later...
If I were to seek out a perfect hotel, it would be in a safe area, provide dependable shuttle service from the airport and to the port, be within walking distance to food establishments and be at least reasonably priced.

My second choice would include hotels that are midway between the airport and cruise port so cab fare wouldn't be prohibitive.

So the thing about Boston is, unless you're staying at a hotel in the suburbs or one of the airport hotels themselves, most hotels simply don't run shuttles. This is because the city is very small, geographically, and we're blessed to be VERY walkable and have a reliable, easy to use public transit system that goes most places visitors want to go. There's just no incentive for any hotels in common tourist areas to run shuttles out to the airport (paying tolls each time) and back, when the MBTA runs from downtown to the airport.

So honestly, if you're interested in sightseeing in the city and getting a proper Boston experience, I would consider using public transit. This will let you stay at hotels in any of the nicer/safer/touristy areas. The Silver Line busses will bring you from the airport to downtown and the major subway lines, and is free for incoming travelers. They also go all around the waterfront area, and drop off very near Black Falcon Pier.

Otherwise, if you definitely want a shuttle it will probably be a more suburban or isolated part of the metro area, because that's the only reason they would need to have a shuttle.

As for safety, Boston's a very safe city (remembering though it is a city) and even in the dangerous parts you're probably pretty alright as long as it's not super late at night and you aren't trying to buy drugs. I would advise you to avoid the Roxbury neighborhood and certain parts of Dorchester. Allston/Brighton areas are a little gritty because the students but by no means dangerous. Back Bay, downtown, South End, are all nice, as is Jamaica Plain (though further out.) There's also Cambridge and Somerville north of the river that are also on the T.

Thanks for all the info hhham.......gives us lots of food for thought..I guess while Cindy and I are on our next cruise(next month),we can try to figure something out..

Yes, Kathy, hhham provided quite a bit of info to digest. So, yes, we can make a more informed decision when we get together early next month...

We are going to be driving up from NJ. We want to stay somewhere reasonably priced, and would like to do some site seeing as I have never been to Boston.

You're sailing 10/23/16 which is a Sunday. That's the Head of the Charles Regatta weekend, so in town hotels are going to be expensive and booked up. Hotel parking can run $50-60/night.

What is your hotel budget? How many people and how many nights? Are you planning to park at the pier?

One strategy to keep costs down is to stay along route 128 between Newton/Waltham and Burlington in one of the nice suburban hotels that cater to business travelers and have lower weekend rates. Drive to Alewife T Station where you can easily park on a Sat and go in town for the day. From this area you would also have easy access to all the attractions in Lexington and Concord plus the late fall foliage. The Battle Road from Lexington to Concord is a lovely drive through the Minuteman Historical Park. Walden Pond is in Concord as well as the Concord Museum, Alcott House, etc etc. The pier would be a quick half hour drive on a Sunday morning. Parking is $20/day, which is a steal for long term in town Boston parking.

Unfortunately, the normal recommendations go out the window for Head of the Charles weekend. Even the Newton/Waltham hotels will be expensive. While it might sound like it doesn't make sense, you might be best staying out by 495, driving in to Newton and taking the T into Boston, then driving back to 495 for a decent rate.

You're sailing 10/23/16 which is a Sunday. That's the Head of the Charles Regatta weekend, so in town hotels are going to be expensive and booked up. Hotel parking can run $50-60/night.

What is your hotel budget? How many people and how many nights? Are you planning to park at the pier?

One strategy to keep costs down is to stay along route 128 between Newton/Waltham and Burlington in one of the nice suburban hotels that cater to business travelers and have lower weekend rates. Drive to Alewife T Station where you can easily park on a Sat and go in town for the day. From this area you would also have easy access to all the attractions in Lexington and Concord plus the late fall foliage. The Battle Road from Lexington to Concord is a lovely drive through the Minuteman Historical Park. Walden Pond is in Concord as well as the Concord Museum, Alcott House, etc etc. The pier would be a quick half hour drive on a Sunday morning. Parking is $20/day, which is a steal for long term in town Boston parking.

Carol we were looking to pay between 100-200 for a hotel. I like your idea to getting to town. Does the train run all day then? We probably won't be arriving until 12 or 1 or so to the area. (depending on traffic)

Carol we were looking to pay between 100-200 for a hotel. I like your idea to getting to town. Does the train run all day then? We probably won't be arriving until 12 or 1 or so to the area. (depending on traffic)

$100-200 is not going to get you a hotel in downtown Boston. Are you driving up Fri and staying 2 nights or driving up Sat and spending one night?

The "train" is the subway called the T in Boston. http://Www.mbta.com The Alewife T station is on the northwest side of Boston on route 2 at the intersection of Cambridge, Arlington, and Belmont. Trains run from approximately 5:30 am to 12:30 am. There is a giant parking garage ($7) that will have ample parking on a Sat. About a 20 min ride downtown with options for free T transfers to get to other areas.

If you're on a tight budget and can roll your luggage, the T is also an option for getting the port. $8/day to park at Alewife. $2.65/pp to ride the Red Line train to South Station where you transfer to the Silver Line SL2 to go to Black Falcon Terminal. This route is totally accessible except for the one step onto the bus. I use this route to go to the airport all the time (SL1 bus is the airport route) and have left my car at Alewife for a number of days.

It's a bit soon to book a hotel, but you can look around. Hotwire is an excellent source for the western hotels on weekends, but it's way too soon for those deals. If you feel you need to book a room, book something cancellable so you can change later.

Thank you guys. It is a little early, but I think we will end up going to stay somewhere in the suburbs. The other half said we will make a trip to site see another time.

If you stay in the western suburbs, you could still consider driving the Battle Road (route 2A) through the Minuteman National Historical Park to the North Bridge in Concord. The fall colors should be excellent when you are here.

Post back if you want hotel suggestions.

• 3 weeks later...
The big picture?? The two of us...Oct 1st....one night...would be nice to sight see,but may be time prohibitive,so not a concern.

We know nothing about the Silver Line and quite apparently about Boston,or else we wouldn't be asking for help.:rolleyes:

We stayed at the Best Western Adams Inn in Quincy the night before a cruise. The shuttle to the hotel was slow, but the traffic was terrible. The shuttle to the cruise terminal was packed - luggage next to the doors and up to the roof - but was a quick 10 minute ride. You have to specifically ask for the shuttle when you get there, or even better, call a week or two ahead to confirm. The breakfast was good. We also had dinner in the restaurant......great chowder and huge sandwiches (we could have split one). We knew we didn't want to explore, so that didn't figure into our decision.

Hope this helps! And hope to see you on another cruise!

Barb

• 1 month later...

We are flying to Finland Next August from Boston, for a visit and then a B2B

ending with a TA ending in Boston. We will be gone 31 days.

. Don't think there is a park and fly/cruise for that long.

. Parking looks very expensive at port or airport

. Car/limo is doable but expensive

. Think best would be 1 way car rental.

. August from Ct. to Airport.

. Sept return? Are there any car rental agencies near port- do they pick up

or use taxi to get to them?

All and any input / help would be appreciated. Thanks

We are flying to Finland Next August from Boston, for a visit and then a B2B

ending with a TA ending in Boston. We will be gone 31 days.

. Don't think there is a park and fly/cruise for that long.

. Parking looks very expensive at port or airport

. Car/limo is doable but expensive

. Think best would be 1 way car rental.

. August from Ct. to Airport.

. Sept return? Are there any car rental agencies near port- do they pick up

or use taxi to get to them?

All and any input / help would be appreciated. Thanks

Just look to return to the airport. Then take the Silver Line to the port.