A question about the alcohol policy

barbaragrace

The NCL policy is: Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: It's allowed, but you'll have to pay a corkage fee for all wine that is brought onboard. Fees are $15 for 750ml bottles, $20 for 1,000ml and $30 for 1,500ml. Boxed wine is not allowed.

My question is: Will the corkage fee apply if you want to drink wine in your

cabin?

Thank you

The NCL policy is: Bringing wine or Champagne onboard: It's allowed, but you'll have to pay a corkage fee for all wine that is brought onboard. Fees are $15 for 750ml bottles, $20 for 1,000ml and $30 for 1,500ml. Boxed wine is not allowed.

My question is: Will the corkage fee apply if you want to drink wine in your

cabin?

Thank you

You pay the corkage fee to bring the bottles on board. You are then free to consume the alcohol where ever you want. If you want to avoid the hassle, you can get an Adult Beverage Package which allows you to have as many drinks as you want throughout the cruise. Or pay by the glass (which is obviously what you are trying to avoid).

You pay the corkage fee to bring the bottles on board. You are then free to consume the alcohol where ever you want. If you want to avoid the hassle, you can get an Adult Beverage Package which allows you to have as many drinks as you want throughout the cruise. Or pay by the glass (which is obviously what you are trying to avoid).

I have the UBP and I still bring wine onboard because the selections in NCL's cellars leave something to be desired. I love German wines, and NCL rarely has more than one vintage. Fifteen bucks per bottle for the corkage fee is not too much to pay to have wine I enjoy.;)

How does paying the fee work? Do they flag me at security and make me go to a table to pay? Do I pay the person who checks me in? Can I charge it to my room?

After you go through the scanner to board the ship there is a table where you pay the fee and they put a sticker on each bottle. It will be charged to your onboard account.

We once had a wine package and ordered a $29 of wine at a specialty restaurant. The waiter brought it over and did all the fancy hand waving movements as he poured the "expensive" wine. I took a picture of the label (thought it was pretty) and googled it when I got home. It was a $4 bottle of wine!!

Maybe he was trying to change cheap wine into good wine with all the hand movements.

I have to laugh at the "corkage" fee...the wine I drink at home costs about $7....no way I'd pay $15 to bring it aboard!

So the logic is that your $7 wine plus corkage fee is still cheaper than buying that exact same wine on the ship. By the glass or by the bottle.

Edited by BirdTravels

So the logic is that your $7 wine plus corkage fee is still cheaper than buying that exact same wine on the ship. By the glass or by the bottle.

Exactly. Taking the example posted earlier, where a bottle of wine that costs $4 on shore is $29 onboard, some will buy it onshore, pay the corkage fee and therefore the wine will have cost them $19 by the time they drink it.

The alternative viewpoint seems to be "no way will I pay $15 to bring my $4 bottle of wine with me. Instead, I'll wait until I get onboard and pay $29 plus 18% tip for it".

Actually, I know that it isn't as simple as that (some will buy other wines, others will just refuse to pay the prices and go without etc), but it does demonstrate that there are no hard and fast rules and what works for some people doesn't work for others.