False Advertising?

TMS9539

I saw that Celebrity was offering a deal for a 5 day cruise on the Constellation for $399 for a guaranteed balcony. Great, we decided to book it but I didn't have time at that moment. When I went back to it tonight there was the price on the website - still $399. But when I clicked the link to actually book it the price suddenly changed to $709.

So I called. The person I spoke to said that that category had sold out. I asked why was it still advertised on the web site then, and we went back and forth a bit until I asked to speak to a manager. The manager gave me the same speech - the category had sold out. I continued to ask why they were still advertising it and he said well the website hasn't been updated yet. And he got very short and impatient with me.

Now, I completely understand that "you snooze you lose", and if I had gone to book it tonight and the price on the website said $709 I would have shrugged and said oh well, we missed it. But the price was STILL advertised as $399. I really felt they should have honored the advertised price. That's what other companies do. Stores don't change the price just when you get to the checkout line, and that's what I think Celebrity did.

I really enjoyed our previous cruise with Celebrity but this really gave me a negative impression. Needless to say, I didn't book the cruise.

Am I right about this or am I missing something?

All you are missing is the fine print. Modern businesses apparently do not feel they have to honor any published price if it is "in error".

I believe a search of these boards will turn up at least one report of an actual booking being cancelled due to a "pricing error". I have certainly heard of instances of airlines canceling sales because of "pricing errors". In one memorable case the airline initially refused to honor so many paid tickets that it made the news up our way.

What you saw was "starting from" price - airlines do that too, there are only specific number of seats available at that lowest price but it still isn't false advertising to keep running the promo when the cheapest seats have already sold out on a specific flight. As long as the price really was originally available, nothing wrong there.

Also, the price surely didn't change at checkout like in your comparison, but you knew the price already when you selected the exact product you wanted buy. Except that since the product you wanted was already sold out, you chose something else to your cart instead.

cabin pricing and availability is very dynamic, changing over time, by the minute.

I monitor my cruises several times a day, and note that cabins maybe there in AM, not there at 5 pm , and appear again at 9pm.

Unless you were able to confirm a booking, and have a reservation number, I see no issue here, they never confirmed a reservation so there is nothing to honor.

It's just like an airline, you see an ad in the paper saying $29 each way, then go to book and find out that $29 was only for the 5am flight, and by the time I went to book, it was no longer available s they had limited availability at that price. So I'm shown a new price and can decide to take it or not. at that time.

SOMETIMES, one can find a cheaper fare than advertised as well, the pendulum swings both ways,

Whilst I agree with the above posts all may not be lost! I know it is really frustrating, I think all of us have been there at some time!

However, some of the rooms at that price may have just been put on 24 hr hold and reappear after that time period so keep clicking and checking. I would love you to be able to come back on and say you had got lucky!

Whilst I agree with the above posts all may not be lost! I know it is really frustrating, I think all of us have been there at some time!

However, some of the rooms at that price may have just been put on 24 hr hold and reappear after that time period so keep clicking and checking. I would love you to be able to come back on and say you had got lucky!

That's exactly what happened! Was about to head off to bed and checked it again, and the price had dropped back to the $399. So I booked it. Yippee!

I was annoyed with Celebrity, but not so annoyed that I didn't take the deal. :-)

That's exactly what happened! Was about to head off to bed and checked it again, and the price had dropped back to the $399. So I booked it. Yippee!

I was annoyed with Celebrity, but not so annoyed that I didn't take the deal. :-)

Glad it all worked out for you. As many of us have said on here - the moral of the story is to "keep checking". Prices and availabilty change constantly.

Have a wonderful cruise !

Would be nice though that if a particular deal is no longer available, that it is removed from web site as the last cabin is committed to. With all the technology and dynamic pricing, I can't imagine that it is not possible.

I too have see this happen when checking, and I don't get upset, I just don't book if the new price is not to my liking.

Would be nice though that if a particular deal is no longer available, that it is removed from web site as the last cabin is committed to. With all the technology and dynamic pricing, I can't imagine that it is not possible.

Like the OP experienced, cabins go unavailable and available all the time. If X was going to update their website to reflect the current pricing, it would take considerable effort and it wouldn't be accurate for very long. Plus, the murphy's law of web hosting applies: if you change x, y will break.

I too have see this happen when checking, and I don't get upset, I just don't book if the new price is not to my liking.

The problem is that there is no real commitment until final payment. Cabins constantly disappear from inventory only to reappear a day or so later. Or weeks or months later. Many people, faced with a great sale, will put a hold on a cabin and THEN determine whether they can actually go.

Think about having some 1000 rooms. People start booking them 2 years ahead. While most do not change probably half do. Many people book and change several times. Others put cabins on a courtesy hold. If several cabins are put on hold the computer immediately raises the prices as availability has gone down. The pricing is sophisticated and has nothing to do with the website except the website is challenged in trying to constantly update.

Airlines do exactly the same thing. The goal is to fill every bed or seat and collect the maximum amount of dollars. The difference is Airlines make little money on giftshiops or spa treatments LOL. And there is a difference that with cruises you can go right up to final payment date in most countries and cancell without any cost to you. try doing that with a coach airline ticket.

This happens with airline reservations all the time. You always have to go ahead and try to book the fare to see if it is really available. I frequently when looking at airfares find the price changes radically when I get the payment screen...something to the effect of "We're sorry, the fare you looking at is no longer available. The new price is $xxx." And it's never a lower price. Sorry you missed out on your good deal.

We are talking about Celebrity's web site, are we not?:eek:

Like the OP experienced, cabins go unavailable and available all the time. If X was going to update their website to reflect the current pricing, it would take considerable effort and it wouldn't be accurate for very long. Plus, the murphy's law of web hosting applies: if you change x, y will break.

Is the suggestion then that because it requires effort, companies need never alter web advertised prices to reflect current reality?

I had similar experience few years ago and was explained that front page, where you see lower price doesn't get updated often enough, so the categories with that price are sold out - the price will change. It will " hang" there till IT change it. I couldn't get anywhere with similar logic - you have on your website - you have to honor...:(

I couldn't get anywhere with similar logic - you have on your website - you have to honor...:(

Nope, there is absolutely nothing to honor. The deals shown on website, for example here are clearly marked like this (emphasis mine):

Inside staterooms
from
$699*†

Ocean view staterooms
from
$799*†

..and even at the end of the page is states that:

"Offers and prices are
subject to availability
and
change without notice
, capacity controlled...."

It really, really can't get clearer than that.

One thing I have found that can affect pricing like this, is sometimes the lowest priced stateroom advertised is a Handicap Accessible one, so if you don't use advanced search and tick the box for HC accessible cabins (and qualify for them), you won't get shown it, as there is no cabin that suits your search.

Also as a solo traveler, sometimes they won't sell a category with only 1 person, so they won't appear unless I search for 2 people.

Nope, there is absolutely nothing to honor. The deals shown on website, for example here are clearly marked like this (emphasis mine):

Inside staterooms
from
$699*†

Ocean view staterooms
from
$799*†

..and even at the end of the page is states that:

"Offers and prices are
subject to availability
and
change without notice
, capacity controlled...."

It really, really can't get clearer than that.

I clicked on a link in an email and the page I was taken to did not say "from". The price listed was $399 and the disclaimer about prices changing did not show up until you clicked the button to book the cruise.

I ended up getting the deal anyway, and if I hadn't another one would have come along. But I still think it's a shady way of doing things. Apparently it's legal though.