terrorism in turkey

concerned55

We are sailing from Istanbul in two weeks time on Voyager

We have three days there are two long excursions booked, the way it has kicked off lately I would imagine that Regent have the situation under review.

We're on the same cruise as you and also have two full day excursions (Jerusalem and Masada) booked. Have to see how that will play out. The recent unrest has been focused on Jerusalem so there are two possible fallbacks: dock at Haifa, but cancel the Jerusalem trips, or cancel Haifa. The latter would, of course, be disappointing and would present a large challenge for where to go for three days.

BTW, there is an active roll call thread for this cruise at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2031946

When we docked in Haifa last month, some crew members went on a Regent excursion to Jerusalem. Unlike Istanbul where things felt "normal", a few crew members that we spoke with felt uncomfortable in certain areas where there was protesting (near the Western Wall). As stated above, going to Haifa but not Jerusalem could be difficult for Regent - especially given the challenges they already have to encourage customers to book Middle East itineraries. As Mr. Rumor indicated in our joint blog, at least 2/3 of the passengers on our cruise booked excursions going to Jerusalem. IMO, if passengers cannot go to Jerusalem, they may decide to skip Israel.

Charleyben - thank you for the information about Celebrity. It does seem that they are the first to cancel itineraries. As I recall, they cancelled Istanbul for the rest of this year.

Based on what we saw last month, the "iffy" ports are definitely Port Said and Alexandria. While passengers that went into Cairo from Port Said are glad that they had the opportunity to see the Pyramids, etc., the garbage, begging and forceful sales people put a damper on the experience. In Alexandria, it was unsettling to see men in the back of trucks with machine guns and a military tank on a side street. For those of you on the Istanbul to Dubai Voyager cruise -- really hope that things settle down in the countries you will be visiting.

IMO, if passengers cannot go to Jerusalem, they may decide to skip Israel.

and do what for three days?

There are other things to do in Israel besides Jerusalem. We'd be disappointed if they cancel Jerusalem. We'd be extremely disappointed if they skip Israel entirely. No other good options on short notice since port calls are usually booked months, if not years, in advance.

Already have plenty of days at sea on this cruise...don't need more.

BTW, the latest State Department message concerning the situation in Jerusalem (15 October) only specifically warned of staying away from the Old City today (17 October) due to a planned demonstration. Of concern, yes. Panic, no.

Edited by Portolan

and do what for three days?

There are other things to do in Israel besides Jerusalem. We'd be disappointed if they cancel Jerusalem. We'd be extremely disappointed if they skip Israel entirely. No other good options on short notice since port calls are usually booked months, if not years, in advance.

Already have plenty of days at sea on this cruise...don't need more.

BTW, the latest State Department message concerning the situation in Jerusalem (15 October) only specifically warned of staying away from the Old City today (17 October) due to a planned demonstration. Of concern, yes. Panic, no.

I am thinking more about future cruises than your cruise. My point was that people may hesitate to book cruises if they can't go to Jerusalem. I'm conflicted as to whether it is better to skip Egypt and Israel itineraries for a while or continue with the day to day questions as to whether or not passengers can visit the different areas. Everyone has different tolerance and fear levels. While I would not take an excursion to Jerusalem or Cairo right now, we had no problem taking an excursion to a kibbutz that was 2 miles from Syria.

I agree with you, Scott. I can cope with no Jerusalem tours but will be very disappointed to not having the three days in Israel. While visiting Jerusalem is very rewarding there still is much to be seen in other parts of the country. In addition I am sure there are sites in Jerusalem that are quite safe. It is just the Old City that maybe risky which is a shame.

I have been going to Israel for decades.

The tourist area are safe and well protected. If there is any likelihood of any problem the Israelis themselves would close down that tourist site. I do not remember of if there has ever been an attack in a tourist area. The Palestinians are not stupid. The last thing they want is bad press. Any place that a tour bus takes you will be safe, including Jerusalem.

j

I have been going to Israel for decades.

The tourist area are safe and well protected. If there is any likelihood of any problem the Israelis themselves would close down that tourist site. I do not remember of if there has ever been an attack in a tourist area. The Palestinians are not stupid. The last thing they want is bad press. Any place that a tour bus takes you will be safe, including Jerusalem.

j

I agree in general. My concerns arose when the crew returned from the Western Wall where there were demonstrations going on. They did not feel safe. On the other hand, Israel has the best security that we have seen and we have no concerns about other parts of Israel.

We were at the western wall the same day as the crew, and we didn't see any demonstrations or feel ill at ease at all. George wandered off by himself for a while (as he is prone to do, much to the dismay of some of our guides) and talked to locals. No problem. I am pretty sure they are not targeting tourists, but I think a lot of people will be scared away from what is a wonderful experience, which is ashamed.

Just sailed out of Istanbul with Regent in September and we felt perfectly safe. You can register with the embassy before you leave so if something were to happen they have your travel plans and can assist. The news that you read is a little sensational and Ankara is far removed from Istanbul. I wouldn't worry at all.