Family and Fun

dxetaz09

So we are cruising in about 30 days and I have wanted to know for the families that travel with kids. How do you do balance a vacation for yourself as well as make memories with your kids. I am traveling with my little sister who is 10 and I'm 29. However I want to make this very special for her, but I want to let loose a little bit. Would the night owls be a great option?

It's too late for our family, but maybe she could handle it for a couple of nights. Definitely let her do the kids programs throughout the day.

Also, give her a set amount of money on her card. That way she can get a milkshake, candy, or even buy stuff from the arcade or gift stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What cruise line is it? Take a look at what kids activities there are and which ones she'll want to do. You may find that there are things she'll want to do by her self. You'll still have time to spend as a family.

We will be on Carnival Pride and I have seen a little bit of what they offer and I know she will want to spend a lot of time at the camp, but I want to make sure I spend time with her.

Just remember that it is her vacation as well as yours, and even if she makes great friends and wants to spend lots of time with them and in camp, she will remember that you are the one that took her on that great vacation! Maybe you could make sure you eat dinner together each night. EM

Set up a small schedule. Try to do several activities together throughout the day. There will be plenty of time for both of you to do your own thing and still hang out as a family.

i have read that you should get walkie talkies to keep in contact too. Wow you are such a great big brother. i am sure you'll both have lots of fun.

Our kids are 17 and 11 and have been cruising since the youngest was 2. We love cruising because it is the perfect balance of family and alone/couple time. Now the teen as you can imagine, sleeps in, but the younger one joins us for a leisurely breakfast in the MDR. On port days, all 4 of us spend the day together ashore but on sea days he then goes off to camp until Lunch. So, from 9-12 we have adult time. Camp closes for an hour at lunch and we grab lunch and depending on the afternoon schedule, he may go back to camp or we may swim, play putt-putt, etc. Everyone is back to the cabin by 5 for rest and showers before dinner at 6. After dinner, he heads to camp from 7-10. Again, 3 hours of adult time.

He is now old enough to sign in/out, so when he is done with dinner he just takes himself; when he was younger, the wait staff automatically brought his food as soon as it was ready and at 7, one of us would take him to camp while the other ordered coffee and dessert. The teen comes and goes but is required to be at dinner and we pass him often on the ship.

So, we end up with at least 6 hours a day to ourselves without blinking an eye. We like to be on our balcony by 10, and he checks in when he gets back. He is old enough now that if we want to go out, we just leave him in his room and I'm pretty confident we did that when he was 9. So, night owls is an option if she likes to stay up late, or if she is ready for downtime and you want to go out later, you could just tuck her in and off you go.

Hope that helps.