Celebrity's poor customer service

SWFLCruzer

I reached out to Celebrity 3 weeks ago regarding an issue with cruise fares and it took them more than 3 weeks to respond and then in a totally unsatisfactory manner.

The back story: 6 couples are traveling together in staterooms of the same class on Celebrity Constellation Nov 19, 2015. Almost all are 1st time cruisers using one couple’s wedding anniversary as an excuse for trying a short cruise to see whether it was a vacation venue we’d all like to experience again. Reservations were made well in advance by speaking with Celebrity reps via telephone. No one from Celebrity mentioned the “Best Price Guarantee” or told any of the couples that we could check back for lower fares. All but 1 couple paid by calling Celebrity. Of the 5 that spoke with a rep, 1 couple simply mentioned the rate seemed high. Their rep VOLUNTARILY responded, “today is your lucky day” and proceeded to give them a rate $200 lower per person. No one else was offered a lower rate. No one else knew what to say or what to ask. The internet payer was doomed from the get-go!

When several of us called back 2 DAYS after the payment due date to request the lower rate, Celebrity provided conflicting information and passed us on to other departments. When I finally reached a person who took some ownership for logging the complaint I was told it needed to be escalated to the executive department and I would hear back in 3 business days. 3 business days turned into more than 3 weeks even given repeated phone calls to determine the response. When the response finally came, Celebrity REFUSED to do anything to make this trip equitable for the 6 couples traveling together or even recognize that their lack of consistent communication created problems. They kept referring to ineligibility for an upgrade due to the promotional option we had each selected with our reservations. How difficult would it be to issue ship board credit? Or offer a dining experience upgrade for the group?

I work in the hospitality industry and if we treated our complaining guests like this we’d soon be out of business.

What should have been a happy, friend-filled celebration of a wedding anniversary has been clouded by a less than hospitable experience with the cruise company. Needless to say Celebrity will not be getting business from us again.

Obvious first time cruisers mistakes. Just a suggestion, but in future, you should all do your own research on how and why the rates change and all the ramifications of this by coming here well in advance of a cruise booking. It will pay big dividends:)

The rep didn't just dream up a cheaper rate. Rates change from day to day, even from minute to minute (I've seen the numbers change before my very eyes while on the phone with an agent at RCCL) with restrictions changing as well. So they cannot just offer the entire group the same rate when others may have booked at different times with different restrictions. I would try calling and asking for the Resolutions Office but there are no guarantees. That is why most people use a Travel Agent, someone who is entirely familiar with all the rules and has your best interests in mind.

Edited by BecciBoo

I reached out to Celebrity 3 weeks ago regarding an issue with cruise fares and it took them more than 3 weeks to respond and then in a totally unsatisfactory manner.

The back story: 6 couples are traveling together in staterooms of the same class on Celebrity Constellation Nov 19, 2015. Almost all are 1st time cruisers using one couple’s wedding anniversary as an excuse for trying a short cruise to see whether it was a vacation venue we’d all like to experience again. Reservations were made well in advance by speaking with Celebrity reps via telephone. No one from Celebrity mentioned the “Best Price Guarantee” or told any of the couples that we could check back for lower fares. All but 1 couple paid by calling Celebrity. Of the 5 that spoke with a rep, 1 couple simply mentioned the rate seemed high. Their rep VOLUNTARILY responded, “today is your lucky day” and proceeded to give them a rate $200 lower per person. No one else was offered a lower rate. No one else knew what to say or what to ask. The internet payer was doomed from the get-go!

When several of us called back 2 DAYS after the payment due date to request the lower rate, Celebrity provided conflicting information and passed us on to other departments. When I finally reached a person who took some ownership for logging the complaint I was told it needed to be escalated to the executive department and I would hear back in 3 business days. 3 business days turned into more than 3 weeks even given repeated phone calls to determine the response. When the response finally came, Celebrity REFUSED to do anything to make this trip equitable for the 6 couples traveling together or even recognize that their lack of consistent communication created problems. They kept referring to ineligibility for an upgrade due to the promotional option we had each selected with our reservations. How difficult would it be to issue ship board credit? Or offer a dining experience upgrade for the group?

I work in the hospitality industry and if we treated our complaining guests like this we’d soon be out of business.

What should have been a happy, friend-filled celebration of a wedding anniversary has been clouded by a less than hospitable experience with the cruise company. Needless to say Celebrity will not be getting business from us again.

So anyone who complains about something should be given something? If you're in the hospitality business you should know how to do your research before you book. Given the facts you presented, they don't owe you anything.

Sorry I didn't start with saying we contacted them MORE than 3 weeks ago. It actually was Sept 22.

I simply want others to take away 2 things....Always ASK and Celebrity is not customer service focused.

When the inconsistency in treatment was reported to Celebrity, their response was less than customer-focused and the inconsistencies as you got passed from person to person were apalling.

Being air travelers, we're programmed that closer to travel equals more expensive, no such thing as low fare guarantees on virtually all airlines. I would not even have thought to do research on fares. And BTW I did happen to use this site before booking to do research.

Edited by SWFLCruzer

Given the O P says Celebrity won't be getting any of their future business there isn't a Business Case to be made for Celebrity to negotiate.

Good customer service isn't always saying "Yes".

It would have been interesting to learn Celebrities position on this occurrence,

Edited by WpgCruise

Sorry I didn't start with saying we contacted them MORE than 3 weeks ago. It actually was Sept 22.

I simply want others to take away 2 things....Always ASK and Celebrity is not customer service focused.

When the inconsistency in treatment was reported to Celebrity, their response was less than customer-focused and the inconsistencies as you got passed from person to person were apalling.

Being air travelers, we're programmed that closer to travel equals more expensive, no such thing as low fare guarantees on virtually all airlines. I would not even have thought to do research on fares. And BTW I did happen to use this site before booking to do research.

I never hurts to ask, but as you pointed out in your other thread, final payment was on Sep 20 and you called for a lower rate on Sep 22. The rules suck but there's nothing we can do. They just won't adjust your rate after final due date.

Celebrity's "problem" is that they can sell every cabin that dissatisfied cruisers surrender. As long as their ships sail at near capacity or are sold out, their perspective is that if you are not in that cabin, another willing cruiser will be.

The importance of following cruise critic posters, complaints and praises, is that you have to learn how the game is played.

I've been burned before by their sales pattern and now hold off for seasonal sales.

High traffic months requires one to book early but sales do occur.

You have just passed cruising 101' the school of hard knocks.;)

Edited by Arno.

Quoting from our posting guidelines:

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted...don't say bad things about them... If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Appears your cruise price is dropping. Call Celebrity ask for an upgrade and what your options might be. If there are higher category cabins available at more than you paid there is the opportunity to pay the difference and upgrade, say veranda to concierge or aqua class, ocean view to veranda.

First: you will have a happy, fun filled, friend-filled celebration of a wedding anniversary on your cruise; don't let your experience ruin that.

Second: there are better ( more expensive) cruise lines and less expensive cruise lines not as nice as Celebrity, and we have been on both. You are free to give them your business. We like Celebrity.

Third: I realize you are new to cruise critic, but if you read the posts on all the other cruise lines you will find your issues are not unique.

We always deal with a travel agent which might have been helpful to get the best rate and resolve any issues. But it is rare (although not unheard of) to get a reduction after final payment is made.

Whatever. Enjoy your cruise, try other cruise line, and I bet (if you like cruising) you will be back to Celebrity.

I've never had a hotel call me and say our rates went down, here's a better rate.

I have booked an advance purchase, paid in advance, no changes or modifications allowed room in a hotel, to find that 2 weeks later they were selling a suite for less than I prepaid for a standard room, and was unable to get anywhere (W hotel Leicester Square). I even offered to pay more, but was stuck with the room I contracted.

Nor an airline. I've booked airfares in advance and gotten close to flying and found better fares, but the contract I agreed to wouldn't let me change without a large fee.

Novice travelers need to learn to watch all their travel options carefully, it's not up to a business to contact consumers and say we lowered our rates please call us and take away our revenue.

I check cabins fares daily, and hotel rates often, even trying AAA rates and such knowing that the rates open and close all the time, go up and down daily, or booking 4 1 night stays for a 4 night stay to get better fares. It's a game, the hospitality industry (former Marriott hotel manager here...). Rental cars.... Only thing not worth watching are airfares due to the cancellation clause.

And with anything past final payments, that's the reason for final pay, to keep people from changing as they open up bargain basement fares, often without the perks. Final pay dates are a line in the sand, not a negotiable date. The low fare guarantee only applies PRE-final payment (and is unique to North American bookers, UK and Europe do not get the privilege for example), and after final payment there is a policy allowing for a 24 hour window to get a fare drop honored only on new bookings made and confirmed after final pay.

SO this means that the Guarantee OP mentioned, was the one they have to honor, and it expired on final payment date. That someone was able to get an adjustment after final pay was a nice gesture, and that was the hospitality. But they don't have to do the same for everyone just because they did a nice thing for 1 person. Hotels often upgrade people to suites as a nice gesture, but clearly can't upgrade every guest just because they did one.

OP should be HAPPY they got a price adjustment which may not have been proper, not upset the others didn't.

Take that savings and buy the group dinner one night.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Unfortunately you're going to have to chalk it up to a learning experience. Just like airfares, cruise rates change all of the time. If after making your reservation, you want to ensure you get any price reductions that may occur, you have to be proactively diligent in rechecking pricing and then asking for the reduced rate. I personally prefer to use a travel agent. This way they act on my behalf with the cruise line and are usually able to give me a better overall deal in the way of additional onboard credit, prepaid gratuities or a free shore excursion. You do have a legitimate complaint in the length of time it took Celebrity to address the issue you raised. Three weeks is ridiculous. It should have been handle within a day or two. I can understand you not wanting to deal with Celebrity again in the future, but please understand you would have had the same ultimate result with almost all the other cruise lines as well....but again I understand that Celebrity is the one you experienced it with. One thing I hope you're able to do is but this behind you with a lesson learned for future experience and go have a great vacation with your friends.

Happy Cruising.

The worst element of cruising is what I call "sloppy pricing."

When the price of a commodity or a service appears to be negotiable, both by overly complex "deals" and moving target time parameters, the seller of that commodity or service had better have clear guidelines, especially for the consumer, or the seller will be in a world of hurt.

Then when "deals" are created for regions so that if customer #1 in Florida gets a better price than customer #2 in Chicago solely because of his zip code, the seller can count on not only unhappy Chicago customers but also customers who will work the system. Finally when goodies are added in the form of OBC's and/or beverage cards, etc., and/or pre and post cruise add-ons, it's real easy to see how the customer service people can be totally incompetent to handle a booking.

SWFLCruzer's situation is a perfect example of what happens with "sloppy pricing." Misunderstandings galore occur followed by resentment and a total loss of a feeling of fair dealing by everyone.

Two solutions.

First, return the good old days of yesteryear with standard pricing. That ain't gonna happen because the consumer has been trained to look for virtually every kind of pricing gimmick when buying big ticket items like cruises. Unless every cruise line in the business changes to a standard pricing model at the same time, sloppy pricing will prevail.

Second, use a professional who lives and breathes the ridiculously complex world of cruise pricing to do the work, both in getting the best cruise accommodations and the itineraries the consumer wants. They call them travel agents. Yes, I know I may miss out on a free dinner in the Super Duper private dining restaurant, but that's OK with me when I'm comfortable with the entire package.

I completely understand SWFLCruzer's emotion, especially when Celebrity's customer service folks take inconsistent, yet rigid positions without fully evaluating the situation.

I'm sorry this experience happened with you. I would be frustrated if it were me as well.

The truth is that this likely would have happened with any cruise you booked - as others have pointed out. I really do think that overall Celebrity has better service than most companies in the travel industry. As someone pointed out, I think this is less that 5 couples got screwed, but 1 couple got an unexpected bonus. Think about it - if that 1 person hadn't proactively offered you a lower rate, you'd all be happy at the rate you booked the cruise at. That customer service agent was going above and beyond his or her job description. It would have been much easier (and less work) for them to not tell you of the lower rate and, thus, not have to go through whatever they needed to redo your rate.

I'd try to go into it thinking "hey - we got $200 we weren't expecting" and have that person buy a round of drinks the first night. Then keep an open mind. You may really like cruising and celebrity. If you don't, that's fine - but I don't think it's fair to Celebrity or to any of you - to let it ruin an experience because of something that probably every other cruise company would have handled the same way.

......Of the 5 that spoke with a rep, 1 couple simply mentioned the rate seemed high. Their rep VOLUNTARILY responded, “today is your lucky day” and proceeded to give them a rate $200 lower per person. No one else was offered a lower rate.

As someone who has booked cruises with a number of different cruise lines through the years, I can only say that this is typical.

The agent only looks at the booking the caller is specifically asking about.

The price they give one caller at a particular time will not necessarily apply to another passenger who calls later.

It may have been the caller's "lucky day" for any of a number of different reasons, such as a temporary price drop, or that a special category price for which the caller qualified was being offered at the time.

As previous poster BecciBoo stated, rates change all the time, so even if the call had taken place a day (or even an hour) earlier or later, the discount may not have been available.

As for saying "The internet payer was doomed from the get-go!"

that is not true because we, and many others, have booked cruises over the internet and then at a later time quickly and easily obtained future price drops for which we were eligible.

It is human nature to proclaim angrily that you will never do business with a company again if they don't agree to give you what you want. ;)

But realistically I would suggest waiting until after you have completed the cruise before deciding whether or not you will give Celebrity your business again.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

When you are inside final payment you can ask all you want, your not going to get a better rate.

True, Celebrity does not give price drops after the final payment date on cabins that are already booked.

But they do allow you to upgrade by paying the difference in cost if you see a reduced rate for a higher level cabin or suite, as long as the price is at least $1 more than you already paid.

So it can be worthwhile to keep checking.

Edited by varoo

If you were happy with the price, and didn't know someone else in your group got a better rate, would you be happy now? I'm guessing you would, otherwise you would not have booked in the first place.

As hard as it may be, forget what deal someone else got, and go have a great time with an open mind. If you worried about what someone else paid for the car next to you, or the plane seat next to you, you'd drive yourself nuts.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

you got what you selected and its bad service that they sold to someone else at a lower price? What hospitality industry do you work in, every person on a plan has a good chance they paid a different price then the person they are sitting next too. Go to a hotel, there are lots of different price points, and they change daily, sometimes up sometimes down, make a reservation you will pay less then if you just walk in and ask for a room.

I am doubt any hotel is going to say we will match the price someone else got just because you heard about it.

We feel some sympathy for the OP, but it is very controlled sympathy :). Booking a cruise is not much different then buying a Used or New Car, purchasing air tickets, etc. Prices and promotions are always changing and that is the nature of the beast and the world. If you buy an American Airlines ticket today, and the price drops by 30% next week...there is nothing you can do unless you paid the big bucks for a ticket that can be cancelled. Cruise lines are actually better then most industries in that they will often allow folks to change their fares prior to final payment.

I should add that yesterday we booked a last minute 10 day cruise on Princess (the cruise leaves next week) and our price is unbelievable. It is probably the lowest cost per passenger/day of any cruise we have booked over the past forty years...and we have booked over 100 cruises. So most of the folks on our cruise will have paid 2,3 or 4 times what we paid. But that is because we were able to wait until the last minute and were fine playing that game. And another benefit is we needed a one way air fare from FLL to BWI and Southwest (yesterday) was offering a $69 fare for our day and time! Again, this is because it is last minute and it seems like all the stars aligned in our favor. So should those who booked this cruise a year ago at much higher prices be angry? There are many times when we wanted to book a last minute cruise and could not find a good deal. So it is all part of the game and if one does not want to play they simply should stay home.

Hank

I should add that yesterday we booked a last minute 10 day cruise on Princess (the cruise leaves next week) and our price is unbelievable. It is probably the lowest cost per passenger/day of any cruise we have booked over the past forty years...and we have booked over 100 cruises. So most of the folks on our cruise will have paid 2,3 or 4 times what we paid. But that is because we were able to wait until the last minute and were fine playing that game. And another benefit is we needed a one way air fare from FLL to BWI and Southwest (yesterday) was offering a $69 fare for our day and time! Again, this is because it is last minute and it seems like all the stars aligned in our favor. So should those who booked this cruise a year ago at much higher prices be angry? There are many times when we wanted to book a last minute cruise and could not find a good deal. So it is all part of the game and if one does not want to play they simply should stay home.

Hank

Congrats Hank on that last minute deal, exciting and only 2 weeks away. My best last minute was $999 balcony for 14 nights doing the Panama Canal Miami to L.A. Great Deals can certainly be had for last minute cruises.

I 'have always had Excellent Customer Service with Celebrity and RCCL. They are following the rules and they can't make up new ones for you.

I know what you're saying, especially about the inconsistencies in their customer service. Appalling is being kind. Unfortunately, at this point, where it went up the line and they said no, you're stuck. But like someone else mentioned, you could call or check to see if a higher category of cabin is available for an upgrade. It will have to cost at least $1 more than what you paid. Worth checking out.