Reason to cancel a cruise.

CarnieAddict

Friends with a person that works with my wife said they cancelled there cruise on the Vista and got there money back because they said they were scared of what is going on in Europe. Do you think there is any truth to this story?

They definitely would be able to cancel & get all their money back as long as they didn't book Early Saver.

Friends with a person that works with my wife said they cancelled there cruise on the Vista and got there money back because they said they were scared of what is going on in Europe. Do you think there is any truth to this story?

How would anyone on CC know if the friends of your wife were "scared of going to Europe" and got their money back? I'd suggest talking to them...

Sounds very strange?? IF folks are before final payment they can cancel and they don't have to give a reason.

I wouldn't cruise in Europe anyway as I think the cities there are much too rich in culture for one night visits!

IF I was going to cruise there then I cannot imagine canceling because there are refugees in some areas.

That seems really strange to me!:confused:

Depending on how far in advance their cruise was, I'm sure they could have canceled with no penalty.

Some people are ultra-paranoid about bad things happening. The likelihood of something bad happening to you while on a cruise to Europe is extremely low. You're more likely to get injured crossing the street or driving to the grocery store. Now, I'm not saying to go out and take extreme chances, but as long as you're aware of your surroundings and are mindful of what's going on around you, you'll most likely be fine (and that's true of most places).

My mom is extremely disaster-minded. For any situation that I'm in, she can come up with some horrible scenario playing through her brain. I keep telling her that if I didn't do something simply because something bad COULD happen, I'd spend my entire life hiding under the bed, since bad things can happen at any time. People have to get out in the world, get out of their comfort zone, and actually live.

It's like when the Ebola outbreak was going on. People in the U.S. were so paranoid that they were going to catch Ebola that it was laughable. I was like, "Are you around people with projectile vomiting, explosive diarrhea, and bleeding from orifices? No? Then stop panicking!"

It may be true. Phobias influence decisions by a lot of people.

OTOH, I know people who cancel for other reasons and mask those reasons by telling everyone something else.

Example: In this case it may be that the couple involved simply couldn't really afford to take the trip to Europe. News items gave them a convenient "out".

What was their cruise date?

If it's outside the cancelation date you don't have to give a reason. I guess I don't understand your question.

He wants an answer to the possibility of it being true, but without the date of sailing data we can't guess. I doubt the story to be true if it was near sailing unless they had cancel for any reason insurance.

He wants an answer to the possibility of it being true, but without the date of sailing data we can't guess. I doubt the story to be true if it was near sailing unless they had cancel for any reason insurance.

The cruise was on Vista, so they can cancel with no penalty as the inaugural cruise is not in final payment yet.

We booked the Vista B2B from Athens to NY back in January. The plan at that time was to fly into London, then take the trains across through Paris, the Alps, down into Italy and then take the ferry across to Greece. We've traveled by train in Europe and never had a problem before.

Lately the news coming out of Europe has not been very positive, especially when it comes to rail travel. We may need to rethink the plan, I hate to fly because the trains are just as fast, but it may be necessary. At the same time, I don't think we will cancel, it's just too good a trip to pass up. The one port in Turkey may become iffy but we have plenty of time to sort that out.

May 1 2016. I was just questioning getting a full refund on your money.

For US and CAD passengers, deposits are fully refundable up until final payment date with the following exception:

Early Saver Fare. This fare offers a low price with the caveat that, if you cancel, Carnival keeps your deposit of which all but $50. is applicable to another cruise. The $50. is a service charge for cancelling and is gone forever.

I believe you have 2 years to use the balance of the deposit on another cruise.

Non-US or CAD passengers have different rules for refunds.