Royal Caribbean---DONT BUY EARLY

Wefly9s

I like booking maximum of 40 days before cruise...usually within a couple weeks...only because my mother has stage 4 breast cancer and things change fast so we book when we have time. Some people also can afford to have the money all at once so thats prob why they have to plan so far ahead...Oh...I price check after finally payment...only to see if I am able to upgrade hehe. only 35 more days till oasis!

Silly question. How do you know when the itineraries are first released for booking? I see that most RCCL cruises are out through May 2017ish, so is there a specific date when the rest of the itineraries for that year are released? We normally book at least one year out and try to book while onboard, but I'd book even further out for a good deal :)

Silly question. How do you know when the itineraries are first released for booking? I see that most RCCL cruises are out through May 2017ish, so is there a specific date when the rest of the itineraries for that year are released? We normally book at least one year out and try to book while onboard, but I'd book even further out for a good deal :)

Royal releases most new itineraries every March/April. If you keep reading this forum, there will be posts here that announce newly released itineraries.

I like booking maximum of 40 days before cruise...usually within a couple weeks...only because my mother has stage 4 breast cancer and things change fast so we book when we have time. Some people also can afford to have the money all at once so thats prob why they have to plan so far ahead...Oh...I price check after finally payment...only to see if I am able to upgrade hehe. only 35 more days till oasis!

If you had booked 18-24 months ago, you likely would have paid half or less than what is coming out of your pocket now.

The bottom line is that booking within a few weeks of the cruise schedule announcement will almost always get you the least expensive booking. I currently have 5 cruises booked out through March 2017. When I do a price check on those in 2016, the current selling price is more than double what I booked for. The 2017 prices have not gone up that much yet, but the current prices are still higher than I got.

BTW, apparently you do not realize that when one books 18-24 months in advance, there is only a relatively small amount of down payment due until the final payment date. You can change the cruise dates/ship at any time. If one has to cancel before final payment, you get that back....

OP you have no idea what you are talking about.

Do prices drop in the 90 window, yes, but we plan vacations outside that window anyway, and dont usually plan last minute. But they do not Always drop, and stateroom availability is limited.

The fact that you thought you could call, and get money back, is absurd. Do you call the airlines and call for a price change as the flight gets closer!?!?!?

2nd, when booking OUTSIDE the 90 day, i have found time and time again is almost always cheaper to book farther our (way farther out) than closer, although sometimes i can call and get an onboard credit applied/slight discount in price applied.

welcome to cruise critic.....

If we didn't book in advance our current room would cost $3500 more than we paid. This is checking full price, checking with the current 30% off we would still be paying $2000 more and the category would is sold out so we couldn't even get the room we wanted

Do some sailings go down? absolutely but the majority simply increase

Unless you're on a cruise that typically sells out, [/size][/i]

I someone knew this.....they would have wonderful crystal ball.

Lots of people have had exceptional experiences booking cruises early only to see the price of their cabin continually rise.

Someone should book when they see a cruise at a price THEY feel is a good value for them. If the price goes down and they can get that price, wonderful.

No, they would have simply conducted sound research on past sailings of this particular cruise.

Past performance is no guarantee of future expectations....still a guess at the future result.

We have had tremendous fortune booking early, getting cabin we want for a price we are willing to pay. Sometimes the price went down and we were able to secure it or an OBC to cover the difference....but if not, we still felt fine.

We don't book what we are not willing to pay.

Past performance is no guarantee of future expectations....still a guess at the future result.

We have had tremendous fortune booking early, getting cabin we want for a price we are willing to pay. Sometimes the price went down and we were able to secure it or an OBC to cover the difference....but if not, we still felt fine.

We don't book what we are not willing to pay.

I agree, there are never any guarantees, but past performance ("typically sells out") is a very good indicator IMO.

In any event, like you we book (very) early so that we can get the cabin(s) we want at a price we are willing to pay. I've yet to be disappointed because of last minute or any other price drops. On those few occasions where they've dropped as low as the initial pricing, the cabins we'd want aren't available. In the mean time, having booked well in advance, I can move early on hotel and flight bookings.

Am going to jump in as a cruiser who has been on 14 lines (Diamond on RCI) and uses many different booking strategies. It is true that booking early gives you maximum cabin selection (unless your desired cabins are held in inventory for group or consortium booking purposes). And early pricing is sometimes favorable. But if one is looking for the best price, and has some flexibility, there is a lot to be said for waiting until the last minute (inside the final payment period). The bargains we find with last minute bookings are sometimes beyond belief. On the other hand, if a particular cruise is very popular and sells well the prices might go up after final payment. For those of us who are flexible this is not a big deal because we simply find a great deal on a different cruise line. I should also add that some of the best deals are unadvertised specials. Unless you are registered with multiple reputable cruise agencies (so you get direct e-mails with specials) you will not even know about some bargain fares. And even this is not a guarantee as we discovered last week when we stumbled on an incredible Princess deal that was not even disclosed via e-mail. Suffice it to say that when we can book a high category balcony for less then $50 per passenger day (including all taxes and fees and netting on board credits) we are happy cruisers.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Am going to jump in as a cruiser who has been on 14 lines (Diamond on RCI) and uses many different booking strategies. It is true that booking early gives you maximum cabin selection (unless your desired cabins are held in inventory for group or consortium booking purposes). And early pricing is sometimes favorable. But if one is looking for the best price, and has some flexibility, there is a lot to be said for waiting until the last minute (inside the final payment period). The bargains we find with last minute bookings are sometimes beyond belief. On the other hand, if a particular cruise is very popular and sells well the prices might go up after final payment. For those of us who are flexible this is not a big deal because we simply find a great deal on a different cruise line. I should also add that some of the best deals are unadvertised specials. Unless you are registered with multiple reputable cruise agencies (so you get direct e-mails with specials) you will not even know about some bargain fares. And even this is not a guarantee as we discovered last week when we stumbled on an incredible Princess deal that was not even disclosed via e-mail. Suffice it to say that when we can book a high category balcony for less then $50 per passenger day (including all taxes and fees and netting on board credits) we are happy cruisers.

Hank

We've taken one last-minute Alaska cruise when we were able to luck into a flight sale to Vancouver announced the same day as the cruise special email arrived. Most of the time, though, we find that potential cruise savings are negated in large part by the cost of flights. Getting a direct flight even one way is a virtual impossibility on short notice, and DW does not enjoy multiple leg flights. I surely wish that we lived in Fort Lauderdale! :)

We've taken one last-minute Alaska cruise when we were able to luck into a flight sale to Vancouver announced the same day as the cruise special email arrived. Most of the time, though, we find that potential cruise savings are negated in large part by the cost of flights. Getting a direct flight even one way is a virtual impossibility on short notice, and DW does not enjoy multiple leg flights. I surely wish that we lived in Fort Lauderdale! :)

What is interesting is we booked the Oct 24 Regal Princess cruise just last Tuesday! It is a repo cruise from NYC (where we can easily go with the train) to Ft Lauderdale. We were able to also grab a $69 one-way SWA airfare from FLL to BWI (that is about 1/3 of their normal fare). Sometimes all the stars align on last minute deals but one must be able to make a commitment without hesitation. It suits those of us who are retired but is difficult for anyone working.

Hank

What is interesting is we booked the Oct 24 Regal Princess cruise just last Tuesday! It is a repo cruise from NYC (where we can easily go with the train) to Ft Lauderdale. We were able to also grab a $69 one-way SWA airfare from FLL to BWI (that is about 1/3 of their normal fare). Sometimes all the stars align on last minute deals but one must be able to make a commitment without hesitation. It suits those of us who are retired but is difficult for anyone working.

Hank

Well done! Enjoy the cruise. We had snow yesterday and again today - nothing that stayed - and cruising south has a definite appeal! :D

Aloha cruisers,

RCCL came through in the end and upgraded us from D2 to D1. We're happy with that not so much because there's a huge value in the upgrade (same room on a different floor), but because they did something (which was all we were asking to begin with). So looks like we'll stay with them for the near future anyway. I have no frame of reference but they impressed us on our first experience and we would worry about being disappointed on another line.

Still, I believe the late booking strategy will work for us because of the types of cruises we enjoy and the time of year we go. And I still believe that if more people did it that way, the pricing strategy may change in the consumers favor.

Mahalo to all for the great information!

Aloha cruisers,

RCCL came through in the end and upgraded us from D2 to D1. We're happy with that not so much because there's a huge value in the upgrade (same room on a different floor), but because they did something (which was all we were asking to begin with). So looks like we'll stay with them for the near future anyway. I have no frame of reference but they impressed us on our first experience and we would worry about being disappointed on another line.

Still, I believe the late booking strategy will work for us because of the types of cruises we enjoy and the time of year we go. And I still believe that if more people did it that way, the pricing strategy may change in the consumers favor.

Mahalo to all for the great information!

Considering the griping that you put forth in OP, I am surprised you are happy with something that is really an '=' rather than an upgrade....just my personal opinion. But then again, when I am replying to you, you have made a grand total of 5 posts.

For those of you who keep on with the 5 months isn't early comments, I booked it a year in advance (just after my first cruise experience, which would be the earliest it could have happened for me) and PAID IT OFF 5 months prior.

Mental note to self...to avoid being berated, be very clear on these forums...

Considering the griping that you put forth in OP, I am surprised you are happy with something that is really an '=' rather than an upgrade....just my personal opinion. But then again, when I am replying to you, you have made a grand total of 5 posts.

Why does the number of posts matter? Isn't the idea behind this to generate MORE information? Why would you try and discourage that with derogatory responses? Why not just ignore it if it bothers you? I was just sharing information. Be happy, fellow cruiser! It's more fun...😀

They don't matter at all. Everyone was a new member at some point. People nitpick, argue, or are just contrary about what is posted. Which is surprising, because it is supposed to be a website about fun holiday vacations. :rolleyes: Just ignore it or them. :D:):D

Edited by Coralc

You get what you pay for.

At 5 months out you got the certainty that you had your cruise booked at a time you wanted to fit into your lifestyle.

I have never been on a cruise before, unless you count ferries or my own boat, but I am about to take up an offer which is quite a late deal. The cruise sails in less than a month and the offer is for a suite at less than an outside cabin would normally cost. It seems that there are only suites and interior cabins left. I like to do some things on an impulse and this is one of them. My long time travel agent says I have jagged a bargain. Just hope I like cruising or it will be a long 16 days.

They don't matter at all. People nitpick, argue, or are just contrary about what is posted. Which is surprising, because it is supposed to be a website about fun holiday vacations. :rolleyes: Just ignore it or them. :D:):D

Sage advice, happy cruiser! Thanks!