Flight advice?

PG123

Hello,

We are flying Detroit to Anchorage in Late July, then Vancouver to Detroit in early August. I would appreciate I ate any tips or strategies anyone might have. I have a Kayak alert, not much change so far. Should we go ahead and book, or is it likely they'll go down? Thanks so much!

There is a board here dedicated to Air travel, located here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

with a great number of people with tons of experience and expertize. I would recommend asking there.

There is no way to predict what prices will do. August is peak cruising season in Alaska, and the market into Anchorage and Vancouver is relatively tight, so personally I wouldn't wait.

You need to make the choice. They might go down. Can you handle the problem if they go up? Certainly the most desirable routes and times will get higher demand, and you might find yourself not sitting together, or not going the most direct route.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Hello,

We are flying Detroit to Anchorage in Late July, then Vancouver to Detroit in early August. I would appreciate I ate any tips or strategies anyone might have. I have a Kayak alert, not much change so far. Should we go ahead and book, or is it likely they'll go down? Thanks so much!

To clarify.... what are your Vancouver dates? August 1st is super busy...

Check out Seattle departure options.... you can get a $50 shuttle that takes you from the Vancouver cruise terminal to the Seattle airport.

Edited by xlxo

Nobody can predict the future, and prices can certainly go up. Are you very flexible? IF not, then waiting, may see a rise in price. An example- last year, the loads on the airline I use, was 100% for over a week leaving Anchorage. I purchased a cheap - random Jet Blue flight, since my sister wanted her son home. :) I tracked the flights - and it would have taken me 8 days to get out. :) This was beginning of August.

For years- VERY high load factors with both Seattle and Anchorage. Vancouver is up there as well.

Years ago, I worked for an airline both in domestic reservations and domestic tariff. In tariff, we dealt with the fare rules and regulations. The short version is that you may be eligible for a refund or refund in form of a voucher if you book a ticket and the price goes down. It depends on the airline and their specific rules. You could even probably do an online chat which would give you the option of keeping the transcript.

Before purchasing a ticket, I would advise any traveler to call the airline he/she plans to use and ask specifically what the ticketing policy is in regards to price drops. Also, if booking a codeshare flight (it's booked as one airline like Alaska but another airline like American is doing the actual flying), make sure the rules are the same. If considering more than one airline, make a call to each airline considered and ask them. You may find that one airline has a better policy than another.

Thanks for the input. We booked Air Alaska Detroit to Anchorage, and then Air Canada Vancouver to Windsor. The prices were decent, worked out to about $900 CAD which would be about $600 US. I'll keep an eye on Air Alaska for a drop in price, but Air Canada doesn't do the refund. It's a relief to have it booked! On to excursions (much more fun)