Outlets in Neptune Suite

LUPY48

Are there sufficient outlets in the Neptune Suites? Or should I bring a multi-plug adapter? Thank you.

There is an outlet in the dressing room/closet area...and an outlet by the bed....can't remember if there were any others...

If you need more...just ask for an extension cord....don't take your own as they are not allowed on HAL ships....

Are there sufficient outlets in the Neptune Suites? Or should I bring a multi-plug adapter? Thank you.

We have only sailed on HAL Vista-class ships and have never seen a power outlet by the bed. Our experience is one 110V and one 220V by the desk, the same in the dressing room, and a shaver outlet in the bathroom. On the Zuiderdam, we found an outlet inside the cabinet by the couch.

If you have multi-voltage items, such as laptop, cell phones, tablet purchase a 110-220V adapter and leave the 110V outlets for use with a multi-port adapter. If you need something electrical by the bed, bring a 130foot extension cord that will reach the outlet by the desk or dressing room.

...If you need something electrical by the bed, bring a 130foot extension cord that will reach the outlet by the desk or dressing room.

I really think a 130 foot extension cord is a bit of an overkill. Perhaps one a little shorter might be advisable.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving

Depends on what you want to plug in. We have always had enough for a hair dryer, and then assorted chargers to our phones, laptops and camera. But that's all we needed. The Neptune suites have a dressing area I really like, so the extra space comes in handy for my hair dryer.

In the standard rooms, I always bring a multi-outlet adapter. I always seem to be an outlet or two short on the vanity, mostly due to all of the things we charge - two cell phones, 2 Kindles, camera, iPad, and possibly a laptop.

I find the best adapter/plug is one which has 2 USB outlets (for all the phones, computers, iPads, etc) and 3 three prong plugs for all else. The one I always travel with is a Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger. The head rotates so you regardless of the direction/space of the plug, you have flexibility to "fit the plug to the space",

I really think a 130 foot extension cord is a bit of an overkill. Perhaps one a little shorter might be advisable.

Scott & Karen

LOL, I think what hubby meant to say was 10 ft extension cord:) I saw the typo and about died laughing..........

Joanie

LOL, I think what hubby meant to say was 10 ft extension cord:) I saw the typo and about died laughing..........

Joanie

I had a good laugh over that one too Joanie! Thanks for clearing it up!! Hilarious:D

We've always had sufficient outlets in Neptune Suites.

... a Belkin Mini Surge Protector with USB Charger.
You should NOT use surge suppressors on ships! :eek: It has been explained many times on this forum why these are bad for ships.

While your description of what a surge protector does is correct, the reason you give for their not being allowed is not quite correct. The clamping voltage of most commercial surge protectors (the voltage that they will dump to ground) is much higher than any voltage fluctuations that are normal on ships, and generally wouldn't be seen short of a lightning strike on the ship.

The reason surge protectors are not allowed is that ship's power systems are different than shore power systems that the surge protectors are designed for. On land, one of the "legs" of the power system (one of the flat pins that carry current) is grounded to the ground pin (round one needed to protect you from electric shock) at your circuit breaker panel. Ships keep these two wires separate, so that stray current does not flow through the "ground" which is the ship's hull. These stray currents will create a mild battery effect in sea water, causing corrosion to the hull. Therefore, there are monitoring and alarm circuits onboard that measure the amount of current flowing in the hull, and surge protectors can set off these alarms.

The reason the Belkin surge protector shown is not readily confiscated, is that it shows as a multi-plug adapter, or something else in baggage x-ray, not like a power strip that has a cord and a large block of outlets.

Edited by jtl513

Interesting. I have never had a problem bringing a surge protector on to a ship. I bring it because I use a CPAP and do not want to risk damage to an expensive piece of medical equipment.

Edited by JPH814

I have never had a problem bringing a surge protector on to a ship.
Don't be surprised if it is confiscated sometime ... that has happened on HAL ships from time to time. Know Before You Go states that only power strips issued by the Front Desk are allowed, and those do not have surge suppressors.

Edited by jtl513

Interesting. I have never had a problem bringing a surge protector on to a ship. I bring it because I use a CPAP and do not want to risk damage to an expensive piece of medical equipment.

One of my pieces of luggage was placed in the "naughty room" with a tag reporting "powerstrip". Our Room Steward retrieved the piece of luggage but the powerstrip (not a surge protector) was not confiscated.

Our powertrips are now placed in our carry-on luggage.

Edited by Crew News

I use a CPAP as well and carry it as my "carry-on" with an extension cord whenever we cruise. I've not had any trouble getting it aboard.

I prefer to use my own extension cord. However, since we will be on our first HAL cruise next year, I really need to know whether my extension cord will be allowed or not.

I prefer to use my own extension cord. However, since we will be on our first HAL cruise next year, I really need to know whether my extension cord will be allowed or not.
Extension cords are not a problem ... surge suppressors are. If by extension cord you mean a power strip, generally they are allowed, despite what KBYG says, as long as they do not have a surge suppressor.

Extension cords are not a problem ... surge suppressors are. If by extension cord you mean a power strip, generally they are allowed, despite what KBYG says, as long as they do not have a surge suppressor.

I use an extension cord that has multiple outlets. It's lightweight and packs easily into the case with my CPAP. It's good to know it won't be confiscated.

Thanks for your reply.

For those people that have a number of devices that can charge via a USB port, such as iPhone, iPad, Android, PnS Cameras, etc. I would recommend a multi-port USB power supply from Anker. There are power supplies that will give you 2 ports to 10 ports up to 2.4Amps per port. I have a 5 port one that I keep in my daily work travel bag. And since it uses only a two prong power cord it is easier to find available 110V outlets.

For those people that have a number of devices that can charge via a USB port, such as iPhone, iPad, Android, PnS Cameras, etc. I would recommend a multi-port USB power supply from Anker. There are power supplies that will give you 2 ports to 10 ports up to 2.4Amps per port. I have a 5 port one that I keep in my daily work travel bag. And since it uses only a two prong power cord it is easier to find available 110V outlets.

I use the five-port at home and keep another in my "cruise" bag.