It's as bad as

Rebel54

finding out you are pregnant on the first day of conception and having to wait nearly 10 months to have the baby.

UGH. 9 months to go until our first river cruise. Almost like having a first kid.....I'm just that darn anxious.

On the flip side....I started planning last May so at least I don't still have that long. I'm obsessed, anxious and excited.

I've been buying little odds and ends for the trip. Got some new luggage on eBags for both check in and carry on. Finding a carry on that will be big enough to do the trick but not too big so as to not pass the measure and tag process over seas is not easy. Told my husband he needs to design a suitcase with detachable wheels so you can get the full 22" measurement in bag not bag and wheels. Not fair to lose 2 inches of space due to wheels.

I really only wanted to carry on one item that I could put my photography gear and a couple changes of clothes but it's not been easy. Good side...I have 9 months to get it right.

Anyone else going crazy waiting for their cruise?

Wow....YOU ARE EXCITED!!! That is a good thing and I understand the excitement! Just don't overdo the packing or you will end up with needless stuff to haul around!

Take a deep breath and write a list down and you will be editing that list frequently! After all you have 10 months:D

Wow....YOU ARE EXCITED!!! That is a good thing and I understand the excitement! Just don't overdo the packing or you will end up with needless stuff to haul around!

Take a deep breath and write a list down and you will be editing that list frequently! After all you have 10 months:D

I do have a list. I will probably end up pulling a few odds and ends :). I don't have a ton of stuff. Haven't been to Europe in years so I needed little things like adapters, etc. I know I can pick up odds and ends there but whatever I pay for now, I don't have to budget for later :).

finding out you are pregnant on the first day of conception and having to wait nearly 10 months to have the baby.

UGH. 9 months to go until our first river cruise. Almost like having a first kid.....I'm just that darn anxious.

On the flip side....I started planning last May so at least I don't still have that long. I'm obsessed, anxious and excited.

I've been buying little odds and ends for the trip. Got some new luggage on eBags for both check in and carry on. Finding a carry on that will be big enough to do the trick but not too big so as to not pass the measure and tag process over seas is not easy. Told my husband he needs to design a suitcase with detachable wheels so you can get the full 22" measurement in bag not bag and wheels. Not fair to lose 2 inches of space due to wheels.

I really only wanted to carry on one item that I could put my photography gear and a couple changes of clothes but it's not been easy. Good side...I have 9 months to get it right.

Anyone else going crazy waiting for their cruise?

A few reasons why a river cruise is better than being pregnant:

1. It doesn't last nine months;

2. It doesn't cost nearly as much;

3. No one will ask you personal questions;

4. You don't have to assume any humiliating posit Sions (unless you choose to)

5. You don't have to dress anyone but yourself;

6. Someone else does the cooking, cleaning and laundry; and

7. If you change your mind, you don't have to take it anyway; :D

Seriously, about the carry-on...consider a back pack. You can stuff a boat load of stuff in it and if it's on your back, they usually won't ask to weigh it and you can use it when you're ashore to carry what you need and what you bought.

Edited by Hydrokitty

That's awesome. River cruises also don't talk back and don't move back home after you get rid of them.

I have a backpack that holds my laptop and my camera gear but after hurting my back in the military and aggravating it while on the police force, I just can't carry the weight on my back like I used to and I don't want to make my husband hoist it either. I found a roll on tote that will fit my small camera case, laptop and iPad and some odds and ends. I might carry a small tote with some clothes and toiletries...to freshen up on the way. We'll see. That I can carry because it won't be so heavy. I ordered a carry on 22 in but when I got it and measured it with wheels it was more like 25. Grrrr.

A few reasons why a river cruise is better than being pregnant:

1. It doesn't last nine months;

2. It doesn't cost nearly as much;

3. No one will ask you personal questions;

4. You don't have to assume any humiliating posit Sions (unless you choose to)

5. You don't have to dress anyone but yourself;

6. Someone else does the cooking, cleaning and laundry; and

7. If you change your mind, you don't have to take it anyway; :D

Seriously, about the carry-on...consider a back pack. You can stuff a boat load of stuff in it and if it's on your back, they usually won't ask to weigh it and you can use it when you're ashore to carry what you need and what you bought.

We have 2 cruises in our future and it seems like forever before they will get here! (May & October)!!

Here's a wheeled tote that fits under the seat.

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/wheeled-underseat-carry-on-with-back-up-bag/80526?lastSearchTerm=travelon+wheeled+underseat+carry-on+with+back-up+bag&pl=hdr_srch_as_l1

I use this red one just about everywhere I go and it holds my camera gear/small laptop/ipad/plugs, a change of clothes and shoes. Love the swivel wheels.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ricardo-beverly-hills/montecito-micro-light-20-4-wheel-exp-wheelaboard/260510?productid=10262664

I just got our Docs (doin' the Dance now)!

It is > a month out; however, I have started packing so that I can then un-pack a couple of times. I need lots of space and poundage left for shopping The Christmas Markets! :eek:

Kiyomi just returned from the Right Coast seeing the fall leaves, Canada & New England. I told her she just needs to unpack, fill up the washer, dryer, and re-pack. ;)

I just found out that I have a "Mild Sleep Apnea." Just what I need.:mad: A CPAP to carry to the aircraft. I also just started taking a Statin for high cholesterol. I resisted for 2 weeks after reading all the contraindications on line; however, only 1 to 2 % chance of side effects so I acquiesed and started yesterday (only 10 g.) I also changed my diet but will probably blow it with all the wonderful German food on board. :p

I am taking my backpack for laptop, camera, extra clothes, and jewelery so the weight is distributed over my painful back. (Doing the Physical Therapy every day.) :o

Interesting thread, Rebel. Thanks

Donna

TRIPS:

Is this true for KLM and Air France also? My laptop weighs 13 pounds! :eek:

I know the CPAP does not count. :)

Can't speak for Air France, but I just flew KLM and they did not weigh my back back, which I know for certain weighed more than 17 pounds. However, I must tell you that we fly business class and one of the things you get for all that money is a different set of rules.

I looked at the first one but it's too small. My laptop is 15.5 inches long :(.

Got this one and it's almost perfect but it will do for this trip!

http://www.ebags.com/product/atlantic/compass-unite-wheeled-carry-on-tote/254209?productid=10243530

Was trying to stay away from the big wheels poking out to try to draw less attention to myself. :)

We have 2 cruises in our future and it seems like forever before they will get here! (May & October)!!

Here's a wheeled tote that fits under the seat.

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelon/wheeled-underseat-carry-on-with-back-up-bag/80526?lastSearchTerm=travelon+wheeled+underseat+carry-on+with+back-up+bag&pl=hdr_srch_as_l1

I use this red one just about everywhere I go and it holds my camera gear/small laptop/ipad/plugs, a change of clothes and shoes. Love the swivel wheels.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ricardo-beverly-hills/montecito-micro-light-20-4-wheel-exp-wheelaboard/260510?productid=10262664

Color me jealous. I hope to do a Christmas Market trip once. I miss that about Germany. Christmas always felt so special. Have a Gluwine for me :).

I have a MacBook Pro 17 in. That thing alone is heavy. With a Canon DSLR and a couple lenses, and other assorted odds and ends, it gets heavy. I'm not checking anything that is going to tempt thieves. I used to be able to handle it on my back but it makes my hips and neck cramp up. Not worth it.

I haven't really started packing but the guest room looks like a hurricane hit it. All the new luggage, odds and ends I've picked up are all in there now. By the time we get ready to go, it's going to be a disaster!

I just got our Docs (doin' the Dance now)!

It is > a month out; however, I have started packing so that I can then un-pack a couple of times. I need lots of space and poundage left for shopping The Christmas Markets! :eek:

Kiyomi just returned from the Right Coast seeing the fall leaves, Canada & New England. I told her she just needs to unpack, fill up the washer, dryer, and re-pack. ;)

I just found out that I have a "Mild Sleep Apnea." Just what I need.:mad: A CPAP to carry to the aircraft. I also just started taking a Statin for high cholesterol. I resisted for 2 weeks after reading all the contraindications on line; however, only 1 to 2 % chance of side effects so I acquiesed and started yesterday (only 10 g.) I also changed my diet but will probably blow it with all the wonderful German food on board. :p

I am taking my backpack for laptop, camera, extra clothes, and jewelery so the weight is distributed over my painful back. (Doing the Physical Therapy every day.) :o

Interesting thread, Rebel. Thanks

Donna

I am going on my first River Cruise in April:D....As for pregnancy?

Never been there:p......I am excited about my River Cruise too and I

plan on packing the same way as I do for all my ocean cruises (been

on over 40 of them).....I bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on.

We pack differently for a river cruise than an ocean cruise. Evenings are more casual, daytime wear is geared to more physical activity (we average 8-10 miles a day of walking when in Europe) and cobblestones are always a consideration.

We do use public transport so also take that into consideration as we need to be able to handle our bags when getting on and off trains, buses, etc.

Generally I travel with a 24 inch spinner bag and a carry on for my laptop, valuables and electronics. My favorite is: http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Luggage-Avolve-Wheeled-Boarding/dp/B00BF6LAKW/ref=sr_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1445175010&sr=1-8&nodeID=15743261&refinements=p_89%3AVictorinox

It is extremely well made, has spinner wheels and rides on top of my suitcase. It would not fit a super large laptop though. I use a MacAir which is very small and lightweight and it is perfect for that and leaves lots of room for other items, including a change of clothes.

We took a river cruise with Viking thru europe and again with Viking thru china.

Total different ball of wax than ocean cruising.....but......LOVED IT!!! It is all sbout the destinations because the ship is just your floating hotel.

We were in europe about the same time of year you will be going. Wonderful weather!

Consider china on a river cruise......SURREAL!!!

We pack differently for a river cruise than an ocean cruise. Evenings are more casual, daytime wear is geared to more physical activity (we average 8-10 miles a day of walking when in Europe) and cobblestones are always a consideration.

We do use public transport so also take that into consideration as we need to be able to handle our bags when getting on and off trains, buses, etc.

Generally I travel with a 24 inch spinner bag and a carry on for my laptop, valuables and electronics. My favorite is: http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Luggage-Avolve-Wheeled-Boarding/dp/B00BF6LAKW/ref=sr_1_8?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1445175010&sr=1-8&nodeID=15743261&refinements=p_89%3AVictorinox

It is extremely well made, has spinner wheels and rides on top of my suitcase. It would not fit a super large laptop though. I use a MacAir which is very small and lightweight and it is perfect for that and leaves lots of room for other items, including a change of clothes.

Your posts are always informative:)....I should have said I am bringing

the same amount of luggage on my river cruise;)....1 checked bag

and 1 carry on......I will be bringing different clothing from an

Ocean cruise;)

Your posts are always informative:)....I should have said I am bringing

the same amount of luggage on my river cruise;)....1 checked bag

and 1 carry on......I will be bringing different clothing from an

Ocean cruise;)

glad you clarified that Lois because I was going to chime in and agree with Caviargal. I've done 8 river cruises and find my 1 checked suitcase and 1 carry on (which for me is an LLBean soft backpack) is all I need. If I recall you're doing the tulip cruise? April will be wonderful but do bring a hoodie and a fleece vest...sometimes it gets quite chilly. We were in Keukenhof in late April and while all the flowers were in full magnificence, it was very sunny, dry and freezing!!! :D

glad you clarified that Lois because I was going to chime in and agree with Caviargal. I've done 8 river cruises and find my 1 checked suitcase and 1 carry on (which for me is an LLBean soft backpack) is all I need. If I recall you're doing the tulip cruise? April will be wonderful but do bring a hoodie and a fleece vest...sometimes it gets quite chilly. We were in Keukenhof in late April and while all the flowers were in full magnificence, it was very sunny, dry and freezing!!! :D

Hi,:) yes, I am going on The TULIP TIME cruise:D.....April 7-14th. I

always bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on;).....I will bring long sleeves

for sure. I don't own a "fleece vest"....actually, I don't own any vests.

I will look in my closet and see what jackets will be easy to bring. But

I don't plan on buying a vest. To be honest with you, I would never

wear it again.

Color me jealous. I hope to do a Christmas Market trip once. I miss that about Germany. Christmas always felt so special. Have a Gluwine for me. I have a MacBook Pro 17-inch. That thing alone is heavy. With a Canon DSLR and a couple lenses, and other assorted odds and ends, it gets heavy. I'm not checking anything that is going to tempt thieves. I used to be able to handle it on my back but it makes my hips and neck cramp up. Not worth it. I haven't really started packing but the guest room looks like a hurricane hit it. All the new luggage, odds and ends I've picked up are all in there now. By the time we get ready to go, it's going to be a disaster!

LMAO, Rebel. I have the same disaster. BTW, I just discovered a new way to pack my checked bag. Put it on the ironing board and then you can move it up and down easily and weigh it and when it's time (after locking straps and lock) to put it on the floor to wheel out, just lower the board down. I don't know why it took me this long to invent this method. :confused:

In 1972, I lived in Aiea for a year, with a beautiful view of Ford Island and the Memorial. Although I loved it, I became "Island-Bound" and was happy to move back to California. :cool:

I Lived in Pirmasens (south of Kaiserslautern) from 1954 to 1957 and my first daughter was born there.

Actually, I am still on the fence about my backpack. In the past, I have successfully used the Blue insulated Trader Joe's bag. Very lightweight and it is the EXACT size required. The downside is that the weight is all on one shoulder. Therefore, I am still vacillating. I also wear a fanny-pak under my shirt and all my euros and dollars are under my panties in the panty-wallet. Because the air stewards starve us for water for about an hour, on my shoulder is a cheap ($5) plastic thermos into which I put ice. Although you cannot bring water aboard, ice is o.k. ;)

Hi Lois,

A couple of years ago we visited Keukenhof Gardens toward the end of our cruise which started April 2. It was so cold there people were buying sox and putting them on their hands! I had wool sox and dansko clogs, a short black quilted fall coat and layers underneath. Unfortunately, I didn't bring gloves and didn't have a scarf. My stepmom and I kept buying hot cocoa or hot cider to take us from one area to another area of the gardens! I would throw in a pair of gloves(they don't take up much room) and a scarf. At least if its cold your hands will be covered and "warmer" and a scarf can keep your neck warm or your ears if its windy.

Hi Lois,

A couple of years ago we visited Keukenhof Gardens toward the end of our cruise which started April 2. It was so cold there people were buying sox and putting them on their hands! I had wool sox and dansko clogs, a short black quilted fall coat and layers underneath. Unfortunately, I didn't bring gloves and didn't have a scarf. My stepmom and I kept buying hot cocoa or hot cider to take us from one area to another area of the gardens! I would throw in a pair of gloves(they don't take up much room) and a scarf. At least if its cold your hands will be covered and "warmer" and a scarf can keep your neck warm or your ears if its windy.

A scarf and gloves I can handle:);):D