Slippery floors on the Breeze?

eng4

YES! The wrong tile!

It is not people or shoes but the tile itself.

Not all tile needs to be glass smooth. I live in Florida, where tile often prevails in homes. Our house is now 100% tile, along with some large area rugs and runners for decorative effect.

The last room we did was the MBR, where we removed the carpet and put down tile whose texture is best described as "fine sandpaper". Walk on it barefoot; no issue. None of the tile in the house is silky smooth and have some form of texture. All very attractive.

Now, my mother's condo has glass smooth tile, and when visiting there on a rainy day, and even after wiping my shoes, I have several times almost taken a spill on it.

Apparently, Carnival chose the wrong tile, and I will stand by my opinion.

100% right. It is the wrong tile! You may know we live near each other and the whole downstairs of my home is tile but has a natural stone like finish. No slip. The previous owner put smooth tile outside on the walk to the front door. Ice rink. Morning dew was deadly. Not sure what they were thinking. Anyhow I treated the tile with a chemical that etched the tile for traction but didn't change the look. I will look it up and post. It may be helpful for your mom's condo. I was about to rip out my walkway...

The buffet is incredibly slippery no matter what shoes you wear. VERY slippery!!!!

YES!!! This area on both the Breeze and Magic is a hazard. I have seen several people fall on both ships and I almost hit the deck once.

Another slippery spot can be the elevators. People get in them soaking wet from the pools to go back to their rooms and the flooring in the elevator is like a sheet of ice when wet. I know that one from personal experience. I took a hard fall in an elevator by the aft dining room on the Breeze. There were wet footprints all over the floor. I got a good look at them with my face on the floor!

YES! The wrong tile!

It is not people or shoes but the tile itself.

Not all tile needs to be glass smooth. I live in Florida, where tile often prevails in homes. Our house is now 100% tile, along with some large area rugs and runners for decorative effect.

The last room we did was the MBR, where we removed the carpet and put down tile whose texture is best described as "fine sandpaper". Walk on it barefoot; no issue. None of the tile in the house is silky smooth and have some form of texture. All very attractive.

Now, my mother's condo has glass smooth tile, and when visiting there on a rainy day, and even after wiping my shoes, I have several times almost taken a spill on it.

Apparently, Carnival chose the wrong tile, and I will stand by my opinion.

Here is the stuff I described above. It really works! Carnival should buy a few gallons.

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Grip-Floor-Treatment-Quart/dp/B003JTTHVM

From the front of the ship (by the Lido Pool) if you come in the middle entrance (between Guys and Blue Iguana, you immediately come to carpet by the elevators. Continue straight ahead and you will be right in the middle of the Buffet (by the Mongolian Wok) Avoiding the slick spots every time.

From the rear come through the middle area by the elevators and again you come to carpet. Proceed forward and you are in the rear dining area. Again avoiding the slick spots.

Problem avoided.

Here is the stuff I described above. It really works! Carnival should buy a few gallons.

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Grip-Floor-Treatment-Quart/dp/B003JTTHVM

Thanks for that, "LM"! Maybe Carnival should buy some and apply it. Certainly cheaper than replacing tile. What were they thinking when they put that tile in?

My front walkway, while textured concrete remained a slip hazard when wet. When I repainted it I added a sand-type additive from Home depot to the paint. Problem solved!

Thanks for that, "LM"! Maybe Carnival should buy some and apply it. Certainly cheaper than replacing tile. What were they thinking when they put that tile in?

My front walkway, while textured concrete remained a slip hazard when wet. When I repainted it I added a sand-type additive from Home depot to the paint. Problem solved!

Let's see....Sand type additives in a relatively small space with a few people walking on it every day as compared to a large area (maybe 5000+ sq. feet) traipsed over by 4000 passengers multiple times a day, 365 days a year. I can't even begin to imagine how much abuse those Lido Buffet floors take in a year and how much these additives are subjected to dirt, grime, grease, etc. The sand additives would make cleaning a nightmare every day and the gunk build-up would be astronomical after a few months.

Somethings are manufactured to provide a solution for areas that don't get this kind of traffic. I think I'd rather wear appropriate shoes to prevent slipping on a floor that can actually be thoroughly cleaned then to have a cruiseline having to close the buffet every few weeks for additional applications. The Architects and designers are much more familiar with the durability of tile and its cleaning properties than a homeowner. It's what they do for a living.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

Let's see....Sand type additives in a relatively small space with a few people walking on it every day as compared to a large area (maybe 5000+ sq. feet) traipsed over by 4000 passengers multiple times a day, 365 days a year. I can't even begin to imagine how much abuse those Lido Buffet floors take in a year and how much these additives are subjected to dirt, grime, grease, etc. The sand additives would make cleaning a nightmare every day and the gunk build-up would be astronomical after a few months.

Somethings are manufactured to provide a solution for areas that don't get this kind of traffic. I think I'd rather wear appropriate shoes to prevent slipping on a floor that can actually be thoroughly cleaned then to have a cruiseline having to close the buffet every few weeks for additional applications. The Architects and designers are much more familiar with the durability of tile and its cleaning properties than a homeowner. It's what they do for a living.

The link I shared is for a chemical treatment, not a sand additive. Even with any type of shoes my smooth tile walkway was an ice rink. There has been no change to the look of the surface or feel of the tile, but it is no longer slick. The area is also subjected to rain, heat, and sun. Higher traffic may have a different impact, but I do not think this sort of treatment would need to be reapplied every few weeks. Maybe every six months?

Anyways, if you have this sort of issue the chemical treatments I can personally vouch for as having worked. And it's a solution that would not be hard to put into the field in short time to minimize the risk no matter what footwear guests are wearing.

I think people need to realize that several thousand feet carrying in excess water from the Lido deck and transporting it to the buffet endless times will result in excess water which tile is expected to express not absorb for better cleaning. Rough textured non-slippery tile has a porous overlay that will capture dirt and germs and eventually grease making the life of the tile miniscule in comparison to smooth surfaced tile. Anything in the buffet that is absorbant, therefore non-slippery, also acts like a wick for dirt and grime and grease.

Many types of sneakers (tennis for one) have soles that are made to slide...not the best on slippery surfaces. Smooth leather soles and heels with hard plastic tips as well as hard leather heels on men's dress shoes are like wearing a pair of ice skates on any non-porous surface.

Don't want to slip...invest in a pair of shoes with gripping soles like hiking sandals or running sneakers or spend 10 bucks and buy some non-slip grips that attach to the bottom of soles to help their gripping power.

It has nothing to do with people carrying water in. It is from the heat outside meeting the ac inside creating a film of condensation. They are constantly mopping it with a dry mop but it doesnt really solve the problem.

The Breeze's buffet area uses different tiles than other ships and it definitely made a difference which shoes I was wearing. I had one pair that worked without issue anywhere and any time. The others were slick slick slick.

I was on the Breeze in April and I fell going out of the marketplace toward the bank of elevators toward the back. I noticed the slippery floor and was walking slowly but when you slip, you have no control of righting yourself. I wore sandals that anyone would think would not be slippery. I discovered wearing rubber flip flops seemed to be the only footwear that did not slip.

I agree that the floors in the Breeze Lido Marketplace area are super slippery.

In my opinion, it is due to many careless people of all ages ( adults and children alike!) who I saw walking into the Lido Marketplace area barefoot and dripping wet. As a courtesy to other people, if you are relaxing in the hot tub or pool and get hungry or thirsty, please dry off fully and put on shoes or sandals before walking in that area.

Edited by CocoCandy

We had a spa room on deck 11 on the Breeze last August. We used the doors right by the water park to cut across outside and go down to Lido deck. I almost wiped out daily in flip flops going around the water park. Be careful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I just went on a cruise on December 2016 and my mother almost felt on the lido Marketplace.

Those tile floors are DANGEROUS and Out of Compliance... (OSHA).

The type of tiles they use are not the correct ones. They have a low Coefficient of Friction which makes them very slippery.

They need to have the tiles treated or replace them.

It doesn't matter if the floor is wet or not, they are slippery.

If you compare to the tiles on the deck restrooms which are also wet all the time, they are not slippery even though they are wet. They used the correct tile type in there.

I read a lawsuit they had and was not won by the attorney, because they presented it wrong. Nobody did a test (should be done by a third party and not their contractors) for a Coefficient of Friction of the tiles in use.

I work in this industry were we fix slippery floors, and they really need to get it done.

It is sad that a company like Carnival has not done its job on fixing this.

I talk to the manager of the restaurant and waiter who had fallen twice (wearing anti slippery shoes) and they are aware of it. Then DO SOMETHING!!!

I thought it was just me ! I find the buffet floors on every carnival ship I have sailed to be slippery even when visibly dry. That is whether I wear my sneakers or my good sandals. Great traction anywhere but on those buffet floors. I am in decent shape and in good health and I find myself slipping while being careful. Thanks for letting me know that it isn't only me :)

Maybe they'll fix the problem during the April 2017 dry dock. With so many people expressing experience with problems, I have a hard time believing the problem lies solely with common sense or "better" shoes.

Regardless, Carnival has an obligation in a food setting area to alert all passengers of slippery floors (OSHA).

This is not a problem just on Magic & Breeze... I've slipped and almost fallen wearing good walking shoes on several Carnival ships, all in the Lido Marketplace area.

I agree with several people here that say Carnival has got to know this is a lawsuit waiting to happen and they should do something about it. Maybe they got around to figuring it out too late for any of the earlier ships, but I wonder if anyone cruising on Vista has any feedback about the floors in the Marketplace area!!! Interesting to see if Carnival fixed the problem when they had the chance with a brand new ship!!

This is not a problem just on Magic & Breeze... I've slipped and almost fallen wearing good walking shoes on several Carnival ships, all in the Lido Marketplace area.

I agree with several people here that say Carnival has got to know this is a lawsuit waiting to happen and they should do something about it. Maybe they got around to figuring it out too late for any of the earlier ships, but I wonder if anyone cruising on Vista has any feedback about the floors in the Marketplace area!!! Interesting to see if Carnival fixed the problem when they had the chance with a brand new ship!!

I just about busted by backside multiple times in the Vista marketplace so no it is the same as others. Really depends on the shoes you are wearing but very slippery.

I contacted my PVP at the time after sailing on the Breeze...I could not believe how bad those floor's were....that was something that motivated me to complain, and was really disappointed with his response, but no matter, I moved on, until we sailed on the Sunshine and more recently on Vista, and came across the same issue. Can't believe this has not been addressed.