Question about HMC cancellations

Pellaz

We were on Conquest this past week and we missed our visit to HMC. Hey, it happens and now I'm 2-for-4 on making the stop. But there were a few oddities.

1. How often are visits to HMC cancelled the previous day? The Captain came on the PA after everyone returned from Nassau and gave us the bad news. Previously, we had sailed to the island and then the decision was made on-the-spot to cancel the visit and move on.

2. How much is usually credited back to everyone's onboard account when HMC is missed? There was no credit issued to us after the announcement.

Did they tell you why they cancelled HMC?

We were on the Glory Oct 3 and our first stop was to be HMC. When boarding the day before the stop they gave us a paper that said it was being cancelled due to damage from hurricane and they refunded us about $ 17 each to our account.

No extra stop we just continued on to St Thomas got there an hour early.

We were on Conquest this past week and we missed our visit to HMC. Hey, it happens and now I'm 2-for-4 on making the stop. But there were a few oddities.

1. How often are visits to HMC cancelled the previous day? The Captain came on the PA after everyone returned from Nassau and gave us the bad news. Previously, we had sailed to the island and then the decision was made on-the-spot to cancel the visit and move on.

2. How much is usually credited back to everyone's onboard account when HMC is missed? There was no credit issued to us after the announcement.

we were on the fascination next to the conquest in Nassau. we were sitting on top when we heard that announcement.:)

we missed hmc the day before. the water was choppy. they took us to Freeport after the stop in Nassau.

got there at 8 am and had to be back on board at 1:30 pm. not enough time to do a whole lot.

it is strange that they cancelled hmc the day before. a crewman on board told our sil that they miss hmc a lot this time of year.

that is the only reason we booked this cruise. disappointed, but we had a great time on this cruise. you have to go with the flow!!:)

they refunded the money we paid for the cabana at guest services.:)

Also on the Conquest and we were told me missed it because of predicted bad weather and not being able to tender safely. No credit issued but for those of you on the cruise what was the $7.92 credit from day one? It wasn't our OBC as that was on a different line but we each got that $7.92.

We didn't get another port.. had an extra sea day then our Grand Turk was to be 11-5 became 8-5.

Wonder if the damage to HMC from hurricane was very minimal if they reopened a few days later.

We were there October 8. Someone said it was the first day open after the storm. We've been there three times before; everything seemed normal except for repairs being done on the bathrooms by cabana 8.

I was on that cruise as well and after speaking to people it sounds like HMC is missed a lot. One guy said out of seven cruises he has only made it there once. Is there a certain time of year your more likely to actually make that port? I really wanted to go there and was disappointed when the Captain made the announcement. Now I have another reason to book another cruise, so I can get to HMC. I just need to find out what time of the year is the best time to cruise and stop there or is it hit or miss?

They should really invest some dollars and build a pier at HMC to limit the number of times it is missed.

I don't know how Disney and ResortsWorld got permission to build piers. Must have taken a bag full of money $$$$$$$$$, or two, $$$$$$$$.

for those of you on the cruise what was the $7.92 credit from day one? It wasn't our OBC as that was on a different line but we each got that $7.92.

I wasn't on that cruise, but that sounds like a reallocation credit for overall port charges/fees. Your port charges are estimated based on an expected number of guests. If they get more guests (i.e. triples/quads, etc), they allocate their total port charge cost over that larger number of passengers and pass a credit back to you to true-up what you paid. I've gotten a small credit for each of us on each of our cruises (3 so far). To the best of my knowledge, they don't charge you more if the passenger count goes the other way.

Edited by sarmat1

Such a dredge IS possible; Carnival built and dredged the man-made "pocket" at Grand Turk so that ships could dock there.

Whether it's financially and politically feasible at HMC (or CocoCay or Little Stirrup Cay) is a different question.

I'm now 2-for-4 for port visits to HMC. This one hurt especially hard, since I had reserved the Private Oasis for our CruiseCritic Roll Call.

Private stops in the Bahamas are still subject to port fees, so you would receive those back if missing the stop.

...and we didn't. Unless the $7.62 mentioned earlier is our compensation for missing HMC. --Which would be interesting, since the credit appeared on our accounts on embark day.

We have missed it 6 out of 11 attempts. A few years ago we got $25pp credit, the last time $0.16 (16 cents) per person. Carnival saved at least $10pp just not paying tendering fees let alone port fes.

To whom would Carnival pay tendering fees at HMC? Through HAL, they effectively own the island.