Princess transfers?

Superfishal

Hi everyone!

This is my first post ever so if I'm in the wrong place I apologize. In any case I am going on my first 2 cruises in the next few months. I cant wait!

I booked a coastal sampler on Princess, flying into LAX. My question is would I be better off booking the transfers through Princess or should I just use another company for half of the cost?

I'm not too savvy on the matter as of yet.

I think you answered your own question!;) That being said, I only use Princess transfers if I am embarking or disembarking from somewhere foreign where I'm not as comfortable with the lay of the land. In the good ol' US of A, find a shuttle or service. Super Shuttle is a good option in LAX. Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Princess!!!

Edited by Murphey

I think you answered your own question!;) That being said, I only use Princess transfers if I am embarking or disembarking from somewhere foreign where I'm not as comfortable with the lay of the land. In the good ol' US of A, find a shuttle or service. Super Shuttle is a good option in LAX. Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Princess!!!

Well thank you!

And thanks for the tip, I just wondered if it might be better to do it through the cruise company as they guarantee you will get to the ship/airport on time. I will certainly look into Super Shuttle.

Well thank you!

And thanks for the tip, I just wondered if it might be better to do it through the cruise company as they guarantee you will get to the ship/airport on time. I will certainly look into Super Shuttle.

Super Shuttle has a good reputation and assuming you've left your self a reasonable time to get to the ship, you should be just fine. I think of transfers kind of the same way as private tours in port. These people are in business for a reason and if they did not get people to the ship on time, they'd be plumb out of work!!

I would suggest a Princess package for your first time and their shuttle air conditioned buses.

I have always used Princess transfers, until my last cruise a few weeks ago.

Ruby Princess - California Sampler.

I went in a day early and because I booked late, no Princess Packages available. I booked the hotel on my own and decided to grab a Super Shuttle as recommended on here. (Best Western Plus San Pedro)

For me, the Princess Package has spoiled me :)

Nice hotel, with bar and grill, nice breakfast and nice air conditioned buses to take you to the port.

The hotel I booked was not great, but it was "okay".

No restaurant in the hotel, only vending machines

Super Shuttle had an hour plus wait as they had some difficulties with two of their vans. So, I went over to Prime Time Shuttle at LAX.

The van was already crowded, so I squeezed in. There was room for one more and we circled the airport looking for more passengers. Took about 45 minutes. He would pull up and wait and turn the car off and it was hot. Van was old and seats were uncomfortable.

We then left the airport and took 4 different people to their homes.

I guess I assumed this was for hotel transportation.

I got on the Prime Shuttle at 5:30 pm and got to my hotel at San Pedro at 8:20 pm. The closest place to eat was a block away. Dark street, so I ate at the vending machines.

I'm glad others have had good experiences with Super Shuttle and Prime Time. But for me, my one and only time, was not good.

Hi everyone!

This is my first post ever so if I'm in the wrong place I apologize. In any case I am going on my first 2 cruises in the next few months. I cant wait!

I booked a coastal sampler on Princess, flying into LAX. My question is would I be better off booking the transfers through Princess or should I just use another company for half of the cost?

We've always taken Super Shuttle and if you have a AAA card, there is a $2 pp each way discount available.

For transportation each way with the discount, it is $15 pp each way. I can assure you that the Princess transfers in this port will cost you more. While they may make trips around the airport to fill the van, they will most likely get you to the port on time depending on your flight. I would always book it online ahead of time and it is fully refundable if you change your mind.

Others have noted they have had good luck with Prime Time as well .. I have never used them so cannot speak to them.

On the way back, if your flight time back out of LAX is kind of early, you might join the roll call to see if 3 others want to share a dedicated super shuttle van with you. It comes to $15.50 pp if you have 4 passengers booked and they make no other stops on the way back to the airport. LAX can take around an hour from the pier ... so extra stops and LA traffic can really mess you up with an early flight.

If your flight arrangements are flexible, I suggest flying in the day before and finding a nice hotel near the cruise port that has a shuttle service to the ship. Arrive rested and ready to have fun without the worry of flight delays. You can still use a ride service like Super shuttle to the hotel. The port boards here on CC are a great place for information.

Super Shuttle has a good reputation and assuming you've left your self a reasonable time to get to the ship, you should be just fine. I think of transfers kind of the same way as private tours in port. These people are in business for a reason and if they did not get people to the ship on time, they'd be plumb out of work!!

Well that's a very good way to look at it!!!

I plan to fly into LAX the same day of the cruise as my vacation time permits. The cruise is set to depart at 4pm and the flights I'm looking at are scheduled to arrive in LA at 10:45pm. I figure that should be enough time if I do a private shuttle to loop around the airport.

We've always taken Super Shuttle and if you have a AAA card, there is a $2 pp each way discount available.

For transportation each way with the discount, it is $15 pp each way. I can assure you that the Princess transfers in this port will cost you more. While they may make trips around the airport to fill the van, they will most likely get you to the port on time depending on your flight. I would always book it online ahead of time and it is fully refundable if you change your mind.

Others have noted they have had good luck with Prime Time as well .. I have never used them so cannot speak to them.

On the way back, if your flight time back out of LAX is kind of early, you might join the roll call to see if 3 others want to share a dedicated super shuttle van with you. It comes to $15.50 pp if you have 4 passengers booked and they make no other stops on the way back to the airport. LAX can take around an hour from the pier ... so extra stops and LA traffic can really mess you up with an early flight.

Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful :)

I would suggest a Princess package for your first time and their shuttle air conditioned buses.

I went in a day early and because I booked late, no Princess Packages available. I booked the hotel on my own and decided to grab a Super Shuttle as recommended on here. (Best Western Plus San Pedro)

Nice hotel, with bar and grill, nice breakfast and nice air conditioned buses to take you to the port.

Super Shuttle had an hour plus wait as they had some difficulties with two of their vans. So, I went over to Prime Time Shuttle at LAX.

The van was already crowded, so I squeezed in. There was room for one more and we circled the airport looking for more passengers. Took about 45 minutes. He would pull up and wait and turn the car off and it was hot. Van was old and seats were uncomfortable.

I got on the Prime Shuttle at 5:30 pm and got to my hotel at San Pedro at 8:20 pm. The closest place to eat was a block away. Dark street, so I ate at the vending machines.

I'm glad others have had good experiences with Super Shuttle and Prime Time. But for me, my one and only time, was not good.

Hmmm this certainly gives me something to think about. I'm definitely going to weigh the pros and cons with my husband. Thank you!

The Princess transfers have an advantage in luggage handling.

When you arrive at the airport, you are met by a Princess representative at baggage claim. You place your Princess luggage tags on your bags and give them the bags. You do not have to handle the bags when the bus gets to the port - Princess takes them to your cabin. If you take any other form of transportation, you will need to check your bags at the port.

The Princess transfer does offer some convenience if you want someone else to handle things for you. As stated by other posters, you can find something else for less money.

If you are arriving at LAX the same day of the cruise you may wish to use the Princess option, especially if the timing is tight. For your return flight from LAX better not to use the Princess transfer and use one of the group shuttles. They are all lined up at the San Pedro pier.

Thanks for all the answers we are hopefully taking a short cruise in November from LA and will go ahead and use princess transfers because we fly in the day of the cruise. I am blessed to also have a cruise out of Seattle next June where we also did the transfers because we booked our room through princess. For Seattle we fly in a day early. My question for Seattle is do they take the luggage from the airport the same way. Will I have all my luggage at the hotel or just our carry on. I want to make sure I pack correctly. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you are arriving at LAX the same day of the cruise you may wish to use the Princess option, especially if the timing is tight. For your return flight from LAX better not to use the Princess transfer and use one of the group shuttles. They are all lined up at the San Pedro pier.

We are considering doing this for the first time. I just need to be clear. Are you saying we could collect our bags and many available cabs will be waiting for us at the pier? I have read about pre ordering but not sure how I would figure a time? I wonder how long they wait for us to arrive? We have gotten off ship several times in the past at this port and did not notice the for hire shuttles. Where would I look for them? Thanks for your help.

I've had a similar experience with Super Shuttle. The driver actually pulled over and was bidding on jobs. Those drivers own their vehicle not Super Shuttle and they get paid for fares - so an empty van is NOT an option. I was the 1st one on and last one off.

Princess charges $19 per person each way. If it's $15 for the Super Shuttle, I'd rather go with Princess.

I've also had flight delays and was greeted by a limo. The bus had left and was gone for the night and the driver said the limo was cheaper to drive than a smaller bus. Another couple was scrambling around the airport as the hotel shuttle was done for the night. Princess treated me like a King that night! For 4 bucks!!

If I go with a few friends we'll split a cab as Princess and Super Shuttle both charge per person not destination. Once you get to 3 people, a $45 cab ride is a another option.

Thanks for all the answers we are hopefully taking a short cruise in November from LA and will go ahead and use princess transfers because we fly in the day of the cruise. I am blessed to also have a cruise out of Seattle next June where we also did the transfers because we booked our room through princess. For Seattle we fly in a day early. My question for Seattle is do they take the luggage from the airport the same way. Will I have all my luggage at the hotel or just our carry on. I want to make sure I pack correctly. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have not used a Princess pre-cruise hotel in Seattle, but I did use one in Rome last year - and Princess handled it perfectly. Since I flew in a few days early, we were the only ones with a Princess transfer to the hotel at that time. They still had a representative to meet us at baggage claim and they had a private car to take us to the hotel.

If you have a Princess pre-cruise hotel package, then Princess will meet you at the airport and take you - and all of your luggage - to the hotel. The Princess pre-cruise hotel package includes gratuities for hotel luggage handling to take the luggage to your room.

The Princess representative will tell you what time and where to meet your bus to the ship the next morning. You will put the Princess luggage tags on your luggage and they will take it to the ship - you will not have to handle your luggage at the port. You will need to keep anything you want to carry on to the ship with you.

You may want to repack for the carry on to the ship. For example, I generally take my toiletries with me to the ship so I can prepare for dinner if my luggage is late arriving - and Princess doesn't have any of the TSA restrictions on liquids in carryons.

I have used Princess transfers several times. In Vancouver the Princess rep took us to a taxi and sent us to our hotel (the Pan Pacific), access to the ship was an escalator).

In Houston, we had a luxury SUV transfer us tour hotel. The next day we went to the ship by tour bus and did not have to handle our bags until we go to the stateroom.

In FLL, we stayed at a hotel near the pier with no Princess transfers and took the hotel shuttle ($8 a head), which worked out well.

In London, we had a driver and a Mercedes Benz car take us to the hotel. When we departed for the port, they had a tour bus and again we didn't have to handle our bags until we arrived in our stateroom.

All in all, Princes transfers have been comfortable, convenient and affordable.

Hi everyone!

I will never, EVER book another Princess transfer. I've been burned twice now by them and that's 2 times too many. Go with Super Shuttle both ways. They are fast, efficient, and cheaper than Princess. No being herded onto a big bus, no being herded to a hotel in case there's a delayed boarding at the ship, then waiting another 3 hours at the cruise terminal and not being allowed to get off the bus! Such the thing happened to us. No bathroom facility on the bus, no water, and plenty of handicapped people on board. I got off the bus and confronted the bus driver. I gave her a choice. Either take us over to the terminal and drop us off or I call 911 and tell them we're being held hostage. Pick your poison lady. We were delivered promptly to the terminal and with special passes we were on the ship in less than 15 minutes.

P.S. This all happened at LAX.

Edited by elliair

I have read about pre ordering but not sure how I would figure a time? I wonder how long they wait for us to arrive? We have gotten off ship several times in the past at this port and did not notice the for hire shuttles. Where would I look for them? Thanks for your help.

Just give an approximate reasonable time. Whenever you get off the ship, just head to the next van that will be loading up.

I've had a similar experience with Super Shuttle. The driver actually pulled over and was bidding on jobs. Those drivers own their vehicle not Super Shuttle and they get paid for fares - so an empty van is NOT an option. I was the 1st one on and last one off.

Princess charges $19 per person each way. If it's $15 for the Super Shuttle, I'd rather go with Princess.

I've also had flight delays and was greeted by a limo. The bus had left and was gone for the night and the driver said the limo was cheaper to drive than a smaller bus. Another couple was scrambling around the airport as the hotel shuttle was done for the night. Princess treated me like a King that night! For 4 bucks!!

If I go with a few friends we'll split a cab as Princess and Super Shuttle both charge per person not destination. Once you get to 3 people, a $45 cab ride is a another option.

Princess is charging $34pp per direction on the particular cruise I booked so it would be about almost half price going through Super Shuttle, even if we chose to do the private Super Shuttle it would be less expensive.

My husband is leaning more toward the Princess transfers though since he doesn't want to have to worry about checking our luggage at the pier.

I'm working on getting more people to come along so maybe the taxi option could work out well :)

Edited by Superfishal

I will never, EVER book another Princess transfer. I've been burned twice now by them and that's 2 times too many. Go with Super Shuttle both ways. They are fast, efficient, and cheaper than Princess. No being herded onto a big bus, no being herded to a hotel in case there's a delayed boarding at the ship, then waiting another 3 hours at the cruise terminal and not being allowed to get off the bus! Such the thing happened to us. No bathroom facility on the bus, no water, and plenty of handicapped people on board. I got off the bus and confronted the bus driver. I gave her a choice. Either take us over to the terminal and drop us off or I call 911 and tell them we're being held hostage. Pick your poison lady. We were delivered promptly to the terminal and with special passes we were on the ship in less than 15 minutes.

P.S. This all happened at LAX.

Oh wow that sounds terrible :(

Oh wow that sounds terrible :(

I don't stay ticked off too long, but that experience was over the top. The other experience (first) wasn't as bad as the last. I thought the second time that I would give Princess a second chance and that was a big mistake! I called Super Shuttle direct and booked the shuttle as I had multiple Super Shuttle pickups for our previous cruise and our upcoming cruises. We also applied the tip to the fare so we wouldn't be juggling the money along with our luggage. Works out good. I think Princess is a rip off in that department. They have you coming and going. When debarking, you're herded into a lounge waiting to get off the ship. We self embark, walk down to where the Super Shuttle is, board and leave. Not so with Princess as you will wait and wait and wait until they have a full bus. If you're handicapped you will have trouble.