One week pre-cruise: what are your traditions?

calisilent

This is an interesting question, and it's one that I don't have a good answer to this time. In the past, my pre-cruise tradition has been frantically chasing around getting things set up work-wise. I had to notify customers, arrange for a back up person to support customer websites, and leave instructions for both customers and back up person. This is our first cruise since I'm about 90% retired. There's not a lot I need to do on the work side of things. I guess I need to figure out a new tradition? :confused:

We go out to dinner the night before so there's no dishes in the dishwasher. I'm 1/2 packed for our upcoming cruise. Dry cleaning is at the laundry, and everything is pretty much narrowed down. We're going on the Panama Canal cruise so we'll be doing laundry on board so we won't pack as much. One time we left for a cruise and left the front door unlocked! No one came in, nothing missing.:eek:

I had a cat that would bury herself under clothes in my suitcase when I started packing. She almost made it to St Thomas once

~~ :D I always took a bit of my cat with me -- the cat hairs she left when she was trying to pack herself!

LuLu

A few weeks before our last Princess cruise I watched a lot of reruns of the old Love Boat show. It really got me in the mood for cruising! Especially because we were sailing the Regal and that is a very Love Boat oriented ship, with the godparents and the horn and all. Then I discovered you can watch all the Love Boat you want in your cabin! Which I never got a chance to do. So watching the Love Boat is now something I do in anticipation of an upcoming cruise.

What are my pre cruise rituals?--My husband and I like to envision what the cruise will be like. We talk about how we will spend each day. Of course we never end up doing all that we plan, we just live in the moment.--When sailing a new ship we will watch videos on You Tube that people post. We have a mixed CD of Caribbean music that we listen to when driving to the port. Favorite pre cruise/vacation movies include Chevy Chase's Vacation and Captain Ron. And yes like everyone else I start packing a few weeks in advance, always vowing to pack lighter each time and always over pack.--Also forgot to mention I love being on cruise critic message board.

Happy Sailing to All and to all a Good Cruise.

I have my pre-cruise pedicure, inevitably run to Target one more time late the night before departing despite having a meticulous packing spreadsheet, shut down the kitchen the day before to keep it clean, have my fav Mexican food for our last dinner, charge every electronic decide, leave 1 out of 4 suitcases for DH, nag him to pack early, so I can get a good night's sleep (never happens, but I can try!), and then last but not least, weigh our bags to usually end up with 1 or 2 over weight and then start peeling out unnecessaries to weight in right at 49.5 pounds apiece! Oh I'm giddy just thinking about the week before!! Less than 2 months to go! [emoji568]

Because we currently reside in the northeast and generally cruise in winter to warmer climes, our biggest precruise tradition has been watching the weather. We always fly in at least 2 days prior, to give ourselves leeway in case of weather issues with flights, but last winter we had to drive down to Baltimore (5 hours south) another day earlier due to a 3 day storm. If we missed our flight out of Miami we would have missed our precruise excursion to Iguassu Falls.

A few weeks before our last Princess cruise I watched a lot of reruns of the old Love Boat show. It really got me in the mood for cruising! Especially because we were sailing the Regal and that is a very Love Boat oriented ship, with the godparents and the horn and all. Then I discovered you can watch all the Love Boat you want in your cabin! Which I never got a chance to do. So watching the Love Boat is now something I do in anticipation of an upcoming cruise.

Oh, wow! DH and I have been recording and watching Love Boat episodes for the last couple of months! So much fun! I didn't know they would be on the cabin TV! I'm very excited to see some of the fun details Princess has planned for cruising during the 50th anniversary!

Edited by calisilent