One week pre-cruise: what are your traditions?

calisilent

One week from today DH and I are sailing on the Ruby! I love being in the single digit countdown. Today we watched Ruby sail away on the LA webcam, knowing that the next time she returns to that port it will be to pick us up!!!

Just for a fun thread, What are your pre-cruise traditions? We watch "Out to Sea" with Jack Lemmon and Walter Mathow.

My big pre-cruise tradition is making sure the clothes that need it are at the dry cleaners in plenty of time, and for the rest of my clothes, doing laundry. Also making sure everything I need is either printed out and gather everything and passport into my carry-on bag. Then the afternoon before leaving I pack.

Edited by Treven

I'm not certain if it fits into the category of tradition, but after more than 20 cruises, it is certainly pattern of behavior.

I tend to make myself scarce. I know my wife is wants to foist some of her stuff into my suitcase.

We are typically gone for 5-9 weeks and because there is usually some sort of repositioning involved, there is a range of climatic conditions with the accompanying wardrobe adjustments. Somehow, I manage to get by with 3/4 of a suitcase, except for my tux in the garment bag, and she always manages to spill out of her 3 containers into whatever I have packed.

In the evenings, on board, she is always dressed to the nines. Even after 49 year together, I still think she is gorgeous. However, pre-cruise there is a degree of tension in the house as I try to impose a limit on what "needs" to be taken. I suppose the fundamental problem is a difference how each of us defines "needs."

At a week out, DW starts to narrow down the 200 outfits and 30 pairs of shoes and sandals that are neatly laid out in four rooms in the house. On the last day, I gather 7 polos, 3 shorts, 2 khakis, my tux, a pair of sandals and a pair of dress shoes and I get hollered at for packing too much....go figure!

Safe journeys. Paul

Forgot: 8 swim suits to my 1...

Edited by pjrockman

At a week out, DW starts to narrow down the 200 outfits and 30 pairs of shoes and sandals that are neatly laid out in four rooms in the house. On the last day, I gather 7 polos, 3 shorts, 2 khakis, my tux, a pair of sandals and a pair of dress shoes and I get hollered at for packing too much....go figure!

Safe journeys. Paul

You win the Internets today.

Awesome.

I try to be ready two weeks ahead. Why? So I can sleep as much as possible because I cannot stand the anxiousness during my awake periods the week before.

By the way. It good to see you posting. I have been thinking about you all lately, especially during the football season when I hear Westwood one.

Tough to be perfect? And just an hour or so ago, you were castigating someone for castigation....

Pair*

Um, I thought the post was funny. I didn't read it as serious ;). Edited by Nezmo

Especially in the last week, I track our ship multiple times a day using one of those marine traffic web-sites. Gotta make sure she's heading to our port! I then cross-reference the information with the Bridge Cam.

The guest room in our home becomes a staging area clothes and other cruise items.

DW sends extremely detailed itinerary, contact and emergency information to friends and family in case disaster strikes.

I try to be ready two weeks ahead. Why? So I can sleep as much as possible because I cannot stand the anxiousness during my awake periods the week before.

By the way. It good to see you posting. I have been thinking about you all lately, especially during the football season when I hear Westwood one.

It's so fun to see all the traditions.... I can especially relate to some sleepless nights as I tend to go over my "mental lists" for packing, paying, and itineraries at night when I'm supposed to sleep!

It's great to see you posting AZ! When do you and your wife cruise next?

Especially in the last week, I track our ship multiple times a day using one of those marine traffic web-sites. Gotta make sure she's heading to our port! I then cross-reference the information with the Bridge Cam.

The guest room in our home becomes a staging area clothes and other cruise items.

DW sends extremely detailed itinerary, contact and emergency information to friends and family in case disaster strikes.

Haha! I too become a ship stalker and track our ship diligently!

I tend to visit Cruise Personalizer for as long as I can. Just in case the Upgrade Fairy makes a last minute visit. [emoji6]

I agree! I was hoping for that happy surprise too! Two years ago DH and I were upgraded from a mini suite to a full suite on the Golden Princess. We didn't find out till we checked in at the port!

I have been looking but the web site has shown a sold out cruise on the Ruby for about three weeks now. I'm just happy to go and booked a great balcony cabin for us that I'm excited to spend the week enjoying!

It's so fun to see all the traditions.... I can especially relate to some sleepless nights as I tend to go over my "mental lists" for packing, paying, and itineraries at night when I'm supposed to sleep!

It's great to see you posting AZ! When do you and your wife cruise next?

We are doing a 7 day Mexican Rivera in February. It will be our third. We take are adult children on this trip. I was going to go to Japan, but we still had one son to take and this was the best time for him. I will be his and his wife's first cruise and first real vacation outside Nebraska or Colorado.

Well, let's see. We leave in two weeks for the beginning of the trip. There is a suitcase downstairs for the miscellaneous stuff. Mostly that will be stuff we are leaving in Vancouver and just plain dumb stuff. There is a suitcase upstairs which will be filled with clothes. We get one bag each free because of AA benefits.

My medical bag is laid out and waiting for drugs, vitamins and then "the equipment" which will go in last minute. This is another free bag due to the ADA rules.

The first carry on is being filled with electronics and camera stuff. The second one will be filled with a computer and a few other things. We have paperwork that needs to go and not get lost.

One cruise my DH packed his clothes. I stopped many moons ago when he complained I didn't pack the right socks to go with his suit. Are you serious? Now he packs his own clothes. I now make him try on all his clothes in advance after a cruise where over 75% of the clothes her brought he was too fat to fit into. :rolleyes:. If you haven't worn it in over two years put those pants on and see if you can button them!

Normally we dress up on formal and semi formal but this trip is different. First, it is only a 4 day cruise. We are also spending 4 days in Vancouver before the cruise. Those days will be casual and so will most of our cruise. My next cruise in April I will be taking my scooter. Not sure which suitcase I'm putting that in LOL.

Normally I start packing in my mind as soon as I book a cruise and then I obsessing. I put a suitcase in the spare bedroom and throw stuff in for months. Wait, you said a week? Oh well.

"One week pre-cruise: what are your traditions?"

In our case, get cloths, shoes, coats (if needed) and other accessories (clothing items,etc.), cameras, laptop, and stuff needed for our electronics all gathered in some place that we will be sure to pack them. Why not grab some suitcases and load them up in advance? One word, cats. They get pretty upset when those suitcases show up. I would guess that anyone with four legged furry creatures (cats, dogs, whatever) as part of their household know the way this works.

Edited by ar1950

Fun question.

One week pre-cruise: what are your traditions?

Why not grab some suitcases and load them up in advance? One word, cats. They get pretty upset when those suitcases show up. I would guess that anyone with four legged furry creatures (cats, dogs, whatever) as part of their household know the way this works.

Agreed....unsure how quotes work...particularly since have supercharged Black Russian in me following a solo day watching four grandchildren.

Cats...what fun they had getting into the suitcases as kittens...romping from one to the other; real cat frolicking fun. Then, they come to realize hummm...suitcases, not good.... I will see the neighbors more without the comfort of a warm bed next to that nice, yet irrelevant, human at night. Then, old age...time to hide when the dreaded soft boxes with zippers come out. It means a prolonged visit to the kennel, because my homebodies think I am too old to fend for myself outdoors. So we humans pack, while the cat is outside pretending to hunt, trapping snails because, with advanced-age deteriorating vision, they thought it was a mouse.

Advice...hide the suitcases well, and take the old girl to the kennel a day early...because, guaranteed...you will not find her the day you plan to leave.

Going up and down the stairs where the spare bed is, and deciding what

I can do without, at the moment it's 5 weeks before our cruise and the

bed is already protesting at the weight.:)

The other thing is that I insist DH takes me out to dinner the night before,

so that I don't have to use the old grey matter.:D:D

Safe journeys. Paul

Dang, you beat me to it.....:D:D:D

Bob

In our case, get cloths, shoes, coats (if needed) and other accessories (clothing items,etc.), cameras, laptop, and stuff needed for our electronics all gathered in some place that we will be sure to pack them. Why not grab some suitcases and load them up in advance? One word, cats. They get pretty upset when those suitcases show up. I would guess that anyone with four legged furry creatures (cats, dogs, whatever) as part of their household know the way this works.

I had a cat that would bury herself under clothes in my suitcase when I started packing. She almost made it to St Thomas once

We also try to watch the ship sail away knowing that the next time it returns, we will either be watching it from the pier sideline or from our hotel room.

I love this! (and yes I'm going to steal it:D)

This is so much better than my tradition of working 40 extra hours to clear off my desk (I swear my clients can smell it when I am going on vacation) and then packing and unpacking multiple times because I really believe every time that, this time I am going to pack light. It hasn't happened yet, but it could right?

I do indeed know how the cat thing works!

Our cat Bella knows that when she sees the suit cases come out we are leaving the next day. She works very hard to get inside the suitcase, or plant herself on top of the stack of clothing we are in the midst of folding. The next day as we are getting ready to leave, she sits right by the front door and looks at us with the most pitiful little face she can muster. It always takes an extra 15 minutes of petting and reassurance that we are coming home and the pet sitter will be taking very good care of her. :)

Cats!

Gather everything in the sewing room. Suitcases, electronics, clothing, etc.

Even after two weeks of "making sure" we had everything we realized on our way to the port on our last cruise that we had both forgotten to put the camera in the pile. D'Oh! 17 day Panama Canal cruise with only our phones as cameras.

Ah, well. It was a great cruise anyway and now we don't have a bazillion pictures to weed out, name, etc.