Is it possible to buy Princess Travel insruance after the final payment?

ALB0711

Wondering if anyone has been able to buy travel insurance either through Princess or independently after final has been made? We sail in about 45 days and my mother in-law has been hospitalized. While we hope she will be fine, we do worry that we'll need to cancel if she gets worse.

I know I should have done this at booking, but didn't foresee any chance of this happening.

Edited by ALB0711

Just give Princess a call for an accurate answer to your questions.

We prefer the option of choosing the policy that fits our needs. Have you looked at brokers like insuremytrip or tripinsurancestore ? With a phone call they can guide you to the best policy for your needs. And yes, there are policies you can buy after final payment.

Edited by eandj

You have to be able to travel at the time the policy is purchased. If MIL is in the hospital at the time the policy is purchased it may not be pre-existing that you should be concerned about.

Ask the right questions before purchasing.

The Princess Travel Protection program, including cancellation coverage or any-reason credit must be purchased at or before final payment.

A passenger can purchase just the travel medical portion (no cancellation) after final payment, but in the case of the OP, the mother's condition is excluded as pre-existing, so you could not even use it for trip interruption. Sorry :(.

Edited by cherylandtk

You should be able to buy a 3rd party insurance with cancel for any reason which would pay you back in cash if you cancel but these policies often cost 1/3 (or more) the cost of the trip. They are very expensive.

You must buy Princess's insurance at final payment.

You should be able to buy a 3rd party insurance with cancel for any reason which would pay you back in cash if you cancel but these policies often cost 1/3 (or more) the cost of the trip. They are very expensive.

Unfortunately, third party CFAR plans must be purchased within 14-30 days after initial deposit. Same as one must for covering PEC.

Since your MIL has already been hospitalized, I would suggest inquiring if the insurance will cover a cancellation if she gets worse. It might be considered a pre-existing condition.

I doubt any insurance company will insure any preexisting condition if the condition happened prior to final payment or is in the act of it already happening. That's like a storm is coming and a flood is for sure and getting flood insurance hours before the event. I think there's a waiting period for events like that. Another case in point of why travel insurance is so important when you book a vacation. No lectures....

P.S. We booked insurance through Travel Guard and I think we had to buy the insurance within so many days of booking the cruise. I'm thinking within 10 days. When we book, I'm on the computer booking the insurance. Maybe go to the Travel Guard website and see if they have such a policy for you. Good luck.

Edited by elliair

Ask the right questions before purchasing.

This is the KEY! Call one of the companies I named and talk to a rep. Be honest and don't hide the facts. They need to know every detail to make sure you will be covered.

Not sure of the cost of the trip for you. You have to decide if it is worth it to spend for the cancel for any reason or take your chances and self insure. It IS very expensive. But worth it if the trip expenses are very high.

Thanks for all the advice CC'ers.

Mother in-law isn't going on the cruise, we are worried we'll need to cancel if she gets worse and we need to be with her.

I believe if we had a policy, this would be the "cancel for any reason" provision. and all the policies I've looked at so far require purchase within a week or two of final payment.

I've got a call into my TA, he's with one of the bigger cruise agencies. I'll let you all know what if anything he comes up with anything.

Unfortunately, third party CFAR plans must be purchased within 14-30 days after initial deposit. Same as one must for covering PEC.

There are some that do allow it. I know someone who bought it after final payment and used it at the last minute.

Remember - not all policies are listed on insuremytrip, etc... Some policies are written special for certain travel agencies.

Also, the policy I buy at final payment covers pre-existing condition clause (allianz). I don't have to buy it within 2 weeks of deposit, I pay at final payment. It was written specifically for my travel agency. I have never seen an Allianz policy posted on websites that is like my travel agencies. Large travel agencies negotiate with insurance companies and have policies written that are unique. It is the power of large agencies.

Edited by Coral

Coral, thanks for that. I know one publicly available that allows purchase at or before final payment (CSA) for PEC, but it does not have CFAR coverage. Is your Allianz policy (custom from your travel agency) both PEC and CFAR? Is that the one your friend used?

Wondering if anyone has been able to buy travel insurance either through Princess or independently after final has been made? We sail in about 45 days and my mother in-law has been hospitalized. While we hope she will be fine, we do worry that we'll need to cancel if she gets worse.

I know I should have done this at booking, but didn't foresee any chance of this happening.

If you go to "Insure my trip", you can find a "cancel for any reason" policy...which I believe means you can cancel up to 2 days before your trip and get most of your money back. Check it out and check the box that says "cancel for any reason" to find the right policy!

Good luck and lets us know how you made out!

You should check with your credit card you used to pay for the cruise. I know some of the higher level ones provide insurance that my cover this.

This is a great idea! Hopefully this works for the OP. Even some basic cards cover this.

Edited by Coral

Coral, thanks for that. I know one publicly available that allows purchase at or before final payment (CSA) for PEC, but it does not have CFAR coverage. Is your Allianz policy (custom from your travel agency) both PEC and CFAR? Is that the one your friend used?

No - my Allianz policy can be bought at final payment and covers PEC, but not CFAR. Though it has a job clause if my boss says I can't go due to my job....

I don't remember the name of the company my friend used - I will check with them. I just know they had something similar happen. They paid a ton for the cancel for any reason as it provided cash and they bought it after final payment.

Edited by Coral

My friend bought a Travelex/travelmax policy that included CFAR and would provide 75% of his money back if he cancelled. He booked the cruise late, after final payment so he did not have a deposit months ago. He was able to buy it up until 30 days after he purchased the cruise. -- I think the key to this situation was that he did not have a deposit for months previously.

Edited by Coral

So you are right --- My friend bought his policy after final payment but it was within 30 days of the time that he paid for the cruise. No deposit previously as this cruise was bought last minute.

Edited by Coral

Here's what may be a dumb question....If you purchased Princess insurance at the time of booking, but cancel prior to final payment.....do you forfeit your insurance payment?

It gets refunded as you wouldn't need it since you can cancel without penalty before final... as long as you don't have a non-refundable deposit. Then you can either use the insurance for that or just forfeit the deposit.

Jewelsea, at all? I know they don't sell anything on Flash Fares, but the current contract does still include wording about the effective date when purchased after final payment, but that doesn't mean they actually still sell it. (And I have never tried purchasing it then...so am relying on the knowledge of others..like you..to keep current)