Spinnaker Lounge Being Removed From All Ships????

emilysmom97

You're right, my mistake. The bartender on the Breakaway did say that eventually the Spinnaker will be removed on all ships. Could it be rumor, maybe but it does seem that when ships go into dry dock, they are removing the Spinnaker...Dawn and Sun.

You actually think some random bartender on a ship knows what NCL is planning for ships in the years ahead? Really?

Most crew I speak to on the ship have a difficult time telling me how to get to the buffet.

Could it be rumor, maybe but it does seem that when ships go into dry dock, they are removing the Spinnaker

No it does not seem like it. As already said, all other ships you're referring to already have been on drydock since the lounge on Dawn and Star was moved.

Edited by Demonyte

I hate having the shows in the atrium on the away class ships. Above the Atrium is O'Sheehan's which has an air hockey table. I'm convinced the entire area was acoustically designed to maximize the air hockey sound carry throughout O'Sheehan's and the Atrium. LOL The air hockey noise was very annoying during the Getaway Technical show with the Captain. I was amazed how well the sound carried. They need to move the air hockey table to a better area or close it during presentations.

But a plus side may be that people who are just strolling through are "forced" to get involved and may have a higher turnout per show than if they held them in a different closed off venue

This happened when I was on the Breakaway in which events with small turnouts would become bigger as the host would try to get others into it.

I agree. We do not like certain events being held in the atrium - way to small.

But on a negative side, I won't participate in some events because I do not like being on display. I love the dance lessons & events and go to all on the jewel class ships, but not on the BA-due to being "on display " in the atrium for the whole ship (and bar area on top ) to see. I like being entertained on the ship, not being the entertainment. LOL . Bliss would be much better for these events.

Safe sailing

I got used to being on display though I know I still prefer not to be on display (like when events are held in Spice H2O). When you feel a lot of eyes watching you from the 2 story atrium, it's just like omg stage fright!! At least for the Spinnaker Lounge, I can just turn my back against everyone :p

But the discussion is about activities having to be scheduled in the Atrium because there is no big public lounge on some ships. This complaint is not valid for the Star and Dawn. They have the saddest Spinnaker Lounges in the fleet, but they still have one.

Yes, not enough windows overlooking the ocean like where the spinnaker used to be. The best ones are placed near the top deck at the front with large windows overlooking the ocean.

We sailed on the Star a number of times, both before and after they moved the Spinnaker Lounge aft and The Blue Lagoon to deck 8. it was on deck 7 where the photo shop is now.

We were just on the Dawn and was informed by the Hotel Director at the meet and greet that The Pearly King Pub is to be turned into a wine bar during the next dry docking. I guess this could happen on the Star also. I enjoyed the pub and will be sad to see it go.

We were just on the Dawn and was informed by the Hotel Director at the meet and greet that The Pearly King Pub is to be turned into a wine bar during the next dry docking. I guess this could happen on the Star also. I enjoyed the pub and will be sad to see it go.

The pub on Star was already converted to new "5 o'Clock Somewhere" bar earlier this year.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_032415

We sailed on the Star a number of times, both before and after they moved the Spinnaker Lounge aft and The Blue Lagoon to deck 8. it was on deck 7 where the photo shop is now.

:mad: I love Pearly Kings just the way it is. We are on the Dawn next month and booked October, 2016. Hopefully it will still be a fun meeting place!!

The pub on Star was already converted to new "5 o'Clock Somewhere" bar earlier this year.

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_032415

Thanks for the info, we have not been on the Star for a year or so. Have you sailed on her since the changes? It could be a positive move, I guess it will still be a bar to hang out and meet folks.

Edited by armwinder

Regarding the Sun, it does not have a Spinnaker lounge but rather the Observation Lounge at the front of the ship. I was just on it for the last Alaska trip of the season and during the Captain/Hotel Director Q&A, I asked specifically about the upcoming dry dock and if the Observation lounge would be sacrificed. They both said no, the Observation lounge would not be going anywhere. They said that some ships had had the Spinnaker converted to rooms to their detriment and that seemed to indicate that this sort of nonsense would not be carried forward.

The Observation lounge on the Sun was awesome and we also spent a lot of time in the Spinnaker on the Pearl. With the smaller ships, the Atrium is just not large enough to support big group activities and it would make zero sense to get rid of the Spinnaker.

Jen

Aww you know what I mean...the new Spinnaker is sad. The Jewel class Spinnakers are amazing with the windows.

No...I don't know what you mean, only what you wrote. Know what I mean?

If the Spinnaker's were all that amazing, more people would have used them... which would have prevented NCL from moving them so they could convert the space to one that is more revenue-positive.

Thanks for the info, we have not been on the Star for a year or so. Have you sailed on her since the changes? It could be a positive move, I guess it will still be a bar to hang out and meet folks.

Hey Bryan,

We were on the Star in May after her dry dock changes. The old pub area is brighter and feels like it has a bit more seating but isn't as comfy or cozy as before. Moderno was moved up to 13 and O'Sheehan's pub is on both sides on deck 8. It has a bar in the middle. Some windows were added to the back section of the Spinnaker which helped that dark space. The photo spot is all high tech and modern. The atrium was also spiffed up. The Star looked good.

Beverly

If the Spinnaker's were all that amazing, more people would have used them... which would have prevented NCL from moving them so they could convert the space to one that is more revenue-positive.

With this I have to disagree - I'd say that passengers could have done nothing to prevent adding suites there. The bar in Spinnaker Lounge is closed most of the time, so whenever there are no activities, it simply does not generate revenue no matter how many people liked to spend their day there lounging and reading etc.

With this I have to disagree - I'd say that passengers could have done nothing to prevent adding suites there. The bar in Spinnaker Lounge is closed most of the time, so whenever there are no activities, it simply does not generate revenue no matter how many people liked to spend their day there lounging and reading etc.

Well, that is your opinion and you are more than welcome to express it. However, I've discussed it with some of people who were involved in the decision process and their insight is nothing like your own.

Hey Bryan,

We were on the Star in May after her dry dock changes. The old pub area is brighter and feels like it has a bit more seating but isn't as comfy or cozy as before. Moderno was moved up to 13 and O'Sheehan's pub is on both sides on deck 8. It has a bar in the middle. Some windows were added to the back section of the Spinnaker which helped that dark space. The photo spot is all high tech and modern. The atrium was also spiffed up. The Star looked good.

Beverly

Thanks Beverly; How are things? The cruise on the Dawn was great, a bit of a problem disembarking in Quebec as the tide was high, each passenger had help with their luggage going down the gangway. Nice to hear the Star is looking good, she was getting a bit run down in places.

We are not cruising until next March on the Sun for the South America run, unless something comes up.

Bryan

Thanks Beverly; How are things? We are not cruising until next March on the Sun for the South America run, unless something comes up. Bryan

All is well here. I'm on the Pearl in two weeks for a 4 night get away. I was on the Pearl last month and really liked the ship. I agree with the pp that the Spinnaker will stay just as it is on the Pearl. All the Jewel class ships have a good number of suites and a Haven. I'm looking forward to seeing the Sun in January. I've also heard that the forward observation lounge will stay as it is after the April dry dock. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they figured out a way to convert some of the balcony or mini cabins into full suites.

No...I don't know what you mean, only what you wrote. Know what I mean?

I have to agree. The old Spinnakers were so underutilized that it made no sense to lose all the space for little use.

One of the HD's told me that outside of some night time entertainment, the other times were about 5% utilized. Most days the same 15 or 20 people used it a their personal lounge area. The couldn't even open the bar most times because there were too few people. NCL saw the sense in making it a lot of great rooms with wonderful views and let the "new" Spinnakers serve in it's new location. Had it been a heavily utilized, revenue generating space it would still be in it's original spot.

Was just on the Dawn last week and the Spinnaker lounge was used for multiple events throughout the cruise.

- all of the small shows (newlywed games, second stage production, broadway cabaret, etc)

- nightly dance/club lounge

- the white hot party (we had bad weather and could not have it on the pool deck)

- bingo

So where will those events go? The only other large space would be the Stardust theater but that was filled with shows every night at the 7:00pm and 9:30pm slots. Also, during the day the theater is used for reherseals, playing movies, and kids events.

I am not a huge fan of them removing the Spinnaker for Haven suites. I feel like it's just taking away another place (a large venue) for the passengers to go. And on top of it, adding suites will just add more passengers. I do get it for business purposes but it's sad because they seem to be turning the smaller ships into mega-ship type practice.

I have to agree. The old Spinnakers were so underutilized that it made no sense to lose all the space for little use.

One of the HD's told me that outside of some night time entertainment, the other times were about 5% utilized. Most days the same 15 or 20 people used it a their personal lounge area. The couldn't even open the bar most times because there were too few people. NCL saw the sense in making it a lot of great rooms with wonderful views and let the "new" Spinnakers serve in it's new location. Had it been a heavily utilized, revenue generating space it would still be in it's original spot.

But which came first, the chicken or the egg? Maybe people stopped using the lounge because NCL stopped scheduling activities/entertainment there, not the other way around. Did they stop opening the bar because there were too few people, or did people stop coming because the bar was never open?

How much money does that space make now as additional premium cabins on every cruise? I don't think the Spinnaker Lounge could ever realistically be expected to bring in the same profits through bar sales. Looking at it another way, taking Spinnaker away (or moving into a dark basement) doesn't affect overall bar sales on board, as long as people still have a sufficient choice of bars/lounges around the ship. Adding cabins adds revenue, and adding Haven suites is even better.

I have no doubt that if you ask them, NCL will say that this is what passengers wanted, or what they deserved. I'm not so sure about that, but I am sure that NCL wanted it, too.

Was just on the Dawn last week and the Spinnaker lounge was used for multiple events throughout the cruise.

- all of the small shows (newlywed games, second stage production, broadway cabaret, etc)

- nightly dance/club lounge

- the white hot party (we had bad weather and could not have it on the pool deck)

- bingo

So where will those events go? The only other large space would be the Stardust theater but that was filled with shows every night at the 7:00pm and 9:30pm slots. Also, during the day the theater is used for reherseals, playing movies, and kids events.

I am not a huge fan of them removing the Spinnaker for Haven suites. I feel like it's just taking away another place (a large venue) for the passengers to go. And on top of it, adding suites will just add more passengers. I do get it for business purposes but it's sad because they seem to be turning the smaller ships into mega-ship type practice.

Spinnaker on the Star and the Dawn was already moved from deck 12 forward to the current location on these ships. Suites were put into the OLD Spinnaker space on these ships. We've sailed on the Star in family suites both with and without balcony. We're booked for Australia in 2017 in a family suite on the Star. I don't love the new Spinnaker location but do love the family suites :)

Spinnaker on the Star and the Dawn was already moved from deck 12 forward to the current location on these ships. Suites were put into the OLD Spinnaker space on these ships. We've sailed on the Star in family suites both with and without balcony. We're booked for Australia in 2017 in a family suite on the Star. I don't love the new Spinnaker location but do love the family suites :)

Oh that's good to know! Do you think that the lounge will remain then on the Star and Dawn? I hope so as I plan on doing the first cruise to Bermuda next year back on the Dawn. :p:)

Oh that's good to know! Do you think that the lounge will remain then on the Star and Dawn? I hope so as I plan on doing the first cruise to Bermuda next year back on the Dawn. :p:)

They cannot and will not remove the Spinnaker on the Star and Dawn. It's about the only place they have available for all the events not held in the theater.

They cannot and will not remove the Spinnaker on the Star and Dawn. It's about the only place they have available for all the events not held in the theater.

Spinnaker used to be up on the top deck at the front of the ship with large windows and fantastic ocean views. These areas were taken out for suites, removed and placed mid ship in the smaller lounges - maybe those areas were called Dazzles/ unsure of the exact names. They used to have two entertainment areas - similar to the Jewel class ships. Now Star and Dawn only have one area. Yes they can't remove the observatory or Spinnaker area because they already have. The fear I guess is that they will do the same to the Jewel class ships and some of the other ships eg the Sun that have these wonderful areas.