Do people actually pay full price for suites?

Interesting thread - I've always wondered as well. These loft suites seem to be booked every cruise.

It Doesnt appear that anyone here is spending that kind of money.

For curiosity I looked up Harmony April 1. Crown loft is 15k, Sky loft is 25k - better than the OP is seeing....but still insane IMHO.

I prefer to cruise more often and be away from my room.

A fellow cruiser did see a celebrity family (Neil Patrick Harris) on one of their cruises. I could imagine he might need that type of room as a getaway.

I just went to allure and oasis of the seas for next summer and did a booking for royal loft suite 34,000 about for 2 people for 7 days? lmao I think If I had that kind of money for a 7 day cruise I would br spending it elsewhere...or maybe thats just me?

That is absolutely crazy. You can get a Penthouse suite on Regents for 10 nights, all inclusive including airfare, for almost 15 grand less than that and have much better food, service, all you can drink and a WHOLE lot less people to deal with.

I dont see how people justify paying those prices on a mass market cruise line. I dont care what ship it is. To each their own though :) For me personally, I would rather do 17 two thousand dollar cruises.

Edited by ryano

I enjoy traveling in a suite, but have not booked Allure or oasis since there suites are not in my price range, last cruise and next cruise we paid about 1600 a piece for a GS for 7 day cruise and have a 12 day Europe for about 7k for both of us also in a GS

I just went to allure and oasis of the seas for next summer and did a booking for royal loft suite 34,000 about for 2 people for 7 days? lmao I think If I had that kind of money for a 7 day cruise I would br spending it elsewhere...or maybe thats just me?

There are people for whom $34K is just no big deal. I was watching a show about resorts in the Maldives, and several were $20K-ish a week, and one was $100K per week.

I imagine that a lot of the time, the cruise lines upsell people into these suites for what's a lower figure, and so a "bargain". If you saw that suite for $34K and thought "That's nuts!", but were spending say $9K on another suite, and they called and said you could have the Ultimate Platinum Titanium Suite for only another $9K, maybe you'd go for it for the "savings" when you'd never have spent $18K to begin with? And if some Saudi prince books it for $34K, it's all a win anyway?

That is absolutely crazy. You can get a Penthouse suite on Regents for 10 nights, all inclusive including airfare, for almost 15 grand less than that and have much better food, service, all you can drink and a WHOLE lot less people to deal with.

I dont see how people justify paying those prices on a mass market cruise line. I dont care what ship it is. To each their own though :) For me personally, I would rather do 17 two thousand dollar cruises.

Could be the patriarch of a large group.

lmao I think If I had that kind of money for a 7 day cruise I would br spending it elsewhere...or maybe thats just me?

Just keep in mind that Oprah once booked the entire Oasis. I'm sure they threw in a free luggage tag and keychain.

Interesting thread - I've always wondered as well. These loft suites seem to be booked every cruise.

For curiosity I looked up Harmony April 1. Crown loft is 15k, Sky loft is 25k - better than the OP is seeing....but still insane IMHO.

A fellow cruiser did see a celebrity family (Neil Patrick Harris) on one of their cruises. I could imagine he might need that type of room as a getaway.

Last December, I booked a CLS on Oasis for ~$5000 total and an Owners suite on Allure for ~$5250. There are no CLS left for my cruise, but the GS is over $6500. Last I checked the Owner's Suite there was one left for $14,500.

I think it's all relative and what you're willing to pay for in return for what you're getting. We're sailing on the Anthem next year out of NJ (12 night Western Caribbean), and we booked a Sky Loft to take advantage of, and experience, their new Royal Suite Class program.

Having sailed in a Haven suite on NCL, I can definitely say that it was worth the extra cost.

You do have to compare apples to apples though, and look for the good rates...

Edited by centrevillecruisers

We feel pretty extravagant, and lucky, buying a regular balcony cabin! :D

Same here! When I told my family I had a balcony cabin, everyone was like "Ooooh!"...followed by..."That's just a waste of money. You don't need a balcony. You're never in the room!"

I "splurged" for a JS next month. :D

It's all relative...

I often wonder this myself. I would never pay that or anywhere even close to that but everyone has something they spend $ on that others wouldn't.

i recently got off of independence and their is a dude there that cruises on the ship every week of the year. he chooses a new ship each year and stays on the ship the entire year. its bananas. he has been doing it for the past 15 or 16 years. it boggles my mind.

Feasible for sure. Could be fun! Wonder what the cost would be, though. Probably $60k a year, ouch.

he said it ran him about 80k per year. but keep in mind that is with pinnacle discounts and whatever other discounts he has. him room has his name on the door and he has his own personal cabin stewards. its crazy.

5k for two seems pretty common for GS or OS Freedom class or Explorer class ships. We found a Crown Loft on Harmony Feb 2017 when the schedule first came out. 5K for 7 nights (total for two people) - snatched that up fast!

In the past few years I have started to fly long haul in Business Class. It's quite a price jump but when you are going to be travelling for almost a day in the air it is worth it. As an exercise I looked back at the cost of fares when I first paid for return flights on the same route. The Economy tickets then would cost more than Business in today's money. I think the same may apply to cruising.

We have a JS for 16 days coming up as a first cruise. I just did the conversion and it's costing us US$3600 including tips. The choice we had was that or an Inside Cabin at about US$2700. It looked like a good price so I grabbed it.

As a person who spends a lot of their life in the aviation community, I'm not surprised by the amount of wealth in this world. I see people every day who have spent $25M on their personal jets. These people have a lot of money and think of money differently than most people. They like to cruise too.. I'm wealthy, but I'm always surprised by the number of wealthy people in this world.

Putting it in perspective: My oldest child will graduate from college in the spring. I have paid less than 20K TOTAL COST for her four years of university education, including nursing scrubs and all the extra expenses of student nursing.