Need help with phone settings onboard

tbmrt

My understanding is:

1. Put phone in Airplane Mode

2. Shut off Data Roaming

I can then read my Word files on my phone without being charged.

Also understand that I can text for free (ATT).

Not incoming texts or phone calls when I'm in airplane mode.

Is that all correct?

Also, if we are in the terminal, am I safe using 4G? Worried that I may be using ship's connection which could result in charges.

Thanks for any input.

Barbara

I've also answered in your other thread.

Turning data roaming off will let you avoid the outrageous charges that are incurred when your phone automatically,downloads your email or Facebook feed or those big app updates. You don't need to additionally turn Airplane Mode on, although you may.

With data roaming OFF and Airplane Mode OFF your phone will still be able to receive and send calls and text messages while on the ship and in port.

The rates for calls and text messages will vary depending on your plan and where you are, but typically calls are $1 to $3 per minute onboard and onshore, receiving texts costs whatever your plan charges to receive a text (typically free) and sending a text is around 50 cents. If people tend to call you on your cellphone Airplane Mode will avoid that cost, but calls and texts generally won't run up the huge charges that appear in news stories.

In the US terminal 4G is safe, particularly if you've turned data roaming off. Somewhere,on your phone's home screen it will say whether you're connected to AT&T or some other carrier like the ship. If the banner at the top says AT&T now it would say some then else when you roam.

Edited by Underwatr

I've also answered in your other thread.

Turning data roaming off will let you avoid the outrageous charges that are incurred when your phone automatically,downloads your email or Facebook feed or those big app updates. You don't need to additionally turn Airplane Mode on, although you may.

With data roaming OFF and Airplane Mode OFF your phone will still be able to receive and send calls and text messages while on the ship and in port.

The rates for calls and text messages will vary depending on your plan and where you are, but typically calls are $1 to $3 per minute onboard and onshore, receiving texts costs whatever your plan charges to receive a text (typically free) and sending a text is around 50 cents. If people tend to call you on your cellphone Airplane Mode will avoid that cost, but calls and texts generally won't run up the huge charges that appear in news stories.

In the US terminal 4G is safe, particularly if you've turned data roaming off. Somewhere,on your phone's home screen it will say whether you're connected to AT&T or some other carrier like the ship. If the banner at the top says AT&T now it would say some then else when you roam.

I did address my concerns with ATT, but it wasn't clear to me.

Pardon if this is simplistic, but I want to get across several points.

A modern smartphone can communicate through two methods: Telephone signal and wifi signal. When you activate airplane mode, you are turning off your cellular telephone signal. When airplane mode is off, your phone automatically begins looking for a signal that it can connect to, be it the ship's cellular network or a land based provider. Unless you have it set to manual selections, the phone will lock onto the best signal provided. Any voice and data transmission/reception will be through your cellular signal, at the appropriate rate for the carrier.

When you are operating in wifi mode, you are using wifi to connect to a wifi router, which provides the actual connection to the internet. Wifi is merely a transmission mechanism to the router - it is not "the internet". You would still need to pay for the router connection to the outside world - either through onboard ship payments or through any fees to the provider on land, either a hotspot provider like Boingo or to the cafe owner through purchases.

Now on to applications. Voice calls can be either through your cellular system or over wifi (VOIP) with a service like Skype. Same with texts - they can be through your cellular connection or through a texting app such as Kik or WhatsApp. Know that texting apps in general have poor security and that the other user must be on the same app. I believe that Skype offers the ability to text to an actual phone number for a charge.

Hope this helps you and others a bit.

• 5 weeks later...
I did address my concerns with ATT, but it wasn't clear to me.

tbmrt - I am with you on this. We leave for a transatlantic cruises in three days and I still confused as to what plan to purchase or how to handle the phone while on land in foreign countries or while on board the cruise ship while at sea.

Our last two international cruises have seen me purchase AT&T plans thinking I was covered for iphone usage while on the cruise and vacation. Then, I receive the AT&T bill when we get back home. One year the bill was $1,300 and then last summer got hit with a $2,400 AT&T invoice.

So, like I posted above, three days away from departure and thinking the best option is to leave the iphone at home. Now, to try and convince my wife :D

Still always amazed that some people buy a smart phone and have little idea of how to use it.

Nonetheless, FlyerTalker in #5 above explains the basics nicely.

Two related items: if airplane mode (no voice service) is turned off, you will see the name of the connected voice network at the top of your screen. Network changes abroad (or otherwise out-of-range of your regular provider) will occur automatically unless you go into your phone settings and change "network" to "manual." Part of your trip prep is to connect with AT&T's (or whoever) to find out the names of the partner providers in the visited countries so you will get the purchased package price for minutes. Then every time you turn your phone on in a new location abroad, a list of available networks will pop-up for your selection. Not exactly "rocket science" here.

As for data roaming, again go into settings and turn off auto-updates for apps. But recognize as well that, unless you turn off data roaming and rely primarily on a TRUSTED wifi connection (most often one where you have actually paid for the internet service that wifi accesses), you will incur the provider's data charges for web surfing or using apps that need the internet.

Finally, be very careful of "free wifi," which is increasingly costing folks their identity at the hands of hackers.

As for $1000 phone bill (even abroad), someone needs to take that phone away until the owner does their homework.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

tbmrt - I am with you on this. We leave for a transatlantic cruises in three days and I still confused as to what plan to purchase or how to handle the phone while on land in foreign countries or while on board the cruise ship while at sea.
It all depends on what you want/expect from your phone while you are traveling.
Our last two international cruises have seen me purchase AT&T plans thinking I was covered for iphone usage while on the cruise and vacation. Then, I receive the AT&T bill when we get back home. One year the bill was $1,300 and then last summer got hit with a $2,400 AT&T invoice.
I'm gonna bet that you had your iPhone set for automatic updates of apps and data - plus I bet you have push services for data, apps and messaging (both app messages and texts). So your phone was regularly connecting to get those updates and messages and the meter was running each time. You likely didn't realize this was continuously happening in the background.
So, like I posted above, three days away from departure and thinking the best option is to leave the iphone at home. Now, to try and convince my wife :D
No...the best option is to intelligently decide what you want the phone to do, know what costs that will incur, and go from there.

And since I don't see a "posted above" from you in this thread, I can't give any more information other than what I posted above. Write back with your details, including countries involved.

Finally, be very careful of "free wifi," which is increasingly costing folks their identity at the hands of hackers.
Agreed!!! "Free" can end up being very costly. Get a VPN account, install the clients on your phone, tablet and computer and be sure to use them. I highly recommend Private Internet Access, which has simple client installations for all platforms.
As for $1000 phone bill (even abroad), someone needs to take that phone away until the owner does their homework.
Where is the Internet Driving License for the information superhighway?? "You have to pass this test before you are allowed to touch a keyboard".

Unless you know what you are doing, having your phone on in a foreign country is the equivalent of walking down the street handing ten dollar bills to everyone who passes by.

If you do want to use free WiFi in places where you visit, invest in a VPN (virtual private network) service for your phone. I use Tunnelbear, but there are many reputable ones out there......activating a VPN hides and anonymizes all your traffic by privately routing through another server. Incidentally, it's also how you can change the "location" of your computer (or phone, or tablet) to access geolocked services. But that's not why you need it before using free WiFi signals. For increased security, just turn it on before using your phone/tablet on free WiFi.

Tunnelbear offers free 500 Mb a month usage -- not enough to stream Netflix, but enough to use for WiFi email and probably Facebook browsing while you're away. Normally, I would say don't use a free service, but Tunnelbear is an exception because the free service is just their "introductory" package.....they make their money by selling larger bundles to those who use it more frequently (Like me - I buy an unlimited bandwidth annual plan).

I use it when I use any free WiFi, even in my own city, if I'm doing anything remotely involving a password or secure data. Maybe not for reading a newspaper site or looking up the location of the nearest post office, but for most other things.

No...the best option is to intelligently decide what you want the phone to do, know what costs that will incur, and go from there.

And since I don't see a "posted above" from you in this thread, I can't give any more information other than what I posted above. Write back with your details, including countries involved.

South Africa for 5 days

Botswana for 3 days

Namibia for 3 days

St. Helena for 1 day

At sea for 8 days

Brazil for 3 days

My wife wants to be able call home while on land or at sea, send/receive text messages and also sends pictures back home on a text message.

She has AT&T iPhone 6

Based upon my readings I don't see how see will be able to get these items on her phone and it not costing a ton no matter what AT&T plan I purchase.

I have added VIBER to her phone as friends and family back home also have the app on their phones. A friend of ours speaks to her daughter who is doing missionary work in Africa everyday via VIBER and it costs them nothing extra.

Edited by Lane412000
added last paragraph

If you do want to use free WiFi in places where you visit, invest in a VPN (virtual private network) service for your phone. I use Tunnelbear, but there are many reputable ones out there......activating a VPN hides and anonymizes all your traffic by privately routing through another server. Incidentally, it's also how you can change the "location" of your computer (or phone, or tablet) to access geolocked services. But that's not why you need it before using free WiFi signals. For increased security, just turn it on before using your phone/tablet on free WiFi.

Tunnelbear offers free 500 Mb a month usage -- not enough to stream Netflix, but enough to use for WiFi email and probably Facebook browsing while you're away. Normally, I would say don't use a free service, but Tunnelbear is an exception because the free service is just their "introductory" package.....they make their money by selling larger bundles to those who use it more frequently (Like me - I buy an unlimited bandwidth annual plan).

I use it when I use any free WiFi, even in my own city, if I'm doing anything remotely involving a password or secure data. Maybe not for reading a newspaper site or looking up the location of the nearest post office, but for most other things.

For the ignorant, i.e. me, I'd click on Tunnelbear to access the Internet, instead of Safari?

South Africa for 5 days

Botswana for 3 days

Namibia for 3 days

St. Helena for 1 day

At sea for 8 days

Brazil for 3 days

My wife wants to be able call home while on land or at sea, send/receive text messages and also sends pictures back home on a text message.

OK....this is going to be a longish post, but I highly suggest you read post #5 in this thread as a starter.

First decision you have to make. Are you planning to use the telephony part of your phone (aka cellular) to accomplish your goals or are you planning to use internet based connectivity?

Let's start with "call home". Even here, you have "on land" and "at sea". On land, if you use telephony you will need to have some connection to the local country's telephone system. This can be through a voice roaming plan from your existing USA carrier or through setting up your phone to work natively with the local phone system. The latter means that you would need to purchase the SIM, sign up for some kind of service and pay that for each country. Yes, there are multi-country SIMs, but the still operate on the principle of being at "home" in one country and roaming in others.

The other connection method would be internet based and voice would be via a service such as Skype. This would depend on your access to internet connectivity and if the connection is able to route through Skype.

At sea, you cannot use local telephony because you aren't in a country with cellular coverage. So you will either need to connect to the ship's cellular signal, which then goes out via satellite OR to the ship's wifi signal, which then goes out via satellite. Both will be pricey - depending on your ship, there may or not be cellular. Also, to use internet for voice may be ship dependent - there are ships that block streaming services such as Skype.

Texts: Basic texting operates through the telephony part of your phone. It also requires that the number used to text to you is the number for the service you are connected through. If you are not on a roaming signal identified with your USA number, a text will not get to you. Various texting apps use telephony, internet or both - all is app dependent. Be especially aware that if you want your phone to receive texts at sea, your phone will be constantly checking to see if you have any new messages and your shipboard cellular bill will be huge.

Pictures in a text message: Same as basic texts, but with the additional issue of bigger size to the message. You may pay more for texts with embedded graphics.

Based upon my readings I don't see how see will be able to get these items on her phone and it not costing a ton no matter what AT&T plan I purchase.
That's about right. If she wants to be always "connected", she will pay the price for that convenience. Or she can just get email through internet service on land and sea. That is far less costly.
I have added VIBER to her phone as friends and family back home also have the app on their phones. A friend of ours speaks to her daughter who is doing missionary work in Africa everyday via VIBER and it costs them nothing extra.
Nothing extra because it is working through their existing USA data plans. What you will be paying for overseas is the connectivity itself, not the VIBER app. Also, be aware that ships may block VIBER due to bandwidth issues....do not expect to be able to use this ashore.

Unfortunately, many people think that the phone/internet service they get on their devices in the USA is what they will get abroad, and for next to nothing. Not the case.

I highly suggest that you find out how "connected" she really needs to be. I also suggest that she use email for communication and hold off on sending any photos until you are home.

For more details on overseas SIMS, and mobile connectivity around the world, I suggest: http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Prepaid_SIM_with_data

You can buy SIMs for South Africa and Botswana and Namibia, but know they will be for domestic use. Don't bother trying for anything on St Helena - just enjoy that delightful island. (They have a distillery there, and they make a few liquors that come in a distinctive bottle. I don't believe they export, so you would have a unique souvenir.)

Hope this helps to focus your thinking.

For the ignorant, i.e. me, I'd click on Tunnelbear to access the Internet, instead of Safari?

No.

First you need to have some kind of internet connectivity. Then, you activate your VPN client which establishes the secure VPN tunnel. Only after you have the VPN established, then you would run any applications that you wish.

FWIW, Safari does not "access the internet". It is a browser application that uses an existing data connection to access webpages. There are MANY applications which have have no relationship to Safari that can "access the internet" without any kind of browser.

Highly recommend doing some basic research on VPN (Virtual Private Network) so you can understand what it does in relationship to your data connectivity.

I thought I knew what to do with my phone until I started reading this thread. Now I am not so sure.

I leave my iPhone off while sailing. What I need it for is private excursions I have arranged. I need to turn it on once we dock, and leave it on until we hook up with the operator. At that point, I can turn it off again until the next port.

I have AT&T and we are sailing to South America and Antarctica. I do have a VPN(SurfEasy) on this phone.

So, what do I need (what kind of additional plan), and what do I turn off (and maybe back on periodically)? The tour operator could text, call or send an e-mail, although I suspect it would be one of the first two options.

:confused::confused::confused:

No.

First you need to have some kind of internet connectivity. Then, you activate your VPN client which establishes the secure VPN tunnel. Only after you have the VPN established, then you would run any applications that you wish.

FWIW, Safari does not "access the internet". It is a browser application that uses an existing data connection to access webpages. There are MANY applications which have have no relationship to Safari that can "access the internet" without any kind of browser.

Highly recommend doing some basic research on VPN (Virtual Private Network) so you can understand what it does in relationship to your data connectivity.

Thanks. :) :)

I'm so ignorant that I don't even know what questions to ask.

Ok, so like this???

Have the wifi or internet icon showing that I have connectivity.

Then use Tunnelbear (or similar) wait for that to connect. Then do what I need to do on the Internet

Am I getting a bit closer?

Edited by SadieN

TMobile doesn't support data connections via Cunard's cellular system (I cruise mostly on Cunard) and data is unlimited and 'free' (as in no additional charge) on most of the Caribbean islands. The best of both worlds. :)

I checked the list of countries in Lane412000's post. TMobile has 20 cent calls and included data in South Africa and Brazil but it's expensive in Botswana and Namibia. Otherwise I might have suggested looking into getting a TMobile SIM for one or two months.

Thanks. :) :)

I'm so ignorant that I don't even know what questions to ask.

Not a problem. EVERYONE is at your stage at some point (though the six year olds get through it very quickly ;))

Ok, so like this???

Have the wifi or internet icon showing that I have connectivity.

Then use Tunnelbear (or similar) wait for that to connect. Then do what I need to do on the Internet

Am I getting a bit closer?

You've got it. Once you finish your internet work, then close the VPN and then disconnect from your online connection.

What's happening is that you get the internet connection. But to secure it so that hackers can't tap in over a "free wifi" link, the VPN provides an encrypted "tunnel" that keeps out hackers. Your VPN account and password are encrypted by the VPN client, so hackers don't get that, then the tunnel keeps all the rest of your data and keystrokes from being intercepted in the tunnel.

Understanding connectivity can be confusing, but it can be understood if you take it step by step and know what each step of the data is - from your finger to the computer at the other end of the internet path. And the first step to knowledge is knowing what you don't know. You're doing fine!!

No....once you have a connection to the Internet you open and start Tunnelbear to create the private "tunnel" for your data, and then open your Safari browser.

Not a problem. EVERYONE is at your stage at some point (though the six year olds get through it very quickly ;))

You've got it. Once you finish your internet work, then close the VPN and then disconnect from your online connection.

What's happening is that you get the internet connection. But to secure it so that hackers can't tap in over a "free wifi" link, the VPN provides an encrypted "tunnel" that keeps out hackers. Your VPN account and password are encrypted by the VPN client, so hackers don't get that, then the tunnel keeps all the rest of your data and keystrokes from being intercepted in the tunnel.

Understanding connectivity can be confusing, but it can be understood if you take it step by step and know what each step of the data is - from your finger to the computer at the other end of the internet path. And the first step to knowledge is knowing what you don't know. You're doing fine!!

Thanks!!!!