Hurricane Patricia

get me off land

The weather channel is forecasting 80% rain on Saturday, 100% on Sunday. Houston is expecting 5" of rain on Sunday, Galveston-not so much. Houston has an extreme weather warning for Sunday. Having driven on that road from Houston to Galveston a few times I gather Sunday morning travel won't be much fun.

The Texas coast will be having Patricia arriving from the west and a storm that is sitting in the gulf moving north. Should be some interesting lightning storms.

My bet is that it will be one heck of a weekend...and not the most fun for the starting and ending of a trip....

This hurricane is packing 200 mph winds, and is supposedly the biggest hurricane EVER to hit the Western Hemisphere. It's highly unlikely Carnival will be going there as most ships leave out of Long Beach on Saturday (tomorrow). I recall a hurricane hitting Cabo a couple of years ago and you can still see the damage it has done to this day. It's hitting the Pacific coast, doubtful it will have an impact on the States.

http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-patricia-mexico-coast

Edited by elliair

I am shocked there is nothing that I can find up on the website - it has got to effect those west coast cruises to Mexico.

We'll hear about it but only what is left of Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo. I don't know if this is all hype like the news media usually makes it out to be, but looking at the satellite images, it looks dire. Whoever is booked on the Miracle may be going on a cruise to no where. Their itinerary is Cabo and 2 days in Puerto Vallarta. We did this cruise last month.

Hopefully Carnival will be posting something soon, as Patricia is hitting Puerto Vallarta today. (more likely to get faster information from someone currently cruising on board the Miracle now).

Hope we hear something as we sail on the Miracle in 2 weeks....funny thing, I'll be cruising with my sister and her name is Patricia. :cool:

Patricia is very likely to impact Texas this weekend, record rainfalls, flooding potential.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/flooding-tropical-downpours-patricia-texas-oklahoma-central-us/53098639

Looking at the tracking image it does look like it will go into the gulf of Mexico but will probably break up considerably along the way. Good luck Texas, I wish it were hitting California instead.

map_specnewsdct-08_ltst_4namus_enus_650x366.jpg

The hurricane will be making landfall later today. The scope of the damage and the exact landfall location will be a lot more clear tomorrow. I think if you wait until tonight and then check either the weather channel or the national hurricane center's web site, you'll have a lot better idea of which Mexican cities will be affected.

For those getting onboard the Carnival Miracle this weekend, my guess would be that you won't go to Puerto Vallarta next week at all. The itinerary will probably be changed to spend more time in Cabo San Lucas and possibly some time in Loreto or somewhere else in that area. It doesn't look like Baja California will be affected by this hurricane in any meaningful way, so I don't think the Carnival Miracle cruise will be a cruise to nowhere. Cabo should be fine.

I live just north of Galveston. We have been having higher tides and already have coastal flooding. Harborside Dr is a MESS when it rains heavily as it hold water. Its quite possible there will be some localized flooding this weekend in Galveston. We are expecting it for our area (about 20 miles north of galveston).

Also, if you are coming in at night, they just started doing construction for the shoulders which is closing one lane on each side of I-45 between FM 518 and FM 517 (League City to Dickinson).

I am shocked there is nothing that I can find up on the website - it has got to effect those west coast cruises to Mexico.

Miracle is in Hawaii, not due back to Long Beach till Nov 1st, the other two ships (Inspiration and Imagination) only go to Ensenada, far north of the storm.

Keeping my fingers crossed that PV doesn't get hit too hard. It is one of the only two ports that the Miracle is visiting on my Nov. 1st 6 day cruise. :mad:

I was on a Miracle 6 day Nov of last year. Tropical strom (which turned into Hurricane) Vance hit PV. Our original itinerary was for Cabo and PV. That changed to going to La Paz and then Cabo before heading home. At the time, I was really looking forward to going to PV, but due to the change, I got the opportunity to snorkel with whale sharks. So just stay positive.

Patricia is very likely to impact Texas this weekend, record rainfalls, flooding potential.

Well, technically it will just be the remnants if Patricia. That is, the rain. It will lose all it's tropical characteristics crossing the mountains of Mexico long before it gets to Texas. But your point still stands nonetheless.

Looking at the tracking image it does look like it will go into the gulf of Mexico but will probably break up considerably along the way.

It will break up and no longer be a hurricane/tropical system, but it will still bring a lot of moisture to Texas. That's the concern.

We'll hear about it but only what is left of Puerto Vallarta and Manzanillo. I don't know if this is all hype like the news media usually makes it out to be, but looking at the satellite images, it looks dire. Whoever is booked on the Miracle may be going on a cruise to no where. Their itinerary is Cabo and 2 days in Puerto Vallarta. We did this cruise last month.

In 2001 we sailed out of Los Angeles on the Elation when CAT 4 Hurricane Juliette was out there. They changed the itinerary and we went to Cabo first. Then they high tailed it north and our cruise went to Ensenada, San Diego and Catalina instead of Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. We had a great cruise, but the people from California were not happy.

We are sailing the Miracle on Nov 8th. We are scheduled to stop in Puerto Vallarta. I doubt we are going there even though it will be two weeks past the landfall of the hurricane. I think PV will be devastated. The infrastructure will be a mess. It may even tear up the docking area, depending on the storm surge. This storm is stronger than Katrina. The Mexican gov't doesn't have the resources to deal with the catastrophe immediately. It will take time. While I know I will have a good cruise regardless, I pray for the Mexican people who will affected by this disaster.

We are sailing the Miracle on Nov 8th. We are scheduled to stop in Puerto Vallarta. I doubt we are going there even though it will be two weeks past the landfall of the hurricane. I think PV will be devastated. The infrastructure will be a mess. It may even tear up the docking area, depending on the storm surge. This storm is stronger than Katrina. The Mexican gov't doesn't have the resources to deal with the catastrophe immediately. It will take time. While I know I will have a good cruise regardless, I pray for the Mexican people who will affected by this disaster.

I totally agree with you.

I told my adult kids that we will likely not be visiting Puerto Vallarta on our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise but I don't feel bad about it. I'm just praying there is no loss of life!

We've been to Puerto Vallarta many times and just by looking at many of the buildings and homes, I don't see how they can survive a category 4 hurricane. A meteorologist was talking about the different hurricanes and their category and what devastation they left. This one is unprecedented and no doubt will leave destruction every where. Carnival and Princess were just now getting back to taking their ships there. Many times we were asked "what time does the ship leave, how long will you be here?"

On our Panama Canal cruise we'll be stopping in Cabo. Okay with me...