No More Baked Onion Soup on 7 Night Cruises?

DaisyRose

I just got off of the Crown Princess (Oct 10 - 17, 2015 - California Coast). Each day I waited patiently for my favorite, French Onion Soup. On the last day of the cruise, it STILL was not on the menu! I asked someone who works in the kitchen. He said there is no onion soup on this cruise, there is no French night. Well, I don't think there was ever a French night, but there has always been French Onion soup served on one night of the cruise. I am so disappointed - I look forward to that as one of my favorites on Princess cruises! Can anyone who has recently been on a 7 night cruise write back as to which ship you were on and whether or not baked onion soup was ever served? I am SO disappointed! I hope it is not a fleet-wide decision.

Speaking of food, I ate in the main dining room (Anytime) 6 of the 7 nights, and bananas foster and cherries jubilee were also not served on the nights I was there. It's possible that one of them was served the night I didn't go to the main dining room, but I know they would not serve both on the same night, so at least one of those special deserts was also not served on this cruise. (Interestingly, one night DH went up to the buffet to get a cup of tea, and they were making bananas foster at the buffet). Again, very disappointed. Have you had these deserts served in the main dining room on recent 7 night cruises?

In September on the first leg of our Baltic cruise, we realized (after the fact) that we never had French onion soup. Asked our Head Waiter about it. 2 nights later it appeared for our table. Later in the 15 day TA it wasn't on the menu, but one night the waiters said it was available off the menu (for everyone). In total in our 26 days, we had it 4 times. Once in the CG, other 3 in MDR. In the MDR it was hit or miss. One fabulous, other 2 not so much. The asst. waiter said they want people to go to the CG if they want it. hmmm...on that comment! I don't remember the other 2 desserts being offered, but then we rarely eat dessert so don't pay a lot of attention.

Well, I guess it's a big deal to those who really enjoy it. When it's been served in the past, I always saw many people enjoying it. I am not interested in going to the Crown Grill and paying $25 per person to get onion soup. I think they are taking the "special" out of cruising. Murphey, if they specially make the onion soup for you "upon request" do you tip someone? If so, who, and how much?

I hope they didn't take it off the menu. It is one of the things I look forward to when cruising. The one in CG is the Black and Blue soup and I don't like blue cheese so I look forward to the regular french onion soup.

I don't eat French onion soup but my Mom loved the ones on Princess. When we went to the Crown Grill, my mom doesn't like Roquefort cheese and asked for it to be left off and they accommodated her. She loved the soup when they held the roquefort cheese off.

Well, I guess it's a big deal to those who really enjoy it. When it's been served in the past, I always saw many people enjoying it. I am not interested in going to the Crown Grill and paying $25 per person to get onion soup. I think they are taking the "special" out of cruising. Murphey, if they specially make the onion soup for you "upon request" do you tip someone? If so, who, and how much?

Depends how many "special requests" we have. i.e., we have requested garlic bread on occasion and usually ask for escargot an additional night. Usually only on longer cruises. Requests are made for some other evening...never on that night. Tipping is personal, but we may tip $25 for a longer cruise and have had an accommodating HW. Some HW's like to strike up a relationship with you and sometimes thing just show up! :D But we would never glad hand $$......always an envelope at the end. A great way to approach the subject is early in the cruise to ask if something will be on the menu. They'll get the idea when you express mild disappointment.....and asking nicely may very well do the trick. And, tipping is never "necessary".

Edited by Murphey

CCruisequeen, yes, sometimes looking forward to a favorite food actually encourages you to book a cruise! My other favorite is the eggplant parmesan, I've never had such good eggplant parmesan in any other restaurant. Thankfully, they still offered that on Italian night on this cruise. I had heard about the warm chocolate melting cake on Carnival. Once, I needed a "getaway" and saw a great deal on a Carnival cruise I could drive to. I have read many negative comments about Carnival, and wanted to give it a try. I had the warm chocolate melting cake on 5 of the 8 nights onboard. It really was delicious. And I discovered that I really liked Carnival! So, you never know how even one food can make someone's decision to book a cruise!

Princess does seem to have a couple sets of menus that they alternate between on 7 day cruises. Noticed this when we did the b2b in Alaska this last summer. The menus in each direction were slightly different. I don't remember what it was, but I know there was something we saw on the northbound menu that we thought about having on the southbound trip, then were surprised when it never appeared. A lot of times though it was similar items, just prepared a little differently (instead of the cocoa spice rubbed pork, it was pork done in a different manner). The appetizers and soups definitely had some differences, but I can't remember the specifics. So maybe the french onion soup only appears on one of the two sets of menus? I thought I remember seeing it on one of the two directions, but can't remember if it was on both (I don't eat it myself, so wouldn't really pay attention to whether it was there or not, but I vaguely remember other people at our table having it).

For me, it's disappointing if they alternate menus, because there really is no way of knowing which week will offer the items that are your favorites. What I do know is that up until this year, every cruise I took, most of which were 7 night cruises, they always offered onion soup one night during the cruise. For those of you who really enjoy the onion soup, if it is not offered on your cruise, please mention it on the electronic survey you receive after the cruise. I do think it is a favorite of many, so if enough people mention it, maybe they will reconsider and bring it back one night on each cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't eat French onion soup but my Mom loved the ones on Princess. When we went to the Crown Grill, my mom doesn't like Roquefort cheese and asked for it to be left off and they accommodated her. She loved the soup when they held the roquefort cheese off.

I don't care for "moldy" cheese (ie bleu cheese) so they put on different cheese for me rather than leaving it off entirely. I'd heard so many people rave about the "Black & Blue" onion soup in the Crown Grill and wanted to try it, but without the "Blue". It was fantastic!