Beta testing - "Required" Check-In-Times?

Lil2Angelic

What difference in clientele makes this more doable on Disney? Are they inherently more patient or something? I don't understand that. Disney is likely boarding even more kids - so if they can do it, I don't see why Carnival can't unless there's something about us that makes tweaking the check-in process not possible.

QUOTE]

This is a little OT, but: Disney fans are used to scheduling their favorite rides two months in advance and scheduling their meals six months in advance. They're also used to using Disney transportation, which takes many guests from the airport and WDW hotels to the port. Carnival cruisers on average are going to expect to take a more casual approach to their vacation, especially if it's an inexpensive, short cruise. Also, according to what I have read, Disney only keeps people out of the terminal when it is at capacity and entertains the children while they wait for their boarding time.

I understand. However changes take time to get used to. And I really don't see why Carnival cruisers can't get used to this new process. And I'm not normally optimistic but if people would cooperate, there's no reason why it won't work.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

If a hotel is only sending one bus to the terminal...change hotels or book a cab or independent van. It isn't Carnival's fault that the hotel has its own issues.

I always board after 1pm and have never missed lunch. Even made it in time to use the Italian restaurant and it closes at 2:30.

Just book a Carnival transfer if you are flying in and want to arrive early. All transferees get immediate check-in.

If you are driving use a parking lot that has transfers to the pier. Not everyone can be accommodated at the pier parking.

There are usually solutions to what some perceive as problems.

I am amazed that changes to this chaos is causing this much consternation. Have the small percentage that post here never been stuck in lines that stretch on forever? Doesn't even matter which port. Today on John's page he mentions 400 people ignoring disembark #'s and creating problems. I am looking forward to the changes that make getting on & off more relaxed.

You must be a comedian..... There are so many places to start. First off, you assume that people eat non stop the minute they get on the ship, continuously with out a break for the length of the cruise. A foolish assumption at the very least. Do getting on the ship an hour later saves food? How did this turn into every perceived cut (your words not mine). Might want to check out how many people were throwing out the candy btw, many threads on this.

Lastly, all companies evaluate things (American and otherwise) and believe it or not, sometimes it is not a

cost cutting measure but an actual improvement...... Go figure.

Spoken like a true american businessman, perhaps your a CEO

If a hotel is only sending one bus to the terminal...change hotels or book a cab or independent van. It isn't Carnival's fault that the hotel has its own issues.

I always board after 1pm and have never missed lunch. Even made it in time to use the Italian restaurant and it closes at 2:30.

Just book a Carnival transfer if you are flying in and want to arrive early. All transferees get immediate check-in.

If you are driving use a parking lot that has transfers to the pier. Not everyone can be accommodated at the pier parking.

There are usually solutions to what some perceive as problems.

How many hotels are going to run bus to the terminal every hour because of check in times.

Guess What - starting in Dec. - You going get on the Carnival transfers from the airport according to board times and will not be able to board early or arrive early at the terminal using Carnival transfers. You maybe stuck in the airport for few hours waiting for you board times.

Edited by dhaza

We are going after the first of year so sign in times are going to be issue. Our hotel has warned us that the free shuttle they offer has to be for the earliest boarding times and they only run the one free shuttle to the port. So if you have late sign in and want to use the FREE shuttle then you have have to camp out in front of the terminal for few hours. Wonder how many will be joining me? That's about 50 to 80 people on two buses from just one hotel.

We are also doing a Back to Back and they couldn't explain the boarding times and that leaving the ship it we will stuck outside the terminal till our board times.

This assumes the hotels will refuse to make any adjustments to the new system. The hotels get premium rates from cruisers. If they don't adjust to accommodate the new policies, it could affect their bottom line. I expect they will adjust.

If not, maybe a different hotel will better serve the cruising public's needs.

This assumes the hotels will refuse to make any adjustments to the new system. The hotels get premium rates from cruisers. If they don't adjust to accommodate the new policies, it could affect their bottom line. I expect they will adjust.

If not, maybe a different hotel will better serve the cruising public's needs.

Really? They don't adjust for airlines. You can't just check in when you want depending on your flight arrival or departure time. There is and has always been definitive check-in and check-out times yet flights take off and land 24/7.

I wouldn't count on hotels scrambling to accommodate Carnival cruise passengers though if you ask politely and if they are able to do it, sometimes you can check in a bit early or check out a bit later.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I do not doubt you, but we have never come close (I think the most was around 300) to those kind of numbers. Was this a blogger cruise?

No, not a bloggers cruise but an inaugural cruise. Also seeing that the journeys cruises will have lots of P and D. Of course I am booked on 2 of those. Usually the longer cruises do have a tendency to have more P and D.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

Spoken like a true american businessman, perhaps your a CEO

There may actually be some truth in what I say. Imagine that, abyss was making an improvement to a process and their clients having an open mind and agreeing. Not a CEO here, but an officer. Part of our compensation is improved customer sat, no greed or lust for money. Novel idea and it works, maybe Carnival is following suit. Go figure imagine that.

No, not a bloggers cruise but an inaugural cruise. Also seeing that the journeys cruises will have lots of P and D. Of course I am booked on 2 of those. Usually the longer cruises due have a tendency to have more P and D.

Makes sense, thought it must be something like that. Hope to get on both of those In the not to distant future.

I have already be told Sweety when this starts that they are loading the transfers from the airport according to board times and you can NOT board early. Guess you can set luggage claim for few hours waiting before you can board your Carnival transfer.

Edited by CWSWine

[quote name='CWSWine']I have already be told Sweety when this starts that they are loading the transfers from the airport according to board times and you can NOT board early. Guess you can set luggage claim for few hours waiting before you can board transfer.[/QUOTE]

Your Carnival source please and the written faq from Carnival that addresses this.

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']Your Carnival source please and the written faq from Carnival that addresses this.[/QUOTE]

Our travel agent. The letter basicly stated that they didn't want back log of people outside the terminal waiting for board times and that was the new policy.

Here is from the FAQ --

Q: What happens if I arrive before or after my designated check-in time?
A: Guests who arrive prior to their check-in window will not be permitted to enter the cruise terminal and will be asked to return at their scheduled check-in time. This will be strictly enforced so we can achieve the desired guest experience. Guests who arrive after their designated check-in time will be accommodated.

Here is a link to FAQ..
[URL="https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180"]https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180[/URL]

Now show me the FAQ that says if you use the Carnival Transfer you board at any time and not by board times. Edited by CWSWine

[quote name='cruizinisthebest']Really? They don't adjust for airlines. You can't just check in when you want depending on your flight arrival or departure time. There is and has always been definitive check-in and check-out times yet flights take off and land 24/7.

I wouldn't count on hotels scrambling to accommodate Carnival cruise passengers though if you ask politely and if they are able to do it, sometimes you can check in a bit early or check out a bit later.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yes, really. Galveston hotels enjoy the premiums cruisers pay for the convenience of being taken to the ship. I fully expect that any Galveston hotel with a "you have to board early to use our free shuttle" will adjust if cruisers start using a hotel that better meets their needs by having more/later shuttle runs.

But, come to think of it, when I have had an early flight, I have, at times, been allowed an early check-in (or a late check out, for a late departure). I have often been surprised with how late some would let me check out.

At the very least, I have, on a number of occasions, left my bags with a hotel until I could check in later. On our last vacation, we arrived at the hotel at 9:00 a.m., checked our bags with the hotel, and hit the town (San Francisco) This is the type of adjustment that having later shuttle runs equates with, in my view -- an accommodation to the guest to help them with their scheduling.

Then again, my experience with Galveston hotels is 50/50. Half will do what needs to be done to accommodate the guest, half will give you the, do-you-want-a-room-on-the-island-or-what? look. (Often accompanied by a slight shoulder shrug.)

"Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?
A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal. Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or “Faster to the Fun” must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass." - Carnival

No where on this faq does it state that transfers will be adjusted to match check in times. It clearly states that those with transfers are invited to come at their leisure.

[quote name='kbanowsky']Note to the moderators: can we sticky this topic please, so we don't get a new thread ("OMG! Look what I just found!") every time the latest thread drops off the first page (or whatever)?[/quote]

Ha! I've been lobbying for a Cheers! thread to be stickied for like six months now, and that hasn't happened yet. Because 15 questions on it every day just isn't enough ;)

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']Your Carnival source please and the written faq from Carnival that addresses this.[/QUOTE]

A little late replying other posts made my comments moot Edited by jimbo5544

[quote name='kbanowsky']Yes, really. Galveston hotels enjoy the premiums cruisers pay for the convenience of being taken to the ship. I fully expect that any Galveston hotel with a "you have to board early to use our free shuttle" will adjust if cruisers start using a hotel that better meets their needs by having more/later shuttle runs.

But, come to think of it, when I have had an early flight, I have, at times, been allowed an early check-in (or a late check out, for a late departure). I have often been surprised with how late some would let me check out.

At the very least, I have, on a number of occasions, left my bags with a hotel until I could check in later. On our last vacation, we arrived at the hotel at 9:00 a.m., checked our bags with the hotel, and hit the town (San Francisco) This is the type of adjustment that having later shuttle runs equates with, in my view -- an accommodation to the guest to help them with their scheduling.

Then again, my experience with Galveston hotels is 50/50. Half will do what needs to be done to accommodate the guest, half will give you the, do-you-want-a-room-on-the-island-or-what? look. (Often accompanied by a slight shoulder shrug.)[/QUOTE]

Those are courtesies, not official policy for checking in and out. And I mentioned that. We have benefitted from the same as well. We usually fly into Orlando and take the very first flight that gets us there @ 8:30am. I don't expect the hotel to let me check-in, but it's always nice when they do. Even at that, I may have to kill a couple of hours. I don't see why cruisers can't figure out a way to do the same if need be. I suspect many do anyway and are simply peeved that Carnival had the audacity to tell them they can't show up when they want.

[quote name='jimbo5544']I would like to see his as well[/QUOTE]

As would I - as it flies directly in the face of what is posted on the site regarding those using Carnival transfers. Either the site needs to be changed stat or somebody needs to stop giving out bad information. Edited by cruizinisthebest

[quote name='cruizinisthebest']As would I - as it flies directly in the face of what is posted on the site regarding those using Carnival transfers. Either the site needs to be changed stat or somebody needs to stop giving out bad information.[/QUOTE]

True, looks more of negative pot stirring and reading into it than a policy change. It is a trial, in a home port that has fairly limited inside space. Actually surprised they have not moved into testing this long ago. Our April cruise on the Breeze there was delayed embarkation and when they tried to board diamonds and platinum it got fairly ugly.

[quote name='Sweet Dutch Girl']"Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?
A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal. Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or “Faster to the Fun” must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass." - Carnival

No where on this faq does it state that transfers will be adjusted to match check in times. It clearly states that those with transfers are invited to come at their leisure.[/QUOTE]

LOL -- So I can sit at the baggage claim till 1:00 transfer for 2:30 boarding or jump on that 10:30 transfer and sit outside at the terminal till 2:30 board time. I'm not part of any "Priority Program" That is what Carnival trying to avoid is couple hundred people sitting outside waiting for boarding time.