Grand Princess SF Embarkation

rdailybread

My wife and I were in San Francisco yesterday and decided to check out the boarding process on the Grand. It was a little before 1pm and there was quite a long line waiting to have their bags picked up by a very few porters. There were vehicles pulling up constantly and the porters seemed to be giving the vehicular passangers preferential treatment.

The line of people waiting got longer while the vehicular traffic flow moved pretty well. Luckily the weather was very nice for the people standing in line.

The process seemed organized but very tedious. Is this how Princess operates its embarkation typically? We are primarily Royal Caribbean cruisers and they have hordes of porters waiting to whisk your luggage away and you proceed straight to check-in. At least that's what we have experienced in San Pedro over numerous boardings.

Is it better to board early or later in SF?

We boarded the Star Princess at pier 27 in Feb 2015. Arrived at the pier by taxi shortly after 11:30 and boarded right around noon. No delays. Authorities have to keep the traffic moving so it doesn't back up unto the Embarcadero. You can not compare SF to San Pedro, there is different logistics.

Yes, Pier 27 is technically on the Embarcadero but has a convenient drive that takes you (cabs, etc.) off the main drag so as to not create a traffic back-up on the street. Or at least less of a back-up on the street. This is unlike the old Pier 35 that always caused a traffic jam on the Embarcadero.

As for the porters, this is NOT a business choice for Princess. The porters are hired and paid for by the city. If they were under employed on your day of embarkation then it wasn't a decision made or controlled by Princess.

We have cruised out of SF many times as it is our home port, neither at the old pier or the current one have we had anything as you described. I am not saying it doesn't happen as I am sure it does but we have never encountered it.

People are given instructions from Princess in their on-line instructions and documents, to come to the pier at staggered times so as to avoid this type of situation but most people want to get their vacation started ASAP and show up at 10:30-11:00 and help create the long lines you speak of.

If you can't get there early so that you can be in the first group in line, showing up after 2 would be a better decision. You would most likely just walk right on board.

Is it better to board early or later in SF? yes :D

We got to the pier about 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 10 and saw no congestion at all and plenty of porters to handle whatever came. I think the problem with 1 p.m. is that's when the official staggered boarding times begin. Suddenly, everyone who was shy to arrive early figures it's legal to swamp the place.

Jim

Yes, Pier 27 is technically on the Embarcadero but has a convenient drive that takes you (cabs, etc.) off the main drag so as to not create a traffic back-up on the street. Or at least less of a back-up on the street. This is unlike the old Pier 35 that always caused a traffic jam on the Embarcadero.

As for the porters, this is NOT a business choice for Princess. The porters are hired and paid for by the city. If they were under employed on your day of embarkation then it wasn't a decision made or controlled by Princess.

We have cruised out of SF many times as it is our home port, neither at the old pier or the current one have we had anything as you described. I am not saying it doesn't happen as I am sure it does but we have never encountered it.

People are given instructions from Princess in their on-line instructions and documents, to come to the pier at staggered times so as to avoid this type of situation but most people want to get their vacation started ASAP and show up at 10:30-11:00 and help create the long lines you speak of.

If you can't get there early so that you can be in the first group in line, showing up after 2 would be a better decision. You would most likely just walk right on board.

Is it better to board early or later in SF? yes :D

Good to know Iceleven. I didn't realize the porters were under City control. We live close enough to be able to arrive at whatever time we choose. Looks like we will plan a later boarding time. From the replies I have seen so far, Princess is doing a good job of managing embarkation. We must have hit a rush time. The cruise we are booked on is 15 Days so we don't feel the need to be first on. Plenty of time to enjoy the ship.

When are the staterooms typically ready?

Having done many boardings Id say its like anything else in life, people play a huge roll in how smoothly things operate. One bus full of confused passengers could throw a wrench in a full days boarding momentum.

Id also bet that if you had 2500 seasoned trained passengers, all on one sailing, the whole operation would click along smooth as can be. Or it would be 2500 bratty, "were special privilege" passengers and crash the whole operation, blowing my theory :D

Edited by MTJSR

Having done many boardings Id say its like anything else in life, people play a huge roll in how smoothly things operate. One bus full of confused passengers could throw a wrench in a full days boarding momentum.

Id also bet that if you had 2500 seasoned trained passengers, all on one sailing, the whole operation would click along smooth as can be. Or it would be 2500 bratty, "were special privilege" passengers and crash the whole operation, blowing my theory :D

L.P.

MTJSR, I'd say your theory is pretty solid!

I love that Princess has your cabins available when you board. Great for dropping off the carry on and heading to the MDR for lunch if we're early enough and there's no Coast Guard inspection.

We usually get to the pier just before noon and have had no problem with porters or lack thereof.

We just disembarked from the Oct 17-24 Grand sailing yesterday and both the embarkation and disembarkation at Pier 27 were very smooth. My only other experience is Celebrity at Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale), so I especially appreciated that on Princess, there was a dining room open on embarkation day and that the rooms were ready so quickly.

I loved our Celebrity cruise for many reasons, but they only offer the buffet and a small self-serve spa food area on embarkation day, both of which were a zoo - and our room wasn't ready until around 2:30-3pm that afternoon. Also, I'm not sure if it's the off-season Oct timing; the Princess cruise line; or the Pier 27 port team that makes disembarkation here so smooth, but it was way better than my experience with Celebrity at Port Everglades earlier this year.

Thank you for the response. It seems we hit the Pier at a rush time. It's good to hear so many replies with positive feedback. We have almost always cruised with Royal down in San Pedro but SF is much closer. This will be our first cruise with Princess and first debarkation in SF although we did dock there on a port day with Royal and found the off/on very smooth.

We got to the pier about 11:30 a.m. on Oct. 10 and saw no congestion at all and plenty of porters to handle whatever came. I think the problem with 1 p.m. is that's when the official staggered boarding times begin. Suddenly, everyone who was shy to arrive early figures it's legal to swamp the place.

On most cruises around 50% of the passengers are new to Princess.

The pre-cruise information always says boarding starts at 1 PM even though it normally starts around noon.

So staggered boarding or not, 1 PM is when many of the new cruisers aim to check-in.

Have sailed from Pier 35 and 27 many times previously.

Embarkation on 10/17 for the Grand Princess was the best ever.

Walked from the Ferry Building and arrived at 10:30 thinking that we had to wait for check-in.

Nope, was able to check in right away. Metro cruise staff did say that they expected a crunch at 1:00 pm.

Waited in the Priority boarding area (we are Elite and sailed in a full suite) and was able to board at 11:45, the earliest ever.

Disembarkation was painless as well.

Walked off the ship at 08:05.

Ship docked at 06:50.

In January 2015 while on the Star, we had to wait in the Bay until the fog cleared and thus not able to dock until 09:30. Several on our Roll Call missed their early flights from SFO.

We received the "staggered boarding" email as well and just ignored it.

Edited by cflutist

On most cruises around 50% of the passengers are new to Princess.

The pre-cruise information always says boarding starts at 1 PM even though it normally starts around noon.

So staggered boarding or not, 1 PM is when many of the new cruisers aim to check-in.

That's about right caribill.

On the 10/17 - 10/24 sailing there were 2580 pax.

Elite 204

Platinum 540

Ruby 358

Gold 631

Blue 857

These numbers from the CC Party onboard

For your viewing pleasure, these photos taken from the Grand Princess on the morning of Saturday 10/24/2015 from C415 (starboard side).

The first two were from my phone, the last one from hubby's camera.

1310875549_SunriseBayBridge_6414077584205880304_n.jpg.359fb9776eac3f4b1ece3c2114026703.jpg

Docking.jpg.be6734c1f58a53cb79d55c928dff2c50.jpg

1665195412_Sunrise10-24.jpg.b7e31512442f5e157269376ae3daca1c.jpg

Edited by cflutist

For your viewing pleasure, these photos taken from the Grand Princess on the morning of Saturday 10/24/2015 from C415 (starboard side).

The first two were from my phone, the last one from hubby's camera.

Hubby's camera wins.

Consider submitting that picture to the Captain's Circle photo contest.

Has anyone used the parking garage near the ship? We have a reservation but wonder if it could possible fill up early?

Bring a copy of your receipt, just to make sure. They generally have a designated area of the garage for cruise parking reservations. We never had a problem with them.

Bonnie1750,

Which parking garage do you have a reservation at? My wife and I will be sailing the Grand next May out of SF.

Raider23, I just researched parking last week. We live in the East Bay and normally just take BART and walk from the BART station to the ship but on our upcoming cruise our daughter and son-in-law will be coming with us to do the Bon Voyage Experience so they will drive us to the ship, park and then they will drive home after the BVE.

I found a website called spothero dot com that was helpful. You just put in the location you want to park near (Pier 27) and it pulls up a map of the area with all of the garages pinpointed. When you click on a garage it gives you their parking rates, details, hours, etc. and you can actually make a reservation online. It looked as though Ace Parking at 55 Francisco Street was the closest to the pier and it was quite reasonable but there may be others that were not listed on this website.