Princess no longer refunding Natural History Tour

Pushka

Just received advice we wont receive any refund for May next year. Will be curious to see if this is an Australian Princess issue or International.

I've cancelled it anyway as there are other excursions I want to do - like fly- fishing! seriously.

Just received advice we wont receive any refund for May next year. Will be curious to see if this is an Australian Princess issue or International.

I've cancelled it anyway as there are other excursions I want to do - like fly- fishing! seriously.

I've not heard from Princess---- yet! I'll look at our bill to make sure.

Then Princess may get into some trouble as they have advertised this excursion by just paying an uphrade fee. If they do not allow that then all who have made reservations with that mentioned to them they are in trouble. They need to stop automatically including the shorter excursion forcing people to take it. This could get real interesting.

Who id you get this advice from?

Edited by Potstech

If there are no refunds- why would you cancel? There isn't any "fly fishing" at Denali.

Who did you get this notice from? Direct from Princess? This will be a hot topic, which I, frankly, have been expecting them to discontinue. They have been the only cruiseline to refund for years. I hope- current booked visitors will be able to report current information, to keep information accurate on this board.

Then Princess may get into some trouble as they have advertised this excursion by just paying an uphrade fee. If they do not allow that then all who have made reservations with that mentioned to them they are in trouble. They need to stop automatically including the shorter excursion forcing people to take it. This could get real interesting.

Directly in an email from Princess.

I have little interest in this tour as pretty much everyone here says it doesn't get into National Park far enough to be of any value. So I looked at the other excursions on offer (including Tundra) but the National Park one gets back too late to do another tour (Princess) tour I really want to do. And the Tundra one appears as Sold Out on the Princess site.

b2e5ee86b66876a752b06366d3d306cb.jpg

There is fly fishing offered at Denali according to Princess.

f3f4a953a0d9a045f6b6c1c70731035b.jpg

Edited by Pushka

Upgrading and refunds are two different things. Several cruise lines allow people to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness tour- a few also the kantishna tour. ONLY I'm certain this has not changed.

Princess previously- totally- refunded the tours- so then people could go on the cheap SHUTTLE buses.

A whole different story.

Directly in an email from Princess.

I have little interest in this tour as pretty much everyone here says it doesn't get into National Park far enough to be of any value. So I looked at the other excursions on offer (including Tundra) but the National Park one gets back too late to do another tour (Princess) tour I really want to do. And the Tundra one appears as Sold Out on the Princess site.

b2e5ee86b66876a752b06366d3d306cb.jpg

There is fly fishing offered at Denali according to Princess.

f3f4a953a0d9a045f6b6c1c70731035b.jpg

The fishing is extremely poor at Denali, probably the worse place to consider- with all the excellent fishing elsewhere.

I'd agree with you there Budget Queen but the Tundra upgrade isn't even bookable through Princess.

Re the Fishing - there just doesnt seem to be space with all the other things I've booked to squeeze it in anywhere? The only other chance for space is possibly Ketchikan but really want to do the Aleutian trip.

Edited by Pushka

Is fly fishing really that bad here Budget Queen? It isn't cheap - but thought it would be a good experience?

Have you considered booking a shuttle bus tour independently? If you are staying the Denali Princess you can easily do that.

http://www.reservedenali.com/shuttles.aspx

Sure I can do that but it doesn't take away that Princess are no longer refunding - or even allowing the option to upgrade - from a tour which isn't well received.

From the email I received from the Princess - (poor spelling/grammar[emoji15])

fcabd66cb8783d63cc3be5581fd58942.jpg

Edited by Pushka

I'd agree with you there Budget Queen but the Tundra upgrade isn't even bookable through Princess.

Re the Fishing - there just doesnt seem to be space with all the other things I've booked to squeeze it in anywhere? The only other chance for space is possibly Ketchikan but really want to do the Aleutian trip.

One,- major point- Denali reservations aren't even available yet. So, I'll speculate that the Tundra Wilderness tour is going to open up next year.

Is fly fishing really that bad here Budget Queen? It isn't cheap - but thought it would be a good experience?

Sure I can do that but it doesn't take away that Princess are no longer refunding - or even allowing the option to upgrade - from a tour which isn't well received.

From the email I received from the Princess - (poor spelling/grammar[emoji15])

fcabd66cb8783d63cc3be5581fd58942.jpg

I don't make information up and I keep my information factual. :) Compared to all the other Alaska areas- and the superb fishing there is there- YES, Denali is a poor choice to consider. IF you want to fish- and don't have time inside passage- aren't you going to be at the McKinley Princess? Fishing is much better out of Talkeetna.

Edited by Budget Queen

Fishing at Denali:

Depends on where they take you... My brother-in-law fishes any chance he gets. I've seen him catch fish at Otto Lake just outside of Healy and he's done fishing along the first 20 miles of the Denali Highway and caught fish. It won't be like salmon fishing at the Russian River type fishing, where the action is hot and you're hauling in big sockeye; but it's still fishing.

Fishing at Denali:

Depends on where they take you... My brother-in-law fishes any chance he gets. I've seen him catch fish at Otto Lake just outside of Healy and he's done fishing along the first 20 miles of the Denali Highway and caught fish. It won't be like salmon fishing at the Russian River type fishing, where the action is hot and you're hauling in big sockeye; but it's still fishing.

I guess I'm just cautious- and will speculate that a Princess contracted tour-isn't going to transport people to the Denali Highway. It's going to be a basic trip at best in my opinion. With fishing being far superior elsewhere. These tours are costly going through the cruise line.

There are 2 fishing guides listed under the Denali Chamber of Commerce. http://www.a1cms.com/_dcc/activities/

I know nothing about fishing, but normally there are peak periods for successful fishing, depending on the location. I would suggest emailing both vendors and ask them for the peak period (without disclosing your travel date at the end of May). That's an expensive trip if you're not going to be successful.

The hours of Denali Fly Fishing match the hours of the Princess excursion so this is probably your vendor:

http://www.denaliflyfishing.com/the-trips/

The other vendor:

http://www.fishdenali.com/

As for the Denali bus tour, the reservations don't open until December. At that time you could easily purchase a shuttle bus ticket to Toklat for $30. Toklat is the same end-point as the Tundra Wilderness Tour but $100 cheaper.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses/toklat.aspx

Edited by mapleleaves

I'm not sure about refunds but I called and upgraded to the Tundra Wilderness Tour for May 2016 around 2 weeks ago. The upgrade is reflected in my cruise personalizer so I know it was done.

Well that is disappointing service for Australians then. I shall pass that on.

Thankyou for doing that research Mapleleaves. I will make discrete enquiries. :p

Surprisingly because of the good $ exchange rate given by Princess its actually cheaper to book it through them than direct with the vendor!

Edited by Pushka

Will your trip take you to Fairbanks? We went fly fishing there with Alaska Fishing and Raft Adventures. Found them on trip advisor. They picked up and dropped us off. Took us to a remote spot on the Chena. We fished on a raft and caught Arctic Grayling all day long. It was catch and release. We fished the end of June. It was one of our best days.

I'm not sure about refunds but I called and upgraded to the Tundra Wilderness Tour for May 2016 around 2 weeks ago. The upgrade is reflected in my cruise personalizer so I know it was done.

Especially in May- for other's- booking the shuttle bus to Toklat is less than $30, which is less than the Princess upgrades.

For general information- what did Princess charge you?

If it is confirmed that they are NOT refunding their tours, more people may choose to "upgrade" rather than consider the shuttle buses because of making some inaccurate assumptions. The ideal place to go is Eielson which is only $35.

Are you there in season for Copper River Salmon? Some of the best of the best. :)

Will check that out then - sounds like a good option. Didn't have plans for Copper River.

I will call our Princess in Australia and see what is reality versus their convenience. They dont have the expertise that US consultants have though.

Great pickup Budget Queen re Copper River:

3c427854da92f31b47132ff9190c4523.jpg

Edited by Pushka