UBP and gratuities

scoochy12

I know this has been discussed but I am not having much luck in locating the information.

We booked back in March of this year and got the UBP as part of the promotion being offered. I have received conflicting information from my travel agent and NCL directly. One says gratuities are not included and the other says they are since this was booked prior to June when the promotions changed to not include gratuities.

Does anyone know the real answer?

Thanks in advance!

Just look at what you paid. If it wasn't included in the promo then you would have paid for it at time of booking. There will not be anything additional you would have to pay once onboard (besides possible state tax while in port)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will probably still tip the bartender/waitresses. I plan to bring some small bills on board for that.

Yes. A folded $1 bill passed to the bartender with your card is definitely appreciated by most. They'll take that and pass the card to their other hand to swipe at the register while the first hand slips into their pocket. :cool:

I believe it depends on when you chose it. If it was a perk learly last year it included gratuities. When we booked in May we had to pay the 18% extra. Since booking the rate went up but our TA was able to add it to our bill for the amount at time of booking. Bottom line - now you pay the 18% whether a perk or a purchase.

We have never sailed NCL but we are this time as we are taking our children and grandchildren and think there is more for them to do than on Celebrity. Celebrity's perk program included gratuities so I am new to this added charge.

Does add up for sure.

We are looking forward to our Breakaway cruise in April.

I wonder why they have us prepay tips on the beverage package when (I think) you have to sign for them anyway.

I am not much of a drinker -- four drinks would be a big drinking day for me. Two glasses of wine with dinner, a before drink and an after. That's a lot! Most days I'll have a glass of wine with dinner and probably nothing else.

It feels a little bit like I am subsidizing the heavy drinker's tips. I don't mind paying extra to help those in need, but this is pushing the boundaries of charity just a little! ;)

I wonder why they have us prepay tips on the beverage package when (I think) you have to sign for them anyway.

I am not much of a drinker -- four drinks would be a big drinking day for me. Two glasses of wine with dinner, a before drink and an after. That's a lot! Most days I'll have a glass of wine with dinner and probably nothing else.

It feels a little bit like I am subsidizing the heavy drinker's tips. I don't mind paying extra to help those in need, but this is pushing the boundaries of charity just a little! ;)

If you have the UBP you dont pay gratuity per drink.

6&8

We booked back in March of this year and got the UBP as part of the promotion being offered. I have received conflicting information from my travel agent and NCL directly. One says gratuities are not included and the other says they are since this was booked prior to June when the promotions changed to not include gratuities.

If you booked back in March, there will be no additional charges on your final payment and no additional charges onboard. You are always bound by the terms and conditions at the time the booking was made (even though it has changed over time).

If you have the UBP you dont pay gratuity per drink.

6&8

That's my point, we all prepay the same amount of tips regardless of the number of drinks we are served. The person who is served 100 drinks over the course of the week is paying the same amount for tips as the person who is being served 10 drinks over the course of the week.

Perhaps it was different at one time and there was no service charge attached to the free package. There is now, and it's a prepay and the same amount, no matter how many times someone serves you a drink.

• 3 weeks later...
That's my point, we all prepay the same amount of tips regardless of the number of drinks we are served. The person who is served 100 drinks over the course of the week is paying the same amount for tips as the person who is being served 10 drinks over the course of the week.

Perhaps it was different at one time and there was no service charge attached to the free package. There is now, and it's a prepay and the same amount, no matter how many times someone serves you a drink.

The gratuity on the "new" UBP is based on the (If you were to purchase it) cost of the UBP.

Therefore if you were to drink approximately 4 drinks per day, you are paying an 18% gratuity - If you drink 16 drinks a day you are paying a 4.5% gratuity (and also probably won't be walking)

You are not subsidizing the heavy drinkers "tip bill" and if they are polite, they will add a little whenever a drink is delivered.

I just asked Norwegian the same question today. I was told that the gratuities were included.

I will probably still tip the bartender/waitresses. I plan to bring some small bills on board for that.

You have to sign a receipt for every drink you order so it's easier for me to just add $1 in the tip line instead of carry around dollar bills.

Forgive me for jumping in on this thread, but as it is pretty much the same as my query, it's probably not worth me starting a new one.

Anyhow, I'm a novice cruiser and am thinking about booking a med cruise tomorrow on the Epic for next June. NCL are currently doing a promotion of free items for ocean view and above bookings ... http://www.ncl.co.uk/offers/freestyle-choice/

The terms and conditions state that "Ultimate beverage package option includes 18% gratuity on the package" so I assume that we will not have to pay this ourselves???

However, another explanation isn't as transparent (to me at least!) when it states "An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases". ... https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Finally, I gather that an additional 15% VAT is also chargeable for sailings from Spanish ports, which in our case is from Barcelona. Is this also included and covered in the "free" UBP or do we need to pay this ourselves?

Pardon my query, which may seem trivial to some, but I'm unsure whether we will in fact have to pay 18% + 15% (total 33%) for each "free" drink!

Unfortunately, being a very impatient soul, I want to know ASAP, and the NCL offices are now closed until tomorrow!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Forgive me for jumping in on this thread, but as it is pretty much the same as my query, it's probably not worth me starting a new one.

Anyhow, I'm a novice cruiser and am thinking about booking a med cruise tomorrow on the Epic for next June. NCL are currently doing a promotion of free items for ocean view and above bookings ... http://www.ncl.co.uk/offers/freestyle-choice/

The terms and conditions state that "Ultimate beverage package option includes 18% gratuity on the package" so I assume that we will not have to pay this ourselves???

However, another explanation isn't as transparent (to me at least!) when it states "An 18% gratuity and beverage service charge will be added to all package purchases". ... https://www.ncl.com/terms/ultimate-beverage-package

Finally, I gather that an additional 15% VAT is also chargeable for sailings from Spanish ports, which in our case is from Barcelona. Is this also included and covered in the "free" UBP or do we need to pay this ourselves?

Pardon my query, which may seem trivial to some, but I'm unsure whether we will in fact have to pay 18% + 15% (total 33%) for each "free" drink!

Unfortunately, being a very impatient soul, I want to know ASAP, and the NCL offices are now closed until tomorrow!

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Those who book through the British (or maybe it's European?) NCL sites do not have to pay gratuities on the UBP promo - it is included.

My understanding is that the 18% gratuity is either included (covered by NCL) in the package cost, or is added immediately to the amount owed for your final payment. You should see the 18% charge listed on NCL.com when you view you Vacation Summary / Payment. You will not be paying any service charge per-drink once you board, regardless of which promotion you booked under.

And taxes resulting from the ship being in port are charged per-drink as you order them, and only while the ship is within the borders of that port.

One more thing for those of you who "kind of" asked about a "per drink" tip - The Bartenders actually do receive an 18% gratuity for each drink that you receive while on board - If you are paying per drink, YOU are the one paying that Gratuity - If you have the UBP Norwegian is actually paying the gratuity.

The cruise lines came up with the "average" cost and gratuity long before they decided to offer that UBP, and I'm sure that - in the long run - they believe that they are at least coming up even, or they would never have given us the option.