Very disappointed!!

Lyndihop

I am a fan of the smoothies so have never tried a milk shake (or malt) but I have seen MANY people doing so. How bad can they be? (She asked ...)

Could it be a consideration of the ship? I remember on one cruise (on Regatta, I think, but it might have been Marina, several years ago) where the smoothies were fabulous until a new guy took over, when they were terrible. (Mostly water.)

I guess I'll have to try a milk shake sometime to see what *I* think... although unless things change, that won't be until a year from now ...

Mura

The milkshakes are bad IMHO. Finally figured out it was because they don't use fresh milk, they use that milk product from cartons that can be on store shelves for very long periods of time. Just not the same!

it seems Oceania and Regent both use this type of milk as it is the same on both. There are many days I really want a glass of cold milk for breakfast (fresh) while cruising but I just can't choke that stuff they serve down!

I know, not a big deal and many can't tell the difference but I notice it. Doesn't ruin my cruise experience!

Another vote for PG. Just want to comment on the very negative subject of this thread. While I understand the OP's concerns, it is really necessary to "color" this thread with negativity? Prices will go up every year (if not every quarter). Prices in the South Pacific are incredibly high so it is not surprising that cruise fares are increasing.

We have been to Tahiti four times (once on the PG and three times on land vacations). If you think that Oceania is expensive, wait until you pay over $50 for 2 burgers and 2 soft drinks on land (and that was several years ago). Tahiti has to be one of the most expensive vacation destinations on earth (and it is worth every penny!). Really advise you to do more research!

We have been to French Polynesia twice and yes it is very expensive. However, we have never paid $50 for 2 burgers. We eat local and not at the hotel so that may make a difference. We also stayed on Moorea which has options for dining other than hotels.

The milk shakes are Really bad. One is more than enough. Think of a glass of milk without the ice cream. :eek:

Tell them you want a milkshake like FDR's. He insists the only proper milkshake is one in which the straw stands straight up without tipping to a side, The only way to get that is more ice cream. If your's was thin, the soda fountain fellow was just lazy or hadn't been taught properly. No one is trying to horde the ice cream -- insist on what you want.

The milkshakes are bad IMHO. Finally figured out it was because they don't use fresh milk, they use that milk product from cartons that can be on store shelves for very long periods of time. Just not the same!

it seems Oceania and Regent both use this type of milk as it is the same on both. There are many days I really want a glass of cold milk for breakfast (fresh) while cruising but I just can't choke that stuff they serve down!

I know, not a big deal and many can't tell the difference but I notice it. Doesn't ruin my cruise experience!

Probably the only way they could get fresh milk on many cruises is to milk the sea cows (manatees) :D

LeeAnne : Yes - it was during the transition when Grand Circle Travel purchased the PG when things were bad for a while. Grand Circle used to be in the U.S. but after the way they treated their customers post "9/11", they pretty much disappeared from the U.S. In any case, Grand Circle was not familiar with high end cruising -- without Regent managing the ship, it probably would have continued to be a poor product. Regent stepped in the brought it up to the level it was prior to being sold to GCT.

TERRIER1: You're correct - the two burgers and two soft drinks for $50 was at a hotel. We were doing an excursion (swimming with dolphins) at a resort and spoke with a couple staying there. At the time, we were blown away by the prices. Nowadays, it isn't unusual to pay $30 for two burgers and two soft drinks in the area where we live (not high end restaurants). I can only imagine what they cost at that hotel in Tahiti (do not recall the island).

Thanks everyone for the comments. We have been to FP 4 times. Once at the Club Med in Moorea years ago. The old Ren. Then Regent and last was Princess. The PG was an ok ship. But I thought actually that Princess was a nicer one. We were lucky enough (before retirement) to have the Owner Suite on Princess. Now the food on the PG (10yrs ago) was excellent. The food on Princess-about the worst I'd had on a ship. But we have never went hungry on any cruise. I've looked into land. And believe it or not, it would be less. Most hotels offer a meal plan that we would take advantage of. And most likely go into town and grab some Hinano and wine to consume in our room. Some friends of ours did Oceania in FP last year and raved. So, we thought we'll try. And yes, I looked at the same room and basically same dates and it is around $2000 higher. So, looks like land.

PG is the best and one of my favorite cruises ever. Riviera is my favorite ship, but would never consider them for FP.

We did Tahiti to Sydney last year on the Marina and the whole trip was wonderful. Stayed 2 days in Moorea and 2 days in Papeete and 3 days in Sydney at the end of the cruise. Will look to do the same trip again in a few years and sure would do it on one of the O class ships. :):):)

Tell them you want a milkshake like FDR's. He insists the only proper milkshake is one in which the straw stands straight up without tipping to a side, The only way to get that is more ice cream. If your's was thin, the soda fountain fellow was just lazy or hadn't been taught properly. No one is trying to horde the ice cream -- insist on what you want.

Which is exactly how I have had them served every time:)

LeeAnne : Yes - it was during the transition when Grand Circle Travel purchased the PG when things were bad for a while. Grand Circle used to be in the U.S. but after the way they treated their customers post "9/11", they pretty much disappeared from the U.S. In any case, Grand Circle was not familiar with high end cruising...
I won't argue your comment about GCT not being familiar with high end crusing when they operated PG, but GCT still very much in business, and has in no way disappeared from the U.S. Indeed GCT marketing is entirely directed at U.S. customers.

Thom