Land Discoveries vs Private tours in St. Petersburg

coocooley

Another vote for Alla. Fantastic tour and young knowledgable guide. The tour was just as advertised but I would say make sure everything you want to see is included. A couple of us in our bus decided half way through that we would like to see the underground stations we had previously read about but the guide said she was not allowed to deviate from the attractions we had booked.

I am sure this could have been possible, as others have mentioned on this board, if we had requested this addition to a set tour when booking.

St Petersburg was fantastic and certainly the most memorable port stop we have ever been to.

------like to see the underground stations we had previously read about but the guide said she was not allowed to deviate from the attractions we had booked.

I am sure this could have been possible, as others have mentioned on this board, if we had requested this addition to a set tour when booking.

We were taken to the underground on our SPB De Luxe 2 day tour at 5pm.

Not rush hour, as it was a Friday and most workers leave work early afternoon, to go to their country houses. We had a ride on a train ( just one stop)

Our guide was Luba, who taught other guides in the winter. We also heard another guide, Alexander, who was knowledgeable on our canal trip. He taught in schools in the winter season ( our guide Luba was a retired teacher)

Edited by upwarduk

.....would like to see the underground stations we had previously read about but the guide said she was not allowed to deviate from the attractions we had booked.

St Petersburg was fantastic and certainly the most memorable port stop we have ever been to.

We did the 2 day "Grand Tour" with Alla. We went to an underground station and travelled on a train in the early morning, on day 2, I think. Looking at their website, they now appear to do it in the afternoon now.

I totally agree with Mrs Miggins re St Petersburg as a port of call - our visit was in June 2014 (on Queen Victoria) and we still talk about it. It was a great 2 days and well worth the excursion cost.

We are The Quest for the June 23 sailing. We have booked a 3 day tour with ALLA. They have been very good to work with so far and even customized a the tour to include some places we really wanted to see and limited the group to 10 people. Check them out at http://alla-tour.com

Also used this company can't recommend them highly enough. As posted before

Your ticket wavers the need for a visa if you are on a cruise ship. Rules on Russian Gov web site.

They paced the tour well, walking looking at sites monuments or museums followed by boat trip lunch so had a rest. Will include sights out side itinary if requested. Saw so much. Also you do not pay until second day.

2+ years ago we were in St. Petersburg and did a private tour while on an Oceania cruise. We consulted the Cruise Critic Port forum and contacted three tour companies. We didn't want any of the packaged tours as there were certain things we really wanted to see that were not on the list. There were four of us or two couples.

We wanted to see some of the WW2 siege memorials, as well as most of the normal sites. We also wanted to spend a whole day at the Hermatige Museum. We basically asked each tour group to tell us what it would cost for our particular tour. We also indicated that one couple wanted to see an opera at the famous opera house and have dinner nearby before the opera.

TJ Travel was the most accommodating and they provided us with a great tour. In fact on the day we were to go to the Hermatige there was a major marathon that disrupted traffic. Some of the people from the cruise ship were disappointed because their bus couldn't get to the museum. Our trour operator found out about the marathon while monitoring traffic, took us to a point where we could walk to the museum and police would allow us to cross when there was a break in the runners. Another time, when their was a traffic jam, they had us stop, hop on the subway to a place on our tour and then eventually the van was waiting to pick us up after we left the monument. St. Pete's had traffic!

They thought on their feet and improvised when needed. Very Russian!

They handled all the paperwork and make things work smoothly. Would hire them again. Check them out.

Edited by robert32asp

AZ Affecionados,

Does anyone know where Azamara usually docks in the St. Petersburg. We are not on the Schedule for the BIG port outside of the city, Marine Facade, for 2016 and others have suggested either the English Embankment or Lt. Schmidt? But I can't find an answer (no reply from AZ yet).

Just to add to the discussion, we used Alla in 2013 and I will be using them again. We had a great guide and two full days in St. Petersburg, seeing a lot more than the Celebrity tours did. Other CC's used SPB and TJ and everyone loved their guides and had a great experience. We ran into our fellow cruisers throughout the days at all the major sites, so I would say it's just a minor preference for what they are offering from each company since the tours cover all the major sites. Don't miss The Church of the Saviour of the Spilled Blood, St. Catherine's Palace and the Hermitage. We saw the St. Petersburg subway but didn't ride it and it was impressive but not a tour breaker if it's not offered!

If you are offered a chance to go to the local produce Market, do say yes, instead our group went to a very high end souvenir shop, but others who did the market loved the experience!

Has anyone been the Faberge Museum? It wasn't open when I was there last time, so it's on my to do list this time!

Turangi!

Does anyone know where Azamara usually docks in the St. Petersburg. We are not on the Schedule for the BIG port outside of the city, Marine Facade, for 2016 and others have suggested either the English Embankment or Lt. Schmidt?

Two years ago we docked at the English Embankment on Journey.