First night information

retiredkid

Will we find out ALL of the gala nights? Is the info listed on the 'daily' ?

It used to be in the On Location (the daily). Last couple of cruises it was listed on the front of our port booklet. The one with the maps and a tad of information. Right on the front page with the itinerary, sailing times and dress code for the evening. hope this helps :)

The first night is never a gala night. As Kazu said, when you get in your cabin there will be a number of items on the bed. One will have the schedule of ports, with the dress code for each night.

Reasons why formal/gala night is never on first night:

1. Some people may get their luggage too late (for Early dining).

2. HAL wants to sell cruisers on Spa/beauty items for the evening dress up.

3. HAL want the other extras sold as well - photos, drinks, etc.

It used to be in the On Location (the daily). Last couple of cruises it was listed on the front of our port booklet. The one with the maps and a tad of information. Right on the front page with the itinerary, sailing times and dress code for the evening. hope this helps :)

Here is a photo of what Kazu described, from our recent cruise:

Explorer%20Cover_zpshrkc1dq0.jpg

Dave

I have never noticed that!:o In the pic that Dave posted, that little schedule/itinerary is exactly what the front office gave me when I asked them when formal nights would be. Next time I will check the booklet first! Thanks, Kazu.

I have never noticed that!:o In the pic that Dave posted, that little schedule/itinerary is exactly what the front office gave me when I asked them when formal nights would be. Next time I will check the booklet first! Thanks, Kazu.
On our last cruise (N.A. last Dec) we didn't get the booklet, and didn't even notice until the end of the week! :)

Do know ahead of time how many Gala Nights there will be in a cruise? How and when do you find out?

Thanks.

It will be shown on your Boarding Pass (first page of e-docs) that you can access about 50 days out. However, that won't tell you which nights they are, and there could be fewer than stated there.

Edited by jtl513

Reasons why formal/gala night is never on first night:

1. Some people may get their luggage too late (for Early dining).

2. HAL wants to sell cruisers on Spa/beauty items for the evening dress up.

3. HAL want the other extras sold as well - photos, drinks, etc.

I've been told that the first and last nights weren't formal/gala goes back to the early 1900's when nobility and gentry dressed for dinner each night. Since the first and last days were "travel days", one wasn't expected to "dress" for dinner (traveling clothes were proper) since getting everything unpacked (first night) was problematic or having everything packed (last night) made it impossible.

We've been sailing for nearly 25 years and on several different lines. Over the years we've seen the dress code change from formal/semi-formal/resort to gala(it's not nearly as formal as it used to be) and resort. We've never dressed up for the first or last night of sailing, but then we've never done a cruise of less than 7 days either.